The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2023, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Player watching opponent huddle

So tonight during that last time out of the game for Team A, one of Team B's players roams to near half court trying to peek into Team A's huddle to see the last second play being drawn up by the coach.

Team A notices this and tells the refs to get the opponents out of the vicinity of the huddle. Ref kinda shrugs his shoulders and keeps walking. Team B player goes back to their huddle to inform coaching staff what he saw. Team A defends the play like they knew what was coming.

Anyway, is this a violation any sort? Seems like it should be, but I cant find it. If it is a violation is a warning or a technical foul. Thanks in advance for answering.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2023, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

There are two NFHS rules which govern this situation and require team members to be within the confines of their time-out area during the time-out. As you can see from the cited rules below, the player should not have been allowed past the 28 foot line which denotes the end of the team bench and the coaching box. That player should have been removed from near half court and not permitted that vantage point.

NFHS rule references for where players and team members need to be during time-outs:
5-11-2&3:
ART. 2 . . . A single 60-second time-out charged to a team shall not exceed one minute and shall be conducted within the confines of the time-out area. A warning signal for the teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining. Such a time-out shall not be reduced in length unless both teams are ready to play before the time-out is over.
ART. 3 . . . A single 30-second charged time-out shall not exceed 30 seconds and players shall remain standing within the time-out area. A warning signal for teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining. No on-court entertainment should occur during this time.

1-13-3:. . . The time-out area shall be the area inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2023, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

While there is no penalty specified, if the team or team members refuse to comply with the time-out area requirement after being instructed by an official, it would be considered unsporting behavior and warrant a technical foul.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2023, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Timeout Areas ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with all said here.

But if it’s not a time-out (e.g. coach huddling with players during free throws), I’ve got nothing. Want privacy? Buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk