View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2023, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Foul reporting mechanics

It’s been a few years since I’ve called games, but I’m wondering if something has changed on reporting fouls. I’ve noticed an increasing number of officials don’t move to the reporting area when reporting fouls, use both hands when signaling the number, don’t verbalize the call, and in some cases don’t even signal the type of foul. Has something changed with the mechanics and I missed it?

Doubting that anything has changed, I find myself oscillating between anger at what appears to be laziness and sadness from what I’m sure is a lack of training and lowered standards from what I’m sure is a byproduct of the manpower crunch, which I fully acknowledge I’ve contributed to by stepping away so I could be a parent and not have to choose between accepting assignments and watching my children play.

I guess my question is twofold: Has anything changed on the mechanics? And if not, is the community here seeing the same issues I am and have a different take?