The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2022, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Just For IAABO Members ...

It was announced locally that the annual IAABO International Handbook (that normally contains the IAABO constitution and member roster, an IAABO Mechanics Manual, a NFHS Rulebook, and a NFHS Casebook) will, beginning in 2022-23, no longer contain a NFHS Rulebook, and a NFHS Casebook.

Have any other IAABO members heard about this?

I'm aware that these two books can be purchased from the NFHS website ($10.00 each).

How do those outside of the IAABO galaxy usually obtain their NFHS Rulebooks, and NFHS Casebooks?

A few years ago, our state association (CIAC) wanted our six local IAABO boards to join the NFHS through our CIAC existing membership (with an increase in our CIAC membership fee). Every other Connecticut high school sport does this (joins the NFHS through our CIAC), but not basketball. We fought the proposal using the argument that we already get our NFHS Rulebook and NFHS Casebook in the IAABO Handbook, a good argument at the time.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore".

Does membership in the NFHS, through a state association, mean free, or discounted, rulebooks and casebooks?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 26, 2022 at 03:14pm.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2022, 07:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How do those outside of the IAABO galaxy usually obtain their NFHS Rulebooks, and NFHS Casebooks?
For Virginia, when we register with the VHSL through our association. They are sent to the association and then distributed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Mar 25, 2022, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Not Just For IAABO Members ...

I have officiated in six states (WI, OK, RI, CA, KS, VA). With the exception of RI, which has the same IAABO affliction that CT does, I have always received my NFHS books through the state association (either directly or through a subordinate officials association) as part of registration fees.

Got books AND the entire Referee Enterprises supplemental library in CA. That CBOA package is impressive! And expensive….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Fri Mar 25, 2022 at 09:35pm.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2022, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

With Board 12, I typically got the rulebook and casebook as part of the IAABO manual. Cardinal (VA) has rulebooks mailed to them from the VHSL office and there are pick-up dates for members in different areas of Cardinal territory. The DC groups receive (or at least received) books from the DCSAA office. That said, I paid for e-books from the NFHS app the last few years.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2022, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

In OH, we get a copy of the rules/case book every year. They stopped giving us the mechanics manual several years ago.

I wish they would stop sending us the books, but instead give us a free copy of the online books as opposed to making us pay (every year!) for the same product.

I'm assuming our state/local fees go towards subsidizing the costs of the books, so I'd be perfectly OK with those funds going to the folks that maintain and support the online product.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2022, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Both Indiana and Illinois give out the rulebooks every other year. You can pay for them in the off-year if you want a hard copy. The IHSAA (Indiana) gives free access to the app, which I have begun to use almost exclusively. The IHSA does not give the NF Officials Manual anymore and has not for over 15 years (they are not a full NF member).

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2022, 06:08pm
Administrator

The OhioHSAA includes in its registration fee each year the NFHS Rules Book and Casebook and the Officials Manual every other year. When I started (1971-72) as an OhioHSAA Officials besides the Rules Book and Casebook every year and the Officials Manual every other year our registration fee also included the Illustrated Book every year and the Basketball Handbook every other year.

As a member of IAABO I hope that the Handbook will still include the Rules Book and Casebook, as well as the IAABO Officials Manual.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Handbook ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
As a member of IAABO I hope that the Handbook will still include the Rules Book and Casebook, as well as the IAABO Officials Manual.
Not according to my local board.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)