The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 01:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost Cut My Hair (Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young, 1970) …

I'm updated my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules.

Does this year's change ...

Hair control devices and adornments made of hard material (such as, but not limited to, barrettes, bobby pins, and beads) of any color are permitted provided they are securely fastened close to the head and do not present an increased risk to the player, teammates, or opponents.

... impact anything in last year's change?

Players are permitted to wear head coverings for religious reasons without obtaining state association approval. The head covering shall not be made of abrasive or hard materials and must be attached so that it is highly unlikely to come off during play.

I can't come up with any real life examples of how the rule language in these two rule changes impact each other, but was just wondering.

How about a kaffiyeh, taqiyah, shemaghnoun, hijab, or ghutra held in place with a wooden hoop?

Or a yarmulke made of hard plastic?

Yeah, I'm know that I'm pushing the limits of rational thought here, but I was just wondering.

"Hard" was always illegal, now it's sometimes legal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 29, 2022 at 01:30pm.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Realistic Example ...

I came up with a more realistic example.

Religious head covering? Yes.

Hard beads close to the head? No

What if the beads were closer to the head?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 29, 2022 at 02:11pm.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is this really an issue? I have never once had this come up in any game I have ever worked but the long sleeves and no one cared. You cannot go to your people and ask?

Peace
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is This Really An Issue ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is this really an issue? I have never once had this come up in any game I have ever worked ...
No it's not.

As I've already stated, I'm updating my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules (and I'm actually presenting the list to a group of Christian school league coaches and game officials in a few weeks).

Not only I am updating the list with the new 2022-23 rule regarding hard hair control devices and adornments, but I just realized that I failed to update last year's list with the 2021-22 religious head covering change.

While updating both changes to the list, I stumbled over the word "hard".

I'm know that I'm pushing the limits of "real game" situations, but I was just concerned about my wording on the list in regard to both rule changes.

Quote:
... long sleeves and no one cared.
Of course no one cared because long sleeves, on jerseys and/or on undershirts, have always been legal.

Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 10:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

For Christian Official Eyes Only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm actually presenting (The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules) to a group of Christian school league coaches and game officials in a few weeks.
I plan to start the presentation with an opening prayer:

Basketball Official’s Prayer
Heavenly Father, we thank You for the privilege of officiating basketball games.
Protect us from injury and help us to be quick and agile on our feet.
Give us Your wisdom and guidance as we make decisions.
May we officiate with honor and integrity, representing You well.
May we trust in Your guidance and know that You are with us always.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.

Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Of course no one cared because long sleeves, on jerseys and/or on undershirts, have always been legal.
What if the long sleeves do not match the color of the jersey? Still legal by "rule?"

BTW, this happened before they changed the rule basically not caring what someone wears when they are following their religious expression. But at the time this was not addressed. Many people did not want to get involved. My state specifically had to issue a statement that this was not to be penalized. A few years later the NF officially made that their position. Again, no one was trying to die on that hill.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 02:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Long Sleeves ...

Quote:
What if the long sleeves do not match the color of the jersey? Still legal by "rule?"
Exceptions to not allow long sleeves could include color, frayed edges, unequal length, and/or illegal logos.

Bottom line, as long as I've been officiating, long sleeves on high school jerseys and undershirts have been legal (assuming nothing else is illegal).

Quote:
A few years later the NF officially made that their position.
JRutledge may be correct. I don't remember it that way, but I've forgotten a lot of things over forty-plus years.

Maybe it (long sleeves) was a case of if it's not illegal, it's legal?

I honestly don't remember the NFHS ever saying anything about long sleeves being illegal.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 30, 2022 at 03:42pm.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Between A Rock And A Hard Place ...

Quote:
I'm updating my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules ... Not only I am updating the list with the new 2022-23 rule regarding hard hair control devices and adornments, but I just realized that I failed to update last year's list with the 2021-22 religious head covering change. While updating both changes to the list, I stumbled over the word "hard" ... concerned about my wording on the list in regard to both rule changes.
Here's my updated "Fashion Police" section.

Notice how I cleverly avoided saying anything about "hard" religious head coverings.

"The things I did not say never hurt me." (Calvin Coolidge)

Players may not participate or even warm up while wearing jewelry. Medical alert medals and religious medals are not considered jewelry. A medical alert medal must be taped, and may be visible. A religious medal must be taped, and worn under the uniform. Players are permitted to wear head coverings for religious reasons.

Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey, and shall not have frayed edges. Undershirt sleeves shall be the same length. Note that this rule does not require all players to wear the same length sleeves on their undershirts, but each individual player must have sleeves the same length on the undershirt when worn. Players are required to tuck in jerseys that are designed to be tucked inside the shorts.

Headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey. All of these items shall be the same color as worn by each player. Additionally, all of these items shall be the same color for all members of a team who choose to wear them. Anything worn on the arm, and/or the leg (except a knee brace), is defined as a sleeve, including knee pads, and elbow pads, and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey. Only a single headband may be worn on the head, and headbands are not allowed to have extensions or tails. Wearing pre-wrap tied in the back as a headband is legal provided it meets all the guidelines for a headband. Only one moisture absorbing wristband is permitted on each wrist, and each wristband must be worn on the arm below the elbow. One visible manufacturer’s logo or school logo is permitted on wristbands, headband, compression shorts, undershirts, and arm and leg compression sleeves. The size must be limited to 2¼ square inches.

Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color may be used to control hair. Hair control devices and adornments made of hard material (such as, but not limited to, barrettes, bobby pins, and beads) of any color are permitted provided they are securely fastened close to the head and do not present an increased risk to the player, teammates, or opponents. Headbands go around the entire head (and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey), while hair control devices only go around hair and are under no color restrictions.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 30, 2022 at 04:03pm.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 04:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Exceptions to not allow long sleeves could include color, frayed edges, unequal length, and/or illegal logos.

Bottom line, as long as I've been officiating, long sleeves on high school jerseys and undershirts have been legal (assuming nothing else is illegal).

JRutledge may be correct. I don't remember it that way, but I've forgotten a lot of things over forty-plus years.

Maybe it (long sleeves) was a case of if it's not illegal, it's legal?

I honestly don't remember the NFHS ever saying anything about long sleeves being illegal.
I did not say that long sleeves themselves were illegal, if you read what I was saying you are talking about something that had a religious expression to it. That can apply to long sleeves if the sleeves do not at all match the jersey. In most situations, I have seen where mostly a girls must cover up her arms and does not go find the color of the jersey to match her sleeves. So the jersey is white and the undershirt and long sleeves are black. Does not fit the current rule and even the old rule as it applies to the color requirement. But if you are doing something for religious or values reasoning, then you can wear them without penalty. And maybe some states have different guidelines for what is acceptable, but in my state, before all these matching stuff mattered and even before the definition of a hair-controlling device was clearly stated, we allowed it when someone did something for religious expression. And if you are that confused about what is allowed, talk to your local people about it, we do not need to go through this incessant debate with yourself about what should be allowed by NF rule. States are there for interpretation for a reason.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Take The Bull By The Horns ...

Quote:
... religious expression to it ... long sleeves if the sleeves do not at all match the jersey ... girls must cover up her arms and does not go find the color of the jersey to match her sleeves ... jersey is white and the undershirt (with) long sleeves (is) black. Does not fit the ... rule as it applies to the color requirement. But if you are doing something for religious or values reasoning, then you can wear them without penalty.
Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. Religious expression possibly "trumping" the undershirt color rules.

I had this exact situation several years ago in a girls varsity game. Long sleeved black undershirt, worn for religious reasons, under a white jersey. Early in the season, so I allowed her to play contingent on her getting the correct color undershirt in the near future (kicking the can down the road). To be honest, I'm not sure what I would do if I saw her later in the season with the same illegal undershirt.

Now with a "regular" (not religious reasons) player, I would offer three choices: change the undershirt to the proper color, remove the undershirt, or not play.

But a player wearing such for religious reasons does not have the choice of removing the illegal undershirt.

I don't believe that there are any NFHS color restrictions on religious head coverings, does the also mean that there are no NFHS color restrictions for long sleeved undershirts worn for religious reasons?

I'm not sure that the current NFHS rule is clear on the answer, however, I'm leaning toward no color restrictions on religious head coverings, but color restrictions for long sleeved undershirts worn for religious reasons.

That's why we have state associations. JRutledge's state association was wise to "take the bull by the horns" rather than ignoring the issue and leaving it up to the interpretation of individual officials.

Of course, here in my little corner of Connecticut, we have many varsity officials who completely ignore illegal undershirts, even when there are no religious issues involved.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard, "But the referee we had in our last game didn't say anything about undershirts", then I could finally buy that villa in Tuscany I've been wanting to purchase.

Quote:
My state specifically had to issue a statement that this was not to be penalized. A few years later the NF officially made that their position.
You sure (no NFHS color restrictions for illegal color long sleeved undershirts worn for religious reasons)?

NFHS citation please.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 30, 2022 at 05:26pm.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2022, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

State Association Approval ...

Quote:
You sure (no NFHS color restrictions for illegal color long sleeved undershirts worn for religious reasons)? NFHS citation please.
If you're talking about this (below), the NFHS still requires state association approval (as JRutledge's state association apparently did).

2011-12 Basketball Rules Changes
A new note was added authorizing state associations to grant exceptions to NFHS playing rules for participants with disabilities, special needs, and/or extenuating circumstances.

2013-14 Basketball Rules Changes
3-5-1 Note Each state association may, in keeping with applicable laws, authorize exceptions to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants with disabilities and/or special needs, as well as those individuals with unique and extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not fundamentally alter the sport, heighten risk to the athlete/others, or place opponents at a disadvantage.

Last year's rule change removed the state association approval for religious head coverings, but only for religious head coverings, no mention of removing color restrictions on long sleeve undershirts worn for religious reasons, that's still up to each individual state.

Or did JRutledge mean that his state did this (extenuating circumstances) unilaterally before 2011-12, before it was actually allowed to do?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 30, 2022 at 06:32pm.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2022, 06:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

My state has long addressed religious expressions and did not give a darn how it was done, but only cared that that was the reasoning. So if the long sleeves were black and the jersey is white or gold, we were not to not allow the player to participate. The NF's position came later.

Not sure why this is difficult. I said clearly what was the situation.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 01, 2022, 07:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Clarification ...

Quote:
The NF's position came later.
Was the NFHS "position" (citation) specifically in regard to wrong color long sleeves for religious reasons, or was it for general "unique and extenuating circumstances"?

Was the NFHS "position" (citation) for all high school basketball (wrong color long sleeves for religious reasons), or just for states that decide to "grant exceptions"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 02, 2022 at 01:48pm.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2022, 08:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unique And Extenuating Circumstances ...

Quote:
2011-12 Basketball Rules Changes
A new note was added authorizing state associations to grant exceptions to NFHS playing rules for participants with disabilities, special needs, and/or extenuating circumstances.

2013-14 Basketball Rules Changes
3-5-1 Note Each state association may, in keeping with applicable laws, authorize exceptions to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants with disabilities and/or special needs, as well as those individuals with unique and extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not fundamentally alter the sport, heighten risk to the athlete/others, or place opponents at a disadvantage.
All (below) possible with state association approval with interpretations based on NFHS 3-5-1 Note.

Senior with a hard arm cast starts the Senior Night game, participates in the jump ball, and "plays" for a few seconds before being substituted for.

Special education student plays few minutes near the end of a blow out game and is "allowed" to travel slightly before scoring a basket.

One disabled student in a wheelchair "plays" a few minutes in a home game even though the NFHS does not specifically have any rules for wheelchair basketball.

Home team wears pink uniforms for a special Cancer Awareness Night.

Player is allowed to play while wearing a black long sleeve undershirt (for religious reasons) under a white jersey.

Etc.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 02, 2022 at 10:06am.