The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 04, 2023, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Try

Shot clock winding down. A1 is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting before the shot clock expires, but releases the ball after it expires.

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 04, 2023, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Two FTs for A1.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2023, 02:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Shot clock winding down. A1 is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting before the shot clock expires, but releases the ball after it expires.

Discuss.

Is there a monitor involved?

Was the try successful?

I believe in NCAA Men's without a monitor, there is one rule for the game clock and a different rule for the shot clock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Feb 04, 2023 at 02:48pm.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2023, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Try

No monitor involved. Situation described was an NFHS game with a shot clock. Shot was indeed successful.

This was kind of a slow-developing continuous motion play right under the basket. Frankly I think the game/shot clock should have stopped at the whistle before the release (I’m not sure if they were synchronized, but believe they were).

Whistle was certainly before the shot clock expiration. Does that matter?

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sat Feb 04, 2023 at 08:52pm.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No monitor involved. Situation described was an NFHS game with a shot clock. Shot was indeed successful.

This was kind of a slow-developing continuous motion play right under the basket. Frankly I think the game/shot clock should have stopped at the whistle before the release (I’m not sure if they were synchronized, but believe they were).

Whistle was certainly before the shot clock expiration. Does that matter?

Yes, in my opinion that matters. Both clocks should halt on the whistle.
I would count the goal and award one FT.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Isn't there some NFHS case play where a player is fouled before the game horn, but the timer can't get the clock stopped in time and then the ball is released? Use the same ruling for the shot clock scenario (NCAA with replay could be different)
Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 07:55am
Courageous When Prudent

I am posting the entirety of A.R. 349. The note at the end tells me we do not count a goal if it is released after the shot clock expires, even if a foul is ruled to have occurred prior to the expiration of the shot clock.

A.R. 349. Near the end the first or second period or any overtime period, A1 is fouled in the act of shooting but before releasing the ball for a try. After the foul, the shot-clock horn sounds followed immediately by the release of the ball for a shot attempt and the sounding of the game-clock horn. A1’s try is:

1. Successful; or
2. Unsuccessful.

RULING 1: When a foul and a try for goal sequentially occur at the expiration of time on the shot clock, the official shall use the monitor to determine whether the foul and try occurred before the sounding of the shot-clock horn. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the expiration of the shot clock but the try was not released before the sounding of the shot-clock horn, the foul shall be penalized. With the use of the monitor, the official shall be permitted to put the exact time on the game clock when the foul occurred. When the officials determine that time should be put back on the game clock, the shot-clock horn should never have sounded and the goal shall count.

2: The official shall use the monitor to determine whether the foul occurred before the expiration of time on the shot clock. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the expiration of the shot clock, the foul shall be penalized. When it can be determined, the official shall be permitted to put back on the game clock the time which elapsed since the foul occurred.

NOTE: When this play situation occurs at any other time during the game, the shot-clock violation would preclude the counting of the basket. The shooter would be awarded two free throws.

Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I am posting the entirety of A.R. 349. The note at the end tells me we do not count a goal if it is released after the shot clock expires, even if a foul is ruled to have occurred prior to the expiration of the shot clock.

A.R. 349. Near the end the first or second period or any overtime period, A1 is fouled in the act of shooting but before releasing the ball for a try. After the foul, the shot-clock horn sounds followed immediately by the release of the ball for a shot attempt and the sounding of the game-clock horn. A1’s try is:

1. Successful; or
2. Unsuccessful.

RULING 1: When a foul and a try for goal sequentially occur at the expiration of time on the shot clock, the official shall use the monitor to determine whether the foul and try occurred before the sounding of the shot-clock horn. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the expiration of the shot clock but the try was not released before the sounding of the shot-clock horn, the foul shall be penalized. With the use of the monitor, the official shall be permitted to put the exact time on the game clock when the foul occurred. When the officials determine that time should be put back on the game clock, the shot-clock horn should never have sounded and the goal shall count.

2: The official shall use the monitor to determine whether the foul occurred before the expiration of time on the shot clock. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the expiration of the shot clock, the foul shall be penalized. When it can be determined, the official shall be permitted to put back on the game clock the time which elapsed since the foul occurred.

NOTE: When this play situation occurs at any other time during the game, the shot-clock violation would preclude the counting of the basket. The shooter would be awarded two free throws.

So basically, in NCAAM, if near the end of a period (which is kind of subjective, but I digress) and there’s a monitor, we nuke this out. Otherwise, no basket, award 2FT. Is that how to read this?

Interesting that NCAAM would go out of its way not to allow for any definite time knowledge on the part of the crew with whistle vis-a-vis clock.

Anyone know of any related NFHS case or interp? Or does this represent a clarity gap in the infancy of its shot clock era?

Old Sun Feb 05, 2023, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

The foul may have influenced when the shot was released.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2023, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Update: My interpreter confirmed that as the whistle should have stopped the clocks and precluded expiration of the shot clock in the first place, it was correct to score the goal and award one free throw, which is what we ultimately did.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2023, 11:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Update: My interpreter confirmed that as the whistle should have stopped the clocks and precluded expiration of the shot clock in the first place, it was correct to score the goal and award one free throw, which is what we ultimately did.

What rule set are you using for your shot clock games?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2023, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What rule set are you using for your shot clock games?

The IAABO Shot Clock addendum. It’s in that newly formatted rule book that IAABO hastily put together last summer after they didn’t get their permission to re-print Fed materials renewed by NFHS.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2023, 12:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The IAABO Shot Clock addendum. It’s in that newly formatted rule book that IAABO hastily put together last summer after they didn’t get their permission to re-print Fed materials renewed by NFHS.

To me that ruling makes sense. Don't know why NCAA-Men's is going with that note from A.R. 349.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2023, 04:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is there a monitor involved?

Was the try successful?

I believe in NCAA Men's without a monitor, there is one rule for the game clock and a different rule for the shot clock.

Quote:

A.R. 349.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
To me that ruling makes sense. Don't know why NCAA-Men's is going with that note from A.R. 349.
They must be listening to me:
TO: NCAA Division I, II and III Coordinators of Men’s Basketball Officials.
Bulletin No. 4 — February 9, 2023, Videoconference Follow-Up.

Clarifications.

2. End of Shot Clock Period — To promote consistency between A.R. 167 and A.R. 349, the note in A.R. 349 shall be removed. The application of the note in A.R. 349 is inconsistent. Now, A.R. 349 shall be officiated consistently throughout the entire game in line with A.R. 167 and A.R. 349.

Play situation: Near the end of the shot clock period at any point in the game, A1 is fouled in the act of shooting, but before releasing the ball for a try. After the foul, the shot clock horn sounds, followed immediately by the release of the ball for a shot attempt. A1’s try is successful.

RULING: When a foul and a try for goal sequentially occur at the expiration of time on the shot clock, the official shall use the monitor to determine whether the foul and try occurred before the sounding of the shot clock horn. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the expiration of the shot clock, the foul shall be penalized, and the goal shall count. With the use of the monitor, the officials shall be permitted to put the exact time on the game clock when the foul occurred.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 09, 2023 at 05:41pm.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2023, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Play situation: Near the end of the shot clock period at any point in the game, A1 is fouled in the act of shooting, but before releasing the ball for a try. After the foul, the shot clock horn sounds, followed immediately by the release of the ball for a shot attempt. A1’s try is successful.

RULING: When a foul and a try for goal sequentially occur at the expiration of time on the shot clock, the official shall use the monitor to determine whether the foul and try occurred before the sounding of the shot clock horn. When it is determined that the foul occurred before the expiration of the shot clock, the foul shall be penalized, and the goal shall count. With the use of the monitor, the officials shall be permitted to put the exact time on the game clock when the foul occurred.
But what about in games when there is not a monitor?