The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 26, 2022, 01:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Excessive Manufacturer Logo On Jersey (Uniform) ...

3.6.1 Situation: A6 enters the game with an excessive manufacturer’s or school’s logo on his/her: (a) socks, (b) wristbands or (c) jersey. Ruling: Legal in (a). In (b) and (c), A6 may not participate and is directed to return to the bench until legally equipped. Comment: The restriction on visible manufacturer’s or school’s logo size is in effect on jerseys, pants/skirts, compression shorts, wristbands and headbands. The shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform for purpose of visible logo size.

Agree with both (a) and (b).

Disagree with (c).

Isn't the penalty for an illegal uniform (jersey) a direct technical foul to the head coach, loss of coaching box, two free throws plus the ball for a division-line throw-in?

After such a penalty isn't A6 allowed to participate?

3-4-2-a: Uniforms: Logos/flags/patches must adhere to the following: A visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted on the team jersey, not to exceed 2¼ square inches with no dimension more than 2¼ inches.

10-6-4: Head Coach’s Rule: The head coach must not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform (see 3-4).
Penalty: Two free throws plus the ball for a division-line throw-in. The foul is charged directly to the head coach … (Art. 4) Penalized when discovered. (Arts. 4, 5) Only one technical foul is charged regardless of the number of offenders.

I found these (below) on my hard drive, research for an article that I never wrote.

Technical fouls for illegal uniforms (including illegal numbers) are not charged to the team, but are charged directly to the head coach. If a team member participates as a player while wearing an illegal uniform, then a direct technical foul is charged to the head coach, who will lose the coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This infraction is penalized when discovered, and the team member with the illegal uniform may participate without further penalty and is not required to change the number. A maximum of one technical foul shall be charged directly to the head coach regardless of the number of offenders.

10.5.4 Situation B: Team A is wearing jerseys that have a visible manufacturer’s logo above the neckline. Team B’s coach informs the official of the logos just as the ball is about to be inbounded to begin the second quarter. Ruling: Illegal jerseys. A technical foul is charged directly to Team A’s head coach when the infraction is discovered. Team B is awarded two free throws followed by a division-line throw-in opposite the table. Team A’s head coach has lost his/her coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game in states utilizing the optional coaching box. (3-4-2a)

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
Situation 2: A team has members with No. 0 and No. 00 listed in the scorebook and it is discovered (a) with 14 minutes on the clock prior to the game, (b) with 8 minutes on the clock prior to the game or (c) after the game starts. Ruling: In (a), changes can be made without penalty. In (b), if a number is changed in the scorebook, a team technical is charged. The offended team is awarded two free throws and a throw-in at the division line to begin the game. The arrow is toward the offending team. If no changes are made to the scorebook, no infraction has occurred. In (c), after the game starts, there is no infraction if only one of the team members (No. 0 or No. 00) participates. If the second team member wishes to participate, the result is an illegal number when "discovered." The penalty is a direct technical foul on the head coach for an illegal uniform. Two free throws and a division line throw-in for the offended team and loss of coaching box privileges for the offending coach. The second team member (with the illegal uniform number) may participate without further penalty and is NOT required to change his/her number. Another possibility exists after the game starts when one of the team members wants to change his/her number prior to participating. The result is a team technical foul (no loss of coaching box) for changing the scorebook. Comment: No team should have both No. 0 and No. 00 on its regular roster. The infraction is likely due to bringing a player up or down a level. Therefore, it is possible the team has access to other legal uniforms to replace a uniform with an illegal number. (3-4-3d; 10-1-2; 10-5-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 26, 2022 at 03:06pm.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2022, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Agree. C is wrong. An illegal uniform is an illegal uniform and it has a defined penalty. It doesn't matter if it is an illegal number, illegal color, or illegal logo. They're all treated the same.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2022, 03:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Uniform ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree. C is wrong. An illegal uniform is an illegal uniform and it has a defined penalty. It doesn't matter if it is an illegal number, illegal color, or illegal logo. They're all treated the same.
Thanks for confirming.

Stupid NFHS.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Sep 27, 2022, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

The case has been in the book since at least 19-20.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2022, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's Paying Attention ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The case has been in the book since at least 19-20.
... And nobody brought it to the attention of the NFHS? There is absolutely no way that I was the first to note and question this ruling.

Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 10:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... And nobody brought it to the attention of the NFHS? There is absolutely no way that I was the first to note and question this ruling.

I am sorry that I was asleep at the wheel. I also missed it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Identical Numbers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3.6.1 Situation: A6 enters the game with an excessive manufacturer’s or school’s logo on his/her: (a) socks, (b) wristbands or (c) jersey. Ruling: Legal in (a). In (b) and (c), A6 may not participate and is directed to return to the bench until legally equipped. Comment: The restriction on visible manufacturer’s or school’s logo size is in effect on jerseys, pants/skirts, compression shorts, wristbands and headbands. The shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform for purpose of visible logo size.
To confirm:

Agree with both (a) and (b). Disagree with (c).

Penalty for (c) should be a direct technical foul to the head coach, loss of coaching box, two free throws plus the ball for a division-line throw-in, and A6 is now allowed to participate.

Also, maximum of one technical foul for illegal uniform infractions, no matter how many illegal uniforms are discovered (with any type of infraction, logos, illegal numbers, etc.).

However, identical numbers shall not be allowed on the same team and are a separate technical foul, a team technical foul.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 29, 2022 at 12:22pm.