Old Tue May 10, 2022, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Would you call held ball on this play?

https://youtu.be/aLu65lSgQBY

FIBA, U15 Girls. Held ball or no call?
Old Tue May 10, 2022, 10:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Embedding is your friend

I would have called a held ball. Fits the definition perfectly IMO.

Peace
Old Tue May 10, 2022, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Thanks and I agree.

"12.1.2 A held ball occurs when one or more players from opposing teams have one or both
hands firmly on the ball so that neither player can gain control without undue
roughness. "
Old Tue May 10, 2022, 12:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace

1) The wording of the definition of Held Ball is literally the same, word-for-word in all Rules Codes (NFHS, NCAA Men's and Women's, NBA and WNBA, and FIBA). That said....

2) Because of the Alternation Possession Rule it is my opinion that far too many Held Balls are called either a) too soon or b) when there is no Held Ball but the calling Official(s) want to avoid letting it play out to avoid having to call a Foul (We see this nonsense far too often in JrHS games, both boys' and girls', but especially girls' games at all levels, JrHS, FR, JV, and VAR.). Therefore...

3a) In the Play that we see in the video. W2 clearly intercepts B7's Pass to B3 with B3's right arm and hand caught between the Ball and W2's chest with B3 bringing her left arm and hand up onto the Ball.

3b) The covering Official has to make the following decision: Did B3's left hand: i) have a firm grip on the Ball or ii) not have a firm grip on the Ball and that B3 was spun around when W2 pivoted away from her because her right hand and arm were pinned between the Ball and W2's chest.

3c) Furthermore, from what I see in the video, W2 has the more advantageous position against B3 as she intercepts B7's Pass. The quality of the video is the best but it appears that B3 may have committed a PF with her right arm making contact with W2 left shoulder and upper left arm in her effort to put her right arm between the Ball and W2's chest.

4) What does this particular play tell us? Have a patient whistle when judging Held Balls. It is better to be 1.5 seconds late than being 0.75 seconds late.

5) And to be honest, I had a PF by B3 against W2 for what I said in (3c). But I would not question either a Held Ball or no Held Ball in this play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 10, 2022, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that a PF could've been call. But I disagree on the no call on the jump ball as it fits every check listed on FIBA. I can understand if the word "wrestle" under Federation Rule can be interpreted differently. But FIBA's words are quite straightforward, one or two hands firmly on the ball, check. Undue force, check. To me, this is the very definition of a held ball.
Old Wed May 11, 2022, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Held Ball ...

Held ball.

Black #30 has no left hand.

Nice video eltonsi. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 11, 2022 at 09:48am.
Old Wed May 11, 2022, 09:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Arrow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... Because of the Alternation Possession Rule it is my opinion that far too many Held Balls are called ...
Agree with Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Back in ancient times, with no alternating possession arrow, we made sure that the held ball was really "held", not wanting to stop the game to set up and administer "another" jump ball unless we "absolutely had to".

Now it's just easy to go to the arrow. Sound the whistle and point. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 11, 2022 at 12:37pm.