The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi Everyone, This is my first post here and I am a newbe official also. I ref at a large gym for Industrial and competitive leagues i.e. A-C. I made a call the other night that I "felt" was right. Offensive player A had possession, Defensive player A batted it loose and in the process Offensive player A touched the ball last before the ball bounced off offensive player B that was nearby and then Offensive player A regained possession without the ball touching the ground. Was this the correct call? I downloaded a set of NCAA rules and I really can’t find anything that fits this situation. Clarification on this would be appreciated.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is not traveling.
Traveling is described as moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while HOLDING the ball. In other words You must have player control(holding only) to travel.
when the defensive player batted the ball out of the offensive players hand(s) player control had ended.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome Aboard XPlayer

From what I understand how you presented this play, it is NOT traveling. Original Player lost control as the defender batted it away. With the new posession, the "original" ballhandler has a new dribble.

What rules does your league use? NFHS, NCAA, other???

Helpful hint....
Offense is usually identified as "A", i.e. A1, A2, A3, etc...
Defense is usually identified as "B", i.e. B1, B2, B3, etc...

Your situation would be...
A1 had the ball batted away by B1. The ball bounced off A2 and then was recovered by A1. At this point, A1 has the option to dribble, shoot or pass.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Welcome Aboard XPlayer

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
From what I understand how you presented this play, it is NOT traveling. Original Player lost control as the defender batted it away. With the new posession, the "original" ballhandler has a new dribble.

What rules does your league use? NFHS, NCAA, other???

Helpful hint....
Offense is usually identified as "A", i.e. A1, A2, A3, etc...
Defense is usually identified as "B", i.e. B1, B2, B3, etc...

Your situation would be...
A1 had the ball batted away by B1. The ball bounced off A2 and then was recovered by A1. At this point, A1 has the option to dribble, shoot or pass.
Also note that

(1) even if the ball had not been batted away by B1, and only went from A1 to A2 to A1 again, A1 still gets a new dribble.

(2) A1 can bounce the ball off of any other player and get a new dribble. Can't bounce it off the ref and get a new dribble, as the ref is "part of the floor".

(3) If you are striving to do your best reffing every time you work, you are to be congratulated for finding this board. It will be the most useful tool in your kit.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Thank you Gentleman, I appreciate your opinions and knowledge. I have asked about which rules we ref under and was told "none in particular". I know this sounds bad and it is at times with the "fudged" calls that are made by the other refs but I still want to do my best. I have choosen the NCAA rulebook as my guide. I'm sure if I am dilegent in the study of these rules I will become a better ref for it.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Xplayer
Thank you Gentleman,..
Hey, Dan, I did it without even trying!!
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 10:59am
In Memoriam

Welcome, Xplayer.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Thank you Gentleman,
X, I'm sure no offence was taken, but just so you know in the future, "rainmaker"'s real name is Juulie.

As to using no set of rules in particular, I would suggest that you learn the rules that most of your partners would be familiar with. If the league you work uses high school officials for the most part, then I would suggest learning the NFHS rulebook. This would also be helpful if you're planning to pursue officiating seriously in the US, since most officials start out doing HS games.

Welcome to the board! Good luck.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Thank you Gentleman,..
Hey, Dan, I did it without even trying!!
Attaboy...err girl....errrr...person of non-distinguishing chara.....wait wait I'm sure THAT aint what I want to say here.....

good job!

(phew...luckily my presence allowed me to get through that one)
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard

Glad to have you join us, X. I agree with Juulie, this will be the best tool in your bag if you lurk here and follow the discussions. And if you continue to ask questions. Good luck!