Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2022, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Official assaulted

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...-game/2932555/
Old Sat Dec 31, 2022, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Scary how quickly things can escalate. My fiancee came to my games last night, she said that after my second game (championship game of JV tourney) the parents were getting into it...even a child calling someone a "fat bitch"

This isn't life and death, people...it's a game.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2022, 04:26pm
wife loves the goatee...

The first game my wife attended that I officiated was also her last. She said that what was being said about my partner and me was more than she was willing to listen to. (This was a "polite" middle school game almost twenty years ago in a "nice" town).
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 04:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

MA also had a football official assaulted on the field during the Fall season a few months ago
Old Tue Jan 03, 2023, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Family & Officiating

In between "real" association memberships when I was doing rec ball only my wife came to a game I did. Someone was giving me the business, she put up with it for a bit, then turned on the guy and said "Do you know how much training he goes through to officiate? How many camps? How long he's been doing this? I guess that's the difference between him who actually do something and people who only stay in the stands!"

There was silence for a moment, then the girl who was with the guy just muttered "Well, guess you had that coming..."

Second incident was again with my wife, only she had our two young-ish sons with her. I had just started up with my association and was working a girls MS game. About halfway through the 1st period the kids turned to her and said "Mom, why's everyone yelling at dad?" She had to explain to them that they weren't yelling at me specifically but the referee.

She also told me one of the boys MS coaches was seated in front of her. Someone sat down next to him and asked him how the referees were. The coach responded "Old and older." That one still cracks me up. Strangely, after the coach and I got to know each other and he moved to school administration (and therefore couldn't coach anymore) when I relayed the event to him he was embarrassed. I assured him it was cool and only a funny memory.

Getting back to the original post, though, crap like having battery committed upon you, or being accused of committing battery on a player during a game, is why I hung up the whistle. Hope they prosecute the accused and he learns a lesson from it.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just two nights ago I tossed a coach, who came back onto the floor (out of line of sight) just before the game ended and literally ran after me as I was trying to make my way off the floor.

Before he could get all the way to me, one of his assistant coaches grabbed him as he lunged at me, stuck a finger in my face and screamed to me about how bad I suck. As I turned to the locker room and said "Coach, that's a third technical" loud enough for everyone to hear, he was still being led away forcibly.

I don't want to think about what might have happened if the AC hadn't been there.

Anyway, yeah, this kind of stuff is getting out of control and makes me wonder how much I really want to still be doing this.