Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2022, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

And One ...

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1041923

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hear "And one" from the fans in the cheap seats all the time and totally ignore.

Hear it from the bench and tell them to "Knock it off". Hear it for the head coach and tell him "Let's not do that tonight coach". Hear it for a player on the court and warn it's "Not appropriate". Most times they're doing it out of habit (sometimes it's said when the ball doesn't even go in the basket, and when I do call the foul I often ask "So, do you only want one free throw?"), aren't directing it toward just one official, are just getting "psyched up", and aren't really trying to influence, or complain. I'm not going to ignore, but I'm not automatically going to the "nuclear option".

I don't recall charging a technical foul for such, but if it was loud enough, and in an angry tone, and definitely directed at me, or my partner, I would definitely consider a technical foul.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I came across this while searching for something else and it reminded me of a play that I observed a few weeks ago in watching some friends officiate a girls state tournament game.

Player executes a superb "ankle breaking" crossover move and scores a layup against an over-matched defensive opponent. Only a little incidental contact, no call is made. Defender ends up on the floor. On her way back to play defense, scoring player leans over, gets in the face of the defender who is on the floor, and yells, "And one", in a very "unladylike" manner.

Technical foul for taunting. Nice call.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 24, 2022 at 02:00pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2022, 12:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Ok ??? ???
Old Thu Mar 24, 2022, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Innocuous ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Ok ??? ???
Good question. Like I stated, I came across this old "And one" post and it reminded me of a play that I observed a few weeks ago in a girls state tournament game.

Sometimes "And one" can be innocuous (I used to hate it, but have grown to often ignore it), and sometimes it can be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... if it was loud enough, and in an angry tone, and ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 24, 2022 at 02:05pm.