The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 12:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Was it really that bad?

I really enjoyed watching Caitlin Clark in the national semi, but I was unable to watch any of the Women's Final. This morning, however, I've heard several commentators say that the officiating was particularly poor. I expect to hear this from the loudmouths on TV, but I've heard from at least 3 people who are not normally ref-bashers.

For those that watched, did you find the officiating to be shaky? I honestly can't imagine the whole crew being bad for the whole game, but I've heard 2 different people say that the crew should not work the tournament again. But I honestly can't believe that it couldn't have been that bad, right?

Honest thoughts?
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, the game was not well-called.
The issue was that it was unclear what level of contact was a foul and what physical play was acceptable. The threshold was not defined well.
Early there were several whistles for minor contact, which probably should have been let go. Unfortunately, this put a few of the starters in foul trouble (especially from LSU) and forced them to the bench. The second quarter also had two (soft) offensive fouls on Clark for pushing the defender away after the defender was allowed to be physical and cause contact. So this seemed out of balance to me. Either whistle the first foul or allow both players to battle.

However, in the third quarter a post player from each team was permitted to turn into the defender while leading with an elbow to clear space. Neither was whistled as a PC. Both were looked at on the monitor without change. (Neither was an F1, but both should have been called PC during live action.) The first play had a defensive foul whistled and the second had nothing.
Then there was the technical foul, which was not a public display and easily could have been ignored given the game situation (time, score, foul count on a top player, etc.). I would fully support whacking a player for clear disrespectful behavior that everyone can see, but this was not that. Clark was huddling with her teammates, and if something was said only a couple of people heard it. (Note: She has been a complainer and displayed poor behavior in prior games this season.) If the T was for throwing the ball away, it came too late and from the official on the opposite side of the court, so I’m not convinced that was the cause.
Finally, what about the taunting by LSU at the end of the game? They have a large lead so a tech here isn’t going to alter the outcome, but it would send a clear message that such behavior is unacceptable, yet this was completely ignored.

Was it poor enough to warrant being blocked from future tournament assignments? No.
Not being assigned another Final Four contest? Maybe
The game management of these three officials didn’t seem to be at the level of a massive Final (media attention, big crowd, large TV audience).

My soccer officiating background has taught me that in such situations, over-calling the game deprives the audience of a show. They are watching to see a performance and the referee should strive to facilitate that. One should only penalize and remove the players when necessary. I’m convinced that being tight early to “set the tone” of the contest only serves to frustrate the players, coaches, and fans. Big games call for raising the threshold somewhat and using management skills to control the players and coaches. These officials just went straight to the whistle. The Iowa coach even commented following the game that she was particularly frustrated because the officials wouldn’t talk to her. So it was clearly a lack of personal skills and people management. Obviously, I wasn’t present in the building or on the sideline, but it seems that the wrong approach was taken by the officiating crew. I would have liked to see them manage the people more and blow the whistle less.
Of course, I’ve never been assigned an NCAA tournament game, let alone a Final.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Caitlin Clark Technical Foul ...

The pool report ... said "The second offense was when No. 22 from Iowa picked up the ball and failed to immediately pass the ball to the official after the whistle was blown."

I've been around interscholastic basketball (not intercollegiate basketball) for fifty-five years, as a player, coach, and official, and have never seen this called.

As an official I've warned players about this kind of activity on many occasions, even stopping the game to have a serious chat with the player, but I've never called it, or observed it called.

It takes a lot of courage by an official to call this on one of the top players in the nation, putting her in foul trouble, in a national championship game watched by millions of people.

The calling official must have had a good reason to call it?

If this happened in my biggest middle school game of the year, with one of my best middle school players, I would have definitely passed, or just warned.

But granted, I know more about rocket science than I know about NCAA rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 03, 2023 at 01:59pm.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I really enjoyed watching Caitlin Clark in the national semi, but I was unable to watch any of the Women's Final. This morning, however, I've heard several commentators say that the officiating was particularly poor. I expect to hear this from the loudmouths on TV, but I've heard from at least 3 people who are not normally ref-bashers.

For those that watched, did you find the officiating to be shaky? I honestly can't imagine the whole crew being bad for the whole game, but I've heard 2 different people say that the crew should not work the tournament again. But I honestly can't believe that it couldn't have been that bad, right?

Honest thoughts?
I found it to be completely different from the way that other games in the tournament were called. My observation is that the final game was called far tighter than many other games in the tournament and that tended to throw a lot of players and coaches off, especially in the first 2 qtrs.

Should they be denied future tournament opportunities? Probably not, but I do think game-to-game consistency needs to be looked at.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 02:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kim Mulkey ...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1642635083856191500

Maybe it was Coach Mulkey's bright outfit that made her stand out like a sore thumb, but if she is on the court and accidentally comes into contact with me in my high school game, at the minimum, she'll get a written warning in the book for her action.

But granted, I know more about rocket surgery than I know about NCAA rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 03, 2023 at 02:26pm.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hand Checking ...

Lots of hand checking allowed by both teams (more noticeable by Caitlin Clark defenders, Clark retaliated and was called for two player control fouls).

We've done a good job of cleaning up hand checking in Connecticut high school basketball since the NFHS rule language changes and point of emphasis.

I guess that freedom of movement is not a priority in wimmen’s college basketball?

(Just kidding, knowing the disdain that some have for 28.5 female basketball.)

Of course I know more about brain science than I know about NCAA rules.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 03, 2023 at 05:05pm.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right ...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1642650038886170624

https://twitter.com/i/status/1642649994216833026

Angel Reese follows and taunts Caitlin Clark for eight seconds.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1640182237005004801

I know that Clark did it in the semifinals (I saw it and didn't like it), but Reese's taunt in the finals seems different, longer, targeted, mean spirited, and less enthusiastically spontaneous than Clark’s taunt.

As an official I may have missed Clark's short-lived semifinal taunt (if I saw it I would have addressed it), but the eight second final taunt in my high school game would have definitely gotten my attention and a technical foul.

Reese said that it was disrespectful for Clark to do it to sister SEC school South Carolina, I agree, but it was also disrespectful for Reese to do it to Clark.

At least Clark didn't follow around her South Carolina opponents for eight seconds and stick it in their face.

Of course I know more about brain surgery than I know about NCAA rules.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 04, 2023 at 02:22pm.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

When players draw attention to themselves, especially on the biggest of stages, there is a chance that players might respond when they get the chance. Not the first time that has happened in sports. Seen it with Lebron James or Tariq Hill of the KC Chiefs or when teams go after a team dance or some gesture from the fans (Florida and Florida State come to mind). This is no different and could have been addressed better, but it wasn't.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 03:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unsporting Activity ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is no different and could have been addressed better, but it wasn't.
Agree.

I will never, ever, be able to fully understand the "pressure cooker" situation of an NCAA Final Four official, but if this unsporting activity, by both Clark and especially by Reese, happened in my high school game, I hope that I would have the courage to address it.

This is my beloved game of basketball, not my son's beloved "sport" of professional wrestling.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 03, 2023 at 04:08pm.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

What I will never understand, why is it in the Women's game you see actions you see nowhere else and it is hardly ever addressed. Mulkey can act a fool and no one gets in her chest and says, "Will you knock it off!!!" You hardly see them talk to her while she acts like a maniac. She almost touched and official yesterday and the officials appeared to do nothing at all. Don't touch me, I cannot touch you. It is either indifference or fear of what they might do or say.

In the Regional of this Tournament the SDSU coach went off after the officials made a great call during a loose ball. The SDSU coach could hardly react and he was T'd up. Then there was an officials basically addressing him after the T and you did not see another blow up in that game or one that matched the one where he got penalized. You never see what Mulkey does at the Men's side. At least not consistently.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's What Little Girls Are Made Of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... in the Women's game you see actions you see nowhere else and it is hardly ever addressed.
Sugar and spice and everything nice.

Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I didn’t watch the entire game but did see Mulkey’s histrionics (on the court multiple times??) and Angel Reese’s clear taunting actions (too small, pointing at her ring finger while staring at Clark), both of which the crew did nothing about. Yet they got Iowa for a DOG and subsequent T on a technicality that probably doesn’t meet the spirit and intent of the rule.

Iowa coach definitely has a legitimate gripe on these plays.

I haven’t heard anyone in officiating or non-officiating spheres come close to suggesting that the officiating was at an acceptable level, much less in the biggest game in WBB history.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Apr 03, 2023 at 07:48pm.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 06:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
2023 NCAA-W National Championship plays of note

1Q
630 – Iowa #22 called for tripping (CC)
512 – potential defensive foul on LSU #55
511 – Iowa #25 called for offensive foul (appears to be CC)
328 – Iowa #25 called for defensive foul. Defender appears to be legal, seems like the Lead reacted to contact. Pain tolerance play. The first clear miss imo.
202 – Iowa #44 called for defensive foul. Same as foul at 328. Defender appears to be legal, seems like the Lead reacted to contact. Pain tolerance play.
123 – Iowa #14 called for handcheck. Very poor call imo, virtually no contact and zero affect on RSBQ. In fact the defender falls down on the play. If the Slot holds their whistle it’s an easy play on. Leads to bonus free throws for LSU.
58.1 – LSU #10 called for hit on arm. On replay #2 appears to swipe the ball.
52.4 – LSU #55 called for a HORRIFIC hand check. Total east-west movement, no RSBQ affected, defenders 2nd foul, right after questionable foul six seconds earlier. Leads to free throws.
5.1 – Iowa #45 called for a travel that is clearly wrong imo.

That’s six IC in the 1Q, five in the last 2:02. Almost impossible for any crew to survive that.
At 58.1, the ball clearly went off the foot or knee of the Iowa player. If you think it is a foul, call the foul. But she was far away making that call. I am surprised the lead did not see that and help her out. Unless it was one of those, "I did not call the foul, but gave them the out of bounds" kind of situations.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 03, 2023, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I talked to several women’s officials and they mentioned handchecks are called very tightly at the D1 level, and also very inconsistently.

If that’s true, that’s a shame. Multiple soft calls that you won’t see in NCAA-M, NBA, or the W.
Well then I blame the coaches, as they’re the ones who are giving that directive to the national coordinator. Maybe there will be some philosophical changes now given the outrage?

I’ve noticed in NCAA-W that they don’t talk players out of cheap handchecks or post fouls, something that is quite common and generally accepted in the men’s game (just look at Jeff Anderson).
Old Tue Apr 04, 2023, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2023 NCAA-W National Championship plays of note

1Q
630 – Iowa #22 called for tripping (CC)
512 – potential defensive foul on LSU #55
511 – Iowa #25 called for offensive foul (appears to be CC)
328 – Iowa #25 called for defensive foul. Defender appears to be legal, seems like the Lead reacted to contact. Pain tolerance play. The first clear miss imo.
202 – Iowa #44 called for defensive foul. Same as foul at 328. Defender appears to be legal, seems like the Lead reacted to contact. Pain tolerance play.
123 – Iowa #14 called for handcheck. Very poor call imo, virtually no contact and zero affect on RSBQ. In fact the defender falls down on the play. If the Slot holds their whistle it’s an easy play on. Leads to bonus free throws for LSU.
58.1 – LSU #10 called for hit on arm. On replay #2 appears to swipe the ball.
52.4 – LSU #55 called for a HORRIFIC hand check. Total east-west movement, no RSBQ affected, defenders 2nd foul, right after questionable foul six seconds earlier. Leads to free throws.
5.1 – Iowa #45 called for a travel that is clearly wrong imo.

That’s six IC in the 1Q, five in the last 2:02. Almost impossible for any crew to survive that.

2Q
850 – LSU #5 called for a travel. In my opinion, not an obvious travel.
636 – LSU #45 called for handcheck as dribbler blows right by. Never affects RSBQ that I can tell.
629 – LSU #13 called for defensive foul prior to dribbler pushing off. Tough play I have as CC.
625 – Iowa #22 called for offensive foul for hooking/swim stroking defenders arms.Excellent call imo, but I wish the official had reacted quicker. Optics are poor when whistle comes well after coach histrionics on sideline.
559 – LSU #0 called for rebounding foul. Broadcast angle is tough, but #0 appears to lift to the ball. At this point the LSU coach needed to be addressed imo, but the only official who saw the reaction was Slot opposite table. Hard to force a switch to address the coach in this situation.Defender appears to be legal, seems like the Lead reacted to contact. Pain tolerance play.
325 – Iowa #22 called for offensive foul on push-off. Tough play that I think has to be a CC as there is extension by the offensive player.
301 – ANOTHER handcheck on an east-west play, zero effect on RSBQ, leads to free throws. I'm scratching my head on this….four poor handcheck calls can’t be a coincidence. This must be an NCAA-W thing. It’s baffling, FOUR game interrupters, three of which led to free throws.

3Q
808 – Iowa #25 called for defensive foul. I do think this is correct, the initial elbow by offensive player does not land (very close), and the secondary contact is with the offensive players shoulder as she rises to shoot. I think this play is defendable.
751 – Iowa #25 called for delay of game. She taps it yes, but this causes no appreciable delay and could have been ignored imo.
713 – LSU #0 called for defensive foul with some grazing elbow contact (marginal). Consistent with 808 play on other end.
657 – LSU #4 called for traveling. I think the pivot might move 2-3 inches, there is no way this is an obvious travel.
312 – LSU #45 called for a travel. Looks ugly as the player momentarily bobbles the ball trying to gain control, but when the player finally gathers the ball and starts the dribble, I don’t see a travel. Not a huge miss and some probably would call this a CC.
259 – no call on potential offensive foul by Iowa #45. Does look like an offensive foul to be, but closed to Slot. Would have liked to see Lead get this. Bad spot on floor as all three officials are potentially stacked.
118 – should have been a rebounding foul on LSU #4 imo. Lead could have gotten if wider, and even Trail could have come late. Leads to bench warning on Iowa.
103 – defensive foul on Iowa #25 followed by Iowa #22 throwing the ball away. 100% a delay of game warning, although I think it is a terrible rule that the DOG technical gets charged to a player. Should be a team technical. In any regard, it was poorly communicated with TV that this was a technical for a 2nd delay of game.
38.5 – LSU #45 places the ball on the ground after a foul call…perfect opportunity to hit LSU with a delay of game warning.

4Q
801 – LSU #0 called for defensive foul. I see nothing worthy of a foul call here. Baffling why Trail felt this was an obvious foul.

Additional points: don’t have timestamps but Angel Reese doing the “too short” gesture while staring at an opponent should have gotten a technical foul as should have Kim Mulkey for being on the court protesting a no call when the official basically held her back.
For anyone else interested in reviewing the plays of note - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPq0...xanderKachusov