Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2022, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why We Don't Have Enough Officials ...

Chaos Hits Youth Basketball Game As Coach Chokes Out Referee

https://twitter.com/i/status/1487640238591602690
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 04, 2022, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

This has been circulating for most of the week. I think this is clearly a newer or non-certified official based on only the attire. And this is certainly youth sports where I honestly wish we would stop doing these as a community when it is not associated with any school or school organization. Sorry, I just think this is where this stuff is most likely to happen. If something like this happened at the high school or college level for example the coach would be fired and suspended for a very long time as a result. It would ruin their reputation and might not allow them to be hired again. Other things at the high school level can take you out like that and it does not include assaulting an official.

I ejected a coach last week I believe after the game was over and the state did not complain or suggest I should have done anything differently.

I get that we think this helps young officials, but to me this makes officials in general not want to be there if this is what they are subjected to and there is no action toward the individual or the organization as a result.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2022, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throw Out Baby With Bath Water ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... youth sports where I honestly wish we would stop doing these as a community when it is not associated with any school or school organization.
While true that interscholastic coaches have to answer to well defined hierarchy of parents, athletic directors, principals, superintendents, boards of education, and state associations; youth sports coaches (depending on the locality) may have to answer to parents, league directors, town recreation directors, mayors, and town councils.

The hierarchy of authority for youth sports may not be as well defined as interscholastic sports, and will vary from locality to locality, but in many cases it does exist, and coaches may be held accountable for their actions.

Granted it's been long time since I did non-scholastic games (recreation and travel), and things have probably changed since then, but back when I did work such games, the "higher ups" always backed me up when I had a problem with a coach. I'm sure that it helped that the recreation director of the town where I worked (and lived) was a fellow certified basketball official.

Of course, things may be different, a lot different, in other localities, where it may be the Wild Wild West.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 04, 2022 at 01:09pm.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2022, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this and echo the thoughts of JRut here.

There cannot possibly be any situation in youth sports that would cause tensions to escalate to this level of insanity.
And while this and instances like this may cause a few people on the fence to decide against it, I hope that the good ones can stick around and realize that this does not define the game. The organizations that "sanction" these youth leagues need to do a better job of reminding and enforcing sportsmanship and then ultimately penalizing fans/coaches/players where needed. And officials too! I'm sure there are some not without fault of their own in these cases, but we're not talking about that...
Used to be that we'd have to fight to get paid, and then take a stance when these leagues or camps couldn't figure out why they couldn't get officials and kids, coaches, or volunteers just weren't cutting it. Now I think anyone working with these youth organizations needs further representation and affirmation that these instances can be controlled and for the most part avoided, else...good luck finding people to officiate at all.

I've been burnt by youth leagues before some 15+ years ago. It's not worth it anymore and that's too bad because I want to grow/teach the game.