The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2023, 05:30pm
Administrator

2023-24 NFHS Basketball Shot Clock Guidelines

The OhioHSAA does not use a Shot Clock (Thank goodness, but that is a discussion for another day.) but as I was updating my NFHS Basketball files I came across a contradiction in a NFHS Basketball update concerning Shot Clock Administration for 2023-24.

My comment is directed to those Officials in States that utilize a Shot Clock.

At the end of the article (https://www.nfhs.org/articles/states...in-basketball/) which was dated October 05, 2023, instead of giving the link to the 2023-24 NFHS Basketball Shot Clock Guidelines (https://www.nfhs.org/media/7212525/2...ines-final.pdf) it gave the link to the 2021-22 NFHS Basketball Shot Clock Guideline (https://www.nfhs.org/media/4860212/b...nes-2021-1.pdf).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 08, 2023, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is the issue you have?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 08, 2023, 06:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Looks to be a link to an outdated reference that may have been superseded.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 08, 2023, 06:34pm
Administrator

Clarifications coming later this weekend.

Quote:

Peace

After receiving Jeff's question on Facebook I realized that I could have and should have done a better job of pointing out the differences between 2021-22 and 2023-24. I wish I could provide the link to 2022-23 Guidelines; I have a copy of it on my desktop (which is no longer connected to the internet but I have yet to transfer my desktop files to my laptop).

Everyone have a great weekend, and those who live on the East Coast batten down the hatches. And Jeff:

GO BLUE!!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 09, 2023, 11:14am
Administrator

I hope that this clarifies things.

OFFICIALS’ GENERAL DUTIES:

2021-22 Item (1)
reads: Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). Use a silent, visible 10-second count when there is no shot clock visible.

2022-23 Item (1) reads: Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). The 10-second count shall begin when the ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court, in the backcourt on a throw-in or on player control on a rebound or jump ball. Use a silent, visible 10-second count when there is no shot clock visible.

2023-24 Item (2 and 3) adds: Referee Play Pics showing the Signals to be used.

THE SHOT CLOCK OPERATOR SHALL:

2021-22 Item (6b-v)
reads: When a violation occurs;

2022-234 Item (6b-v) reads: When a violation occurs and the defense is awarded the ball for a throw-in;

2023-24 Item (6b-v) reads: When a violation occurs;
My NOTE: This was an unannounced Editorial Change which changed 2023-24 Item (6-v) back to 2021-22 Item (6-v) or it could be a typographical error which is my educated guess.

2021-22 Item (6b-vi) reads: After a held ball occurs during a throw-in, and the alternating possession arrow favors the team that did not make the throw-in;

2022-23 Item (6b-vi) reads: A held ball or any other situation where the alternating-possession arrow is used to determine team possession and the alternating-possession arrow favors the defense for the throw-in.

2021-22 Item (6b-vii) reads: After a held ball occurs during after an unsuccessful try that does not contact the ring or flange, and the alternating-possession arrow favors the non-shooting team;

2022-23 Item (6b-vii) reads: After the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbounds or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the defensive team;
My NOTE: This was an unannounced Editorial Change which changed 2021-22 Item (6-viii) to 2022-23 Item (6-vii).

2023-24 Item (6b-vii) reads: After the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbounds or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the defensive team;

Or …

2021-22 Item (6b-viii) reads: After the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbounds or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the defensive team;

2022-23 Item (6b-vii) reads: After the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbounds or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the defensive team;
My NOTE: This was an unannounced Editorial Change which changed 2021-22 Item (6-viii) to 2022-23 Item (6-vii).

2023-24 Item (6b-vii) reads: After the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are either inbounds or out of bounds or when there is doubt as to who last touched the ball and the possession arrow favors the defensive team;

And …

2021-22 Item (6b-ix) reads: There is an inadvertent whistle and there was no player or team control at the time of the whistle;

2022-23 Item (6b-viii) reads: There is an inadvertent whistle and there was no player or team control at the time of the whistle;
My NOTE: This was an unannounced Editorial Change which changed 2021-22 Item (6-ix) to 2022-23 Item (6-viii).

2023-24 Item (6b-vii) reads: There is an inadvertent whistle and there was no player or team control at the time of the whistle;

2021-22 Item (8) reads: Resetting the shot clock not to the full shot clock amount:
a. Reset the shot clock to 20 seconds when there is an intentionally kicked or fisted ball with less than 19 seconds on the shot clock.
b. State associations may determine, if there are other instances where the clock is reset, but not to the full shot clock amount.

2022-23 Item (8) reads: State associations may determine if there are instances when the clock is reset, not to the full 35 seconds.

2023-24 Item (8) reads: State associations may determine if there are instances when the clock is reset, not to the full 35 seconds.
My NOTE: I do not know why this was highlighted as a new change unless it was a typographical error) or it could be a typographical error which is my educated guess.

I now assume that my Pulitzer Prize winning prose has completely confused everyone I advise one and all to use the link (https://www.nfhs.org/media/7212525/2...ines-final.pdf) that I provided in my original comment for the 2023-24 NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines.

I would hope that those who officiate in States which use a Shot Clock would have their StateHSAA contact the NFHS for clarification. I would be interested in what the NFHS has to say. I am interested in what the NFHS (as well as the CIF) has to say because I officiated despite officiating 44 years of my 46 years of high school basketball in States (Ohio, Florida, and Michigan) that do not use the Shot Clock I officiated women’s college from 1974 to 2008, men’s college from 1993 to 2008 and girls’ high school in California from 1982 to 1984.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 09, 2023, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Let The Door ...

... hit you in the ass on the way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... I officiated despite officiating 44 years of my 46 years of high school basketball in States (Ohio, Florida, and Michigan) ... girls’ high school in California ...
So three different states kicked you out?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2023 at 01:49pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2023, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will say it this way. I think what was first proposed as guidelines was modified when they realized some of the possible applications by many states. Some states did not use or have a guideline at all so there was confusion on things like 10-second counts or resets to less than 35.

These were guidelines, they did not have to be used by any state in any way other than the 35-second clock.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 25, 2023, 07:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shot Clock Off ...

NFHS: Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). Use a silent, visible 10-second count when there is no shot clock visible.

Just discovered that NCAAW have a better guideline:

NCAAW: When the shot clock is off at the end of a quarter or overtime, officials would use the game clock to determine when a 10-second backcourt violation has occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 25, 2023, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will say it this way. I think what was first proposed as guidelines was modified when they realized some of the possible applications by many states. Some states did not use or have a guideline at all so there was confusion on things like 10-second counts or resets to less than 35.

These were guidelines, they did not have to be used by any state in any way other than the 35-second clock.

Peace
Both DC and MD have retained their prior shot clock rules (30-second shot clock reset), but now use a non-visible 10-second count in boys games. MD used to use a visible 10-second count for boys' games.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2023, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS: Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). Use a silent, visible 10-second count when there is no shot clock visible.

NCAAW: When the shot clock is off at the end of a quarter or overtime, officials would use the game clock to determine when a 10-second backcourt violation has occurred.
Yes. Rules change this year. Honestly, most of us used the clock anyway, even if we were swinging our arms (and many weren't even swinging the arm in the last 30 seconds of a quarter).
Old Tue Dec 26, 2023, 10:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I believe NCAA-Men's made that rule change last season or the season before.

Old Wed Dec 27, 2023, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I believe NCAA-Men's made that rule change last season or the season before.

The NCAA Men's CCA Manual still says " The T official must have a visible 10 second count whenever the shot clock is off". This means that, at least for this season, men's officials will continue using a visible count in the last 30 seconds of each period.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2024, 09:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Billy, I know you've discussed this before. Where or when was it written that a 10 second back court count after a throw-in does not start until the offense establishes team control?

Old Fri Feb 16, 2024, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ten Seconds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Where or when was it written that a 10 second back court count after a throw-in does not start until the offense establishes team control?
NFHS 9-8: A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

Been that way for all of my forty-plus years.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 16, 2024 at 10:48am.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2024, 11:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
NFHS 9-8: A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

Been that way for all of my forty-plus years.
I thought there was a citation at one point that stated when the 10 seconds count starts after a throw in.