The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Step Out Of Bounds ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/106063-step-out-bounds.html)

BillyMac Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:52am

First To Touch The Ball ???

9-3-3: Establishes that a player may step out of bounds without penalty unless they are the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court or if they left the court to avoid a violation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1051234)
... now has to know when the pass was released from an area where normally they shouldn't be looking or might not even be able to see at all.

A2 runs out of bounds around a double screen and comes back onto the court and catches a pass from A1 ...

A) A1 was holding (touching) the ball after A2 reentered the playing court.

B) A1's pass was already on the way (released) after A2 reentered the playing court.

Legal in A, illegal in B?

First to touch?

bob jenkins Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1051296)
9-3-3: Establishes that a player may step out of bounds without penalty unless they are the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court or if they left the court to avoid a violation.

A2 runs out of bounds around a double screen and comes back onto the court and catches a pass from A1 ...

A) A1 was holding(touching) the ball after A2 reentered the playing court.

B) A1's pass was already on the way (released) after A2 reentered the playing court.

Legal in A, illegal in B?

First to touch?

Both a violation.

SNIPERBBB Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1051297)
Both a violation.

The way I understood the interpreters presentation the other day A would be legal.

BillyMac Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:30pm

Win, Place, Show ...

Quote:

A2 runs out of bounds around a double screen and comes back onto the court and catches a pass from A1 ... A1 was holding (touching) the ball after A2 reentered the playing court

Wouldn't A2 be the second to touch the ball after returning to the court?

Wouldn't A1 be the first to touch the ball the ball after A2 returned to the court?

Raymond Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1051299)
Wouldn't A2 be the second to touch the ball after returning to the court?

Wouldn't A1 be the first to touch the ball the ball after A2 returned to the court?

Under your logic the rule would only apply if A2 came inbounds when no other player has PC.

The point of that particular element of the rule is to prevent A1 passing to A2 after A2 returns inbounds.

BillyMac Thu Oct 12, 2023 01:16pm

Purpose And Intent ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1051300)
Under your logic the rule would only apply if A2 came inbounds when no other player has PC.

The point of that particular element of the rule is to prevent A1 passing to A2 after A2 returns inbounds.

Gotta agree with you but that's not what the rule states.

This certainly would be illegal.

Quote:

A2 runs out of bounds around a double screen and comes back onto the court and catches a pass from A1 ... A1's pass was already on the way (released) after A2 reentered the playing court.

9-3-3: Establishes that a player may step out of bounds without penalty unless they are the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court ...

I've got lot of questions regarding the wording of this new rule.

Hopefully some new casebook plays (I haven't gotten my new casebook yet), or new annual interpretations (due soon) will clear this up.

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2023 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1051298)
The way I understood the interpreters predeythr other day A would be legal.

I am not sure what you mean by "interpreters predeythr" but in A it is legal if the never throw the ball to the player or throw it to another player first.

Peace

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2023 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1051300)

Or to prevent a player to go out of bounds and get a loose ball. Not as common but both situations fit under this rule.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Oct 12, 2023 03:21pm

First ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1051303)
in A it is legal if the never throw the ball to the player or throw it to another player first.

Agree.

Quote:

A2 runs out of bounds around a double screen and comes back onto the court and catches a pass from A1 ... A) A1 was holding (touching) the ball after A2 reentered the playing court.

Who was the first to touch the ball after A2 reentered the playing court?

A1 was the first to touch the ball after A2 reentered the playing court (he was touching it after A2 reentered the playing court before he passed it to A2).

9-3-3: A player shall not step out of bounds under the player’s own volition and then become the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court ...

Perhaps we should refer to A1 as "Player Zero"?

Is there an ordinal number for zero?

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2023 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1051305)
Agree.

Who was the first to touch the ball after A2 reentered the playing court?

A1 was the first to touch the ball after A2 reentered the playing court (he was touching it after A2 reentered the playing court before he passed it to A2).

9-3-3: A player shall not step out of bounds under the player’s own volition and then become the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court ...

Perhaps we should refer to A1 as "Player Zero"?

Is there an ordinal number for zero?

A1 was not the first to touch the ball. They had the ball already.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Oct 12, 2023 04:19pm

Simple Highly Rational Thoughtful Explanation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1051306)
A1 was not the first to touch the ball. They had the ball already.

Thanks JRutledge.

I really like your simple, yet highly rational and thoughtful, explanation.

Hopefully we'll get some new casebook plays, or new annual interpretations (due soon), to clear this up.

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2023 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1051307)
Thanks JRutledge.

I really like your simple, yet highly rational and thoughtful, explanation.

Hopefully we'll get some new casebook plays, or new annual interpretations (due soon), to clear this up.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...Case_plays.png

Peace

Raymond Thu Oct 12, 2023 04:59pm

In my 18 years of officiating men's college basketball, I may have made that call 5 times. I wouldn't obsess about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Thu Oct 12, 2023 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1051309)
In my 18 years of officiating men's college basketball, I may have made that call 5 times. I wouldn't obsess about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I had my first scrimmage last night of the season and I had an offensive player run out of bounds on his own and come back in, it was not a violation because they passed the ball to someone else.

Peace

bob jenkins Fri Oct 13, 2023 06:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1051298)
The way I understood the interpreters presentation the other day A would be legal.

Either your interpreter or your understanding of what was said is incorrect.