The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I am confused by the coming to rest concept. By definition, a ball that changes direction at some point is in a state of zero upward or downward motion. At this moment of change the ball is, however briefly, at rest. When it hits the floor, it bounces and has no real pause. But the dribble is not a bouncing motion off the hand, it involves control, a temporary stoppage of motion. At what point are you controlling the ball, and at what point have you crossed the line and allowed the ball to come to a state of rest? How do you as an official judge this? And what do fakes by the rest of the body have to do with this issue?
The guidelines (and that's all they are) that I use is that one change of direction is okay; more than one is not. So, the ball can go "down" in any single direction -- if it came up on the right, it can go down on the left (or forward, or back, or diagonal, ...). But, if the ball starts down on the right, then the player changes it (in the middle of pushing it down) to the left (or forward or back), that's a violation.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I like the way Bob explains this concept.

I've never really thought about putting it in words but that is very clear.

Too many of the kids are watching TV and copy the moves; however, as has been stated:

If you call it several times, they will dribble correctly.

We have had some coaches question the rules, but it's usually because they haven't made their kids aware of the changes and POE in FED for this year.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I noticed that even the NBA is making it a point of emphisis. Hopefully, the kids will learn how to correctly dribble the ball.