The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2023, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Halftime Scorebook ...

Below was a local IAABO Refresher Exam question earlier this year.

The home (official) scorebook is taken to Team A’s locker room at halftime. The officials assess a technical foul to Team A. Is this correct?

I figured it to be a very simple question but was surprised (and embarrassed) that many in my Refresher Exam study group incorrectly agreed that the penalty was a technical foul.

2-11-11: … The official scorebook must remain at the scorer’s table throughout the game, including all intermissions.

2.11.11 SITUATION: Team A’s scorebook is the official scorebook for the game. Team A’s scorer is requested by Team A’s head coach to bring the scorebook to the locker room at halftime to review several pieces of information. RULING: Prohibited; the scorebook shall remain at the table throughout the game, including all intermissions. There is no specific penalty for removing the scorebook; however, if the officials believe the scorebook was removed as an unsporting act, it could be penalized accordingly. (10-1-8; 10-3-6; 10-4-1)

While I don't believe in jinxes, after forty-plus years of never having had this occur in a game (as far as I know), I had it occur twice in the past two weeks in my middle school games.

The first time I just happened to notice it missing.

Yesterday, we really needed it after the visitor scorer (who was oddly only keeping score for her team (not the home team) in her scorebook at her bench, not the table) and the scoreboard operator had a polite difference of opinion during halftime regarding the visitor score shown on the scoreboard.

It took several minutes to finally get the home (official) scorebook from the locker room, and then several more minutes to get everything straightened out (difference was a free throw that was wiped away by an offensive lane violation), which was made more difficult because neither scorer was recording any type of running score!

Both scorers were students (which I normally don't have a problem with), and the adult scoreboard operator was a first time scoreboard operator filling in for the regular adult scoreboard operator.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, middle school games are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 28, 2023 at 03:25pm.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2023, 03:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Halftime Home (Official) Scorekeeper ...

Was there ever a rule in ancient times that not only did the home (official) scorebook have to remain at the scorer’s table throughout the game, including all intermissions, but that the home (official) scorekeeper also had to remain at the scorer’s table throughout the game, including all intermissions?

Or did I dream that ancient times rule?

C'mon Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., I'm desperately phoning a friend here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 28, 2023 at 07:31pm.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 09:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Was there ever a rule in ancient times that not only did the home (official) scorebook have to remain at the scorer’s table throughout the game, including all intermissions, but that the home (official) scorekeeper also had to remain at the scorer’s table throughout the game, including all intermissions?

Or did I dream that ancient times rule?

C'mon Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., I'm desperately phoning a friend here.

The Rule referenced in the Refresher Exam was adopted in the mid-1970s a couple of years after I started officiating and the very first year the Rule was adopted I had a boys' JV game mid-way through the season in Miami, Florida, where the Home Scorer was the wife of the JV HC. The 2nd QT had ended and naturally my partner and I waited for the Teams to leave their Bench areas to go to their dressing rooms. As we watched them do this I watched as the Wife handed the Book to her Husband and he started to walk off the Court with his Team. I ran after the two of them and informed them that the Book had to stay at the Table. They both started to give me grief and I told them that the Rules mandated that the Book was to remain at the Table. Only the threat of an Unsportsmanlike TF made him comply with the Rule.

That is the one and only time I had such a problem.

There has never, been to my knowledge, that required the Scorer to remain at the Table with the Book.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 31, 2023, 10:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Eraser ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The 2nd QT had ended and naturally my partner and I waited for the Teams to leave their Bench areas to go to their dressing rooms. As we watched them do this I watched as the Wife handed the Book to her Husband and he started to walk off the Court with his Team.
More importantly, did he walk off the court with a pencil with an eraser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
There has never, been to my knowledge, that required the Scorer to remain at the Table with the Book.
Thanks Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 31, 2023 at 10:20am.