Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2022, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/hair-a...ketball-rules/
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 09:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Not much to write home about. I guess we have to see what those adornment and hair rules involve.

Peace
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hair Adornments Made Of Hard Material ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not much to write home about. I guess we have to see what those adornment and hair rules involve.
Bobby pins? Barrettes? Beads?

Beads attached to the ends of very long braids? How close to the head?

Hair adornments made of soft material? Ribbons?

Color restrictions?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 05, 2022 at 12:22pm.
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rule Changes ...

2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rule Changes

May 03, 2022

The allowance of hair adornments made of hard material has been clarified in high school basketball. Adornments made of hard material are permitted provided they are securely fastened close to the head and do not present an increased risk to the player, teammates or opponents.

This change to Rule 3-5-4d was approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Basketball Rules Committee at its annual meeting April 11-13 in Indianapolis. The recommendation was subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

The committee adjusted the rule to be inclusive of hair styles while maintaining that the risk of injury to the athlete and others not be compromised.

“It was extremely important to the rules committee to create rules language that supported diversity of hair trends while minimizing the risk of injury to the athlete, teammates and opponents,” said Lindsey Atkinson, director of sports and liaison to the Basketball Rules Committee. “Creating educational tools through case plays and the annual NFHS Basketball Rules PowerPoint will be the focus of the committee.”

Adjustments were also made to the Shot Clock Guidelines in the Basketball Rules Book as states begin to implement its use by state association adoption this season. The committee reiterated that the Shot Clock Guidelines are strongly suggested, but not required.

In addition, the Shot Clock Guidelines were simplified to suggest a full reset of the shot clock after a ball is intentionally kicked or fisted. However, states may choose to institute a partial reset in these instances, if desired.

According to the latest updates, four states have adopted full use of the shot clock since last year’s rules changes: Iowa, Minnesota, Montana and Utah. Three others have adopted it for limited use: Nebraska, South Carolina and Florida. Ten state associations previously had implemented or approved a shot clock prior to the NFHS rule change: California, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Washington and the District of Columbia. Idaho has tentatively approved a shot clock with a second vote coming in June.

The Basketball Rules Committee identified three points of emphasis for the upcoming season, including promoting good sportsmanship. The points also focus on reducing illegal contact in post-play, off-ball play and through hand checks. The third point of emphasis reminds officials to first address illegal uniforms, equipment and apparel directly with the head coach and not players.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed May 04, 2022, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Bobby pins? Barrettes? Beads?

Beads attached to very long braids? How close to the head?

Hair adornments made of soft material? Ribbons?

Color restrictions?
I would rather wait until this is specified because it is possible those are not what they are talking about. Also, many players that are African-American or of African decent wear things in their hair that is part of their hairstyle that is not these things. So I am wondering if this is kind of what they are addressing, but that is an assumption. Just a trend with some laws that used to kind of outlaw certain hairstyles and now that is becoming a norm.

Peace
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Thinking Out Loud ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would rather wait until this is specified because it is possible those are not what they are talking about.
Note all my question marks.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 04, 2022 at 12:40pm.
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ten Seconds ...

Wonder if the NFHS will broach and clarify the difference between the actual ten second rule (start count at possession) and the shot clock guidelines posted last year (use shot clock to count ten seconds, starting count at touch)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 04, 2022 at 12:47pm.
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun In The Layup Line ...

Quote:
The third point of emphasis reminds officials to first address illegal uniforms, equipment and apparel directly with the head coach and not players.
Instead of, "You can't play with those earrings", we have to say, "She can't play with those earrings".

Odd?

Old Wed May 04, 2022, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Instead of, "You can't play with those earrings", we have to say, "She can't play with those earrings".

Odd?
Not sure what you mean by "odd?".

I've been addressing HCs or ACs with those types of issues since I can't remember when.
Old Wed May 04, 2022, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Of Course, As Usual, When In Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not sure what you mean by "odd?". I've been addressing HCs or ACs with those types of issues since I can't remember when.
For me, only if the player gives me a problem will I go to the head coach.

95% of the time, it's me watching the layup lines, spotting a jewelry, undershirt, headband, sleeve, etc., issue, and saying something directly to the player, who usually complies. That's the way everybody here in my little corner of Connecticut has been doing it for over forty years.

Can't wait to discover why the NFHS thinks it's wrong to say, "You can't play with those earrings".

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 04, 2022 at 04:10pm.
Old Thu May 05, 2022, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

I believe the idea is that illegal uniforms/apparel are first and foremost the HC's responsibility. Same reason that playing with an illegal uniform has been a direct TF to the coach since 2008. (I don't miss the days of starting the game with ten free throws.)
Old Thu May 05, 2022, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Odd?
In track and field, we've been doing this for a few years now.

You want to pole vault with stud earings...have at it.
You want to pole vault with big hoops that have the potential of getting caught in the landing system and ripping your ear apart...I have no intention of letting that athlete compete while wearing those earrings.
Old Thu May 05, 2022, 08:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Meeting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy View Post
I believe the idea is that illegal uniforms/apparel are first and foremost the HC's responsibility.
Sounds plausible.

2-4-5: The referee must: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

Old Thu May 05, 2022, 09:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Sounds plausible.

2-4-5: The referee must: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.
It's more than plausible, it's what makes sense. Instead of dealing with individuals, you deal with a single person in authority over all the individuals.

"Coach, your players cannot participate with earrings"

"Huh? Who has on earrings?"

"For example, the player grabbing the rebound right now in the lay-up line"

"Thanks, we'll take care of it"

As opposed to:

"Why are you sending my player back to the bench?"

"I told him during warm-ups he couldn't play with earrings"
Old Thu May 05, 2022, 10:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Point Of Emphasis ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Instead of dealing with individuals, you deal with a single person in authority over all the individuals.
Sounds like something the NFHS would say. I bet that Raymond turns out to be correct.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 05, 2022 at 11:08am.