The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
For IAABO Members Eyes Only ...

Members of my local IAABO board have to take a locally generated twenty-five question Mechanics Exam.

Here was the first question:

1) The referee will summon the visiting team head coach and captains while the umpire will summon the home team head coach and captains for the pregame meeting. Is this correct? No 13-B-1-C, D

I answered "Yes", because that's the way, and the only way, that we've been doing it for forty years.

And I got it wrong, here's the citation:

2019-20 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 13-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the home and visiting team head coaches. The umpire will summon the home and visiting team captains.

So I checked out last year's IAABO Mechanics Manual:

2018-19 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 11-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the visiting team’s head coach and captains(s). The umpire will summon the home team’s head coach and captains(s).

As far as I know, this unannounced change wasn't publicized in any recent IAABO publication, nor was it announced at our local board's annual interpretation meeting (new rules, Points of Emphasis, etc.).

Anybody know the story behind this unannounced change ?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 06, 2019, 08:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Anybody know the story behind this unannounced change ?
Too many officials were getting 100% on the exam and IAABO wanted fewer perfect scores.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 06, 2019, 10:47pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Members of my local IAABO board have to take a locally generated twenty-five question Mechanics Exam.

Here was the first question:

1) The referee will summon the visiting team head coach and captains while the umpire will summon the home team head coach and captains for the pregame meeting. Is this correct? No 13-B-1-C, D

I answered "Yes", because that's the way, and the only way, that we've been doing it for forty years.

And I got it wrong, here's the citation:

2019-20 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 13-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the home and visiting team head coaches. The umpire will summon the home and visiting team captains.

So I checked out last year's IAABO Mechanics Manual:

2018-19 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 11-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the visiting team’s head coach and captains(s). The umpire will summon the home team’s head coach and captains(s).

As far as I know, this unannounced change wasn't publicized in any recent IAABO publication, nor was it announced at our local board's annual interpretation meeting (new rules, Points of Emphasis, etc.).

Anybody know the story behind this unannounced change ?

Bill:

I would suggest that you contact Roger MacTavish, Chairman of the IAABO Rules Examination Committee.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 07, 2019, 11:08am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
Buy Local ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I would suggest that you contact Roger MacTavish, Chairman of the IAABO Rules Examination Committee.
I believe that this was a locally produced mechanics exam not the IAABO Refresher Exam.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 09, 2019, 07:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Boston area
Posts: 615
News to me too. Massachusetts just held its annual state interpretation clinic that was attended by IAABO’s new executive director and one of the national rules coordinators and I don’t recall this being mentioned. T.J. Halliday is primarily responsible for editing the mechanics manual. Contact me privately and I’ll give you his email address.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 09, 2019, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
Coaches And Captains ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
News to me too. Massachusetts just held its annual state interpretation clinic that was attended by IAABO’s new executive director and one of the national rules coordinators and I don’t recall this being mentioned. T.J. Halliday is primarily responsible for editing the mechanics manual. Contact me privately and I’ll give you his email address.
Already got it. I'll see what transpires at our November meeting in a few weeks and report back.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 05:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 37
Does anyone else hate these kind of questions? The ones that REALLY have nothing to do with the game. Let's say the R summons the wrong team or captains or whatever....... does anyone care?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 07:58am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
Changes (David Bowie, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnegger View Post
Does anyone else hate these kind of questions? The ones that REALLY have nothing to do with the game. Let's say the R summons the wrong team or captains or whatever....... does anyone care?
In this rare case, no. It was only due to the question that we became aware of the change, which will generate some discussion.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 11, 2019 at 08:09am.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 08:10am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 605
I think hamnegger's point is that the directive and change are meaningless: i.e., who cares which official summons which bench--as long as both teams get there?

Discussion? What's to discuss? Both versions--old and new--are micro-management.

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Nov 11, 2019 at 10:53am.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
He's A Rebel (The Crystals, 1962) ...

... But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Discussion? What's to discuss?
Whether or not we will be doing something different, and teaching something different to our rookies, for the first time in forty years due to this unannounced "international" change. Our state board and local board almost always go along with IAABO mechanics, but not always.

If indeed the directive is truly "meaningless", then why not do it the prescribed way instead of the another way?

If the directive wasn't "meaningless", and had some real impact, then sure, one could argue that doing it one way has advantages or disadvantages over doing it another way, or no way at all, just do it haphazardly or randomly.

Along the same lines, who cares which official checks the scorebook pregame, or which official observes which team during warmups, or which official tosses the jump ball, or which official administers the throw-in to start the second, third and fourth periods?

Certainly not the fans, nor the coaches, nor the players, nor the local newspaper sports reporter, nor the lady running the concession stand, nor the police officer standing in the corner of the gym.

So if nobody cares, let's do all of these "meaningless" things haphazardly and randomly.

"What? Not listed? I thought that you checked the scorebook?"

"No, please, you toss the ball."

"Why are we both observing the home team."

"No, you administer the throwin this period, I'll do it next period."

Or, maybe we could just go through some type of checklist to pregame these "meaningless" duties before we walk out onto the court. Different games, different duties, different officials.

Or, how's this for a crazy idea, just incorporate these "meaningless" duties into the rulebook and mechanics manual and keep these "meaningless" duties consistent from game to game, maybe even from state to state, and use our pregame conference for more important things.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 11, 2019 at 11:12am.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 09:17am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 605
Right way, wrong way? Was IAABO doing it the "wrong way" for years, then suddenly woke up and changed to the "right way"? That's the point: there is no objectively right or wrong way, only what is prescribed--for no discernible reason.

OK, I've made my thinking known. The field is all yours, Billy.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 09:43am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
Prescribed Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Right way, wrong way?
Thanks. Good point, my error (fixed it), how about just "way", not right or wrong, good or bad, just "way", or in your terms "prescribed" way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Was IAABO doing it the "wrong way" for years, then suddenly woke up and changed to the "right way"?
Exactly my point, I don't know, it was an unannounced change.

What was "wrong", if anything, with the decades old way?

I'm very curious as to why.

Maybe it came to the mechanics editor in a dream?

It happens.

Friedrich Kekulé discovered that the structure of benzene contained a ring of six carbon atoms with alternating single and double bonds after having a dream about a snake biting its own tail.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 11, 2019 at 10:04am.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 11:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rockville,MD
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Members of my local IAABO board have to take a locally generated twenty-five question Mechanics Exam.

Here was the first question:

1) The referee will summon the visiting team head coach and captains while the umpire will summon the home team head coach and captains for the pregame meeting. Is this correct? No 13-B-1-C, D

I answered "Yes", because that's the way, and the only way, that we've been doing it for forty years.

And I got it wrong, here's the citation:

2019-20 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 13-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the home and visiting team head coaches. The umpire will summon the home and visiting team captains.

So I checked out last year's IAABO Mechanics Manual:

2018-19 IAABO Mechanics Manual: 11-B-1-C, D: The referee will summon the visiting team’s head coach and captains(s). The umpire will summon the home team’s head coach and captains(s).

As far as I know, this unannounced change wasn't publicized in any recent IAABO publication, nor was it announced at our local board's annual interpretation meeting (new rules, Points of Emphasis, etc.).

Anybody know the story behind this unannounced change ?
This is relevant for a Crew of Two only, because in a Crew of Three, the U1 summons home captains, U2 summons the visiting captains, and the Referee summons the head coaches, once he is done with his spiel at the table.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 11:02am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,831
Variety Is The Spice Of Life ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... Crew of Three, the U1 summons home captains, U2 summons the visiting captains, and the Referee summons the head coaches, once he is done with his spiel at the table.
Boring. C'mon, live dangerously, change it up. Be a rebel.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rockville,MD
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Boring. C'mon, live dangerously, change it up. Be a rebel.
I was highlighting why the question was irrelevant. Most of the basketball world uses 3-person crews. The PSAL switched to 3 this season for Class AA basketball (the larger schools).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For IAABO Members Only ... BillyMac Basketball 7 Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:57am
For IAABO Members Only ... BillyMac Basketball 13 Mon Nov 05, 2018 01:30pm
For IAABO Members Eyes Only ... BillyMac Basketball 19 Tue Aug 08, 2017 02:41pm
For IAABO Members's Eyes Only ... BillyMac Basketball 30 Mon Nov 19, 2012 01:24pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1