The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Participating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
When they become a player and the ball becomes live they have participated.
Sounds good. When do they stop "participating"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Participate no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds good. When do they stop "participating"?
When is a player no longer a player? A player stops participating when they become bench personnel, an intermission begins, or the game ends.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ...

Quote:
When is a player no longer a player? A player stops participating when they become bench personnel, an intermission begins, or the game ends.
Is a player "participating" during the dead ball period between a live ball violation (travel) and the subsequent disposal to an inbounder?

Even if one substitute was beckoned in, and one player left the court during that dead ball, are the other "players" (possibly an "extra") not involved with the substitution still "participating" during that dead ball?

Quote:
Team A has six team members participating, which goes unobserved by the officials. Official calls a travel violation on Team A. There are no substitutions after the whistle. Before administering the throw in, officials observe that Team A has six team members (on the court) ...
Is a player "participating" during a timeout?

Quote:
A) Head coach of Team B requests, and is granted, a timeout, at which point he immediately complains to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. The sole purpose of his timeout is to call attention to the officials that Team A has six team members participating. Officials, who have been unaware that six team members have been participating up until that point, count six Team A members on the court before they head into their timeout huddle.

J) Made basket by Team A, immediate time-out by Team A is granted by the officials, officials notice six team members departing the floor for Team A.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 10, 2022 at 02:05pm.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... It wasn't discovered during the live ball ... You either recognize it in time or not.
Live ball?

Discovered during the short (few seconds) dead ball time period between a made basket and disposal? Not discovered (counted) before, not discovered after, but during the dead ball time period? Whistle to "count" prolonged the dead ball and prevented the disposal.

Maybe the official was reacting to a fan yelling, "Six players", and didn't actually count until the ball was dead.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 10, 2022 at 02:49pm.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Live ball?

Discovered during the short (few seconds) dead ball time period between a made basket and disposal? Not discovered (counted) before, not discovered after, but during the dead ball time period? Whistle to "count" prolonged the dead ball and prevented the disposal.

Maybe the official was reacting to a fan yelling, "Six players", and didn't actually count until the ball was dead.
I was referring to the end of quarter situation.

I think a player is participating if they're in the game and the ball has been live. They became a player when the ball became live. They're a player until something happens to make them not a player. Once such an event occurs, it becomes too late to penalize.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Has Been Live ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think a player is participating if they're in the game and the ball has been live. They became a player when the ball became live. They're a player until something happens to make them not a player. Once such an event occurs, it becomes too late to penalize.
Quote:
A player stops participating when they become bench personnel, an intermission begins, or the game ends.
Sounds good. I like Camron Rust's statement, "the ball has been live". It's better than, "the ball is live".

So if one, during a dead ball, were to count an extra player walking into a granted timeout, it wouldn't be too late to penalize?

Intermissions are different because nobody is a player during an intermission.