The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2023, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Foul reporting mechanics

It’s been a few years since I’ve called games, but I’m wondering if something has changed on reporting fouls. I’ve noticed an increasing number of officials don’t move to the reporting area when reporting fouls, use both hands when signaling the number, don’t verbalize the call, and in some cases don’t even signal the type of foul. Has something changed with the mechanics and I missed it?

Doubting that anything has changed, I find myself oscillating between anger at what appears to be laziness and sadness from what I’m sure is a lack of training and lowered standards from what I’m sure is a byproduct of the manpower crunch, which I fully acknowledge I’ve contributed to by stepping away so I could be a parent and not have to choose between accepting assignments and watching my children play.

I guess my question is twofold: Has anything changed on the mechanics? And if not, is the community here seeing the same issues I am and have a different take?
Old Sat Jan 14, 2023, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two-Hand Foul Reporting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
... use both hands when signaling the number ... Has something changed with the mechanics and I missed it? ... Has anything changed on the mechanics?
2017-18 NFHS Basketball Comments on the Rules

Officials to use two hands when reporting fouls (2-9-1): Officials will now use two hands to indicate to the scorer the number of the offender. The right hand of the official will give the tens and the left hand of the official will give the ones. If the number is 32 the right hand would show the scorer the three and left hand would show the scorer the two while verbalizing 32. Both hands of the official are shown to the scorer at the same time.

Two-Hand Foul Reporting (Rule 2-9-1 Signals)
•The Official will move to the designated reporting area on the floor.
•Make sure that you have the attention of the scorer prior to giving the numbers.
•Indicate the color of the jersey for the player who fouled.
•The Official shall report fouls to the scorer by using two hands to display the jersey number of the person who committed the foul.
•The official’s right hand will indicate the first digit of the number or the tens and the left hand will indicate the second digit of the number or the ones.
•The official shall extend the arms shoulder high towards the table to display the numbers.
•The digits of the number should be displayed at the same time.
•When reporting, the official shall verbalize the number as twenty-four not two-four.
•The scorer will view the number in a left-to-right sequence.
•Indicate the type of foul using the proper signal.
•If one, two or three free throws are to be attempted, indicate the number of free throws by using one hand.
•If the team is in the bonus for the seventh, eight of ninth foul, indicate the bonus situation raising both hands and display a raised index finger on each hand.
•If the foul is a team control foul, after the official signals the specific type of foul, the official will turn and signal such … indicating no free throws will be attempted.
•After reporting and if no free throws are to be attempted, the official will turn from the table and indicate the throw-in spot to resume play.

Reporting area, verbalizing the call, and signalling the type of foul hasn't changed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 14, 2023 at 01:36pm.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2023, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Nothing has changed except for two-handed reporting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 14, 2023, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Relaxed Mechanics ...

Quote:
... officials don’t move to the reporting area when reporting fouls ...
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we all go to the reporting area for our local IAABO board commissioner assigned interscholastic (varsity high school, junior varsity high school, freshman high school, and middle school) games, however, many that work other types of games (recreation, travel, AAU, etc.), often assigned as multiple games (doubleheaders, tripleheaders, etc.), will often use "relaxed mechanics" that often include no switching on every foul and not necessarily going all the way to the reporting area (just break away from the players to be easily seen by the table).

When in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 15, 2023 at 03:14pm.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 02:13am
Do not give a damn!!

I care more about how officials report, rather than where they ultimately get to. The purpose of foul reporting is ultimately to give information to the scorer. Yes officials have to get to a certain area to properly do this, but I am often concerned when watching officials do they give concise signals and report what actually happened.

I guess we all have our peccadillos.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
First, thank you for the mechanics update. This may be my last year any of my son’s play basketball so I’ll probably end up in a camp or two to address what I’ve missed.

I think part of why this bugs me is that one of my first partners drilled in to me that the little things matter. He never made me feel bad about my judgement calls. Question them, yes but from a spirit of growth. He said judgement comes with time, but the little things are what show professionalism and helps build credibility. The game that finally pushed me to ask was my son’s middle school game this weekend. Admittedly it’s a lower level and probably newer officials, but both officials were reporting fouls from the end line in a couple of cases while holding the ball with players surrounding them lining up for free throws. I could the scorer was having difficulty keeping up with it at times.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Catholic Middle School ...

Quote:
... middle school game this weekend ... probably newer officials, but both officials were reporting fouls from the end line in a couple of cases while holding the ball with players surrounding them lining up for free throws.
Sounds like they also didn't switch on fouls either, typical of "relaxed mechanics".

For over twenty-five years I worked a Catholic middle school league. Assignments were usually double, triple, or quadruple-headers. Six minute periods. Assigner wanted games to start on the "hour", or as close as possible.

While the assigner was strict about officials uniforms (no shorts or sweat pants) and all-black shoes, officials "hustling", coach behavior, and player "fashion" uniform and equipment issues, he allowed for "relaxed mechanics". Only switch when convenient, report from the free throw line, bounce the ball across the lane, no pregame coach/captains meeting.

In no way would any of this be even close to acceptable in assignments from our high school (and public middle school) assignment commissioner. No way would one be "moving up the ladder" if evaluated while doing such "relaxed mechanics", even if just a few of them.

Bottom line, do what one's assigner expects of one.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 15, 2023 at 03:43pm.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Control the things you can control. If your partners are not doing something, might want to have a deeper pre-game about that part. Otherwise not much you can do if they are doing their own thing.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 17, 2023, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...a byproduct of the manpower crunch, which I fully acknowledge I’ve contributed to by stepping away so I could be a parent and not have to choose between accepting assignments and watching my children play.
Just wanted to say...if you're feeling guilty about your choice to step away...don't! Your reasons are yours, and good on you for putting your family first!