View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
NCAA-Men's guidelines:

Section 2. Screening

A screen is legal action by any player with or without the ball, which, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position. A screener must be inbounds and maintain a normal stance with the inside of the screener's feet no wider than shoulder width apart. If a player is engaged in illegal screening tactics and there is no contact with the opponent, no foul has occurred. Players must adhere to the screening rules outlined in Rule 4-35.

A foul shall be called when:

1. A defensive player is held or pushed off of his intended path around a screen by use of the arms, legs or body.

2. A defensive player holds or pushes through the screen using the arms, legs or body.

3. The screener extends the hips or buttocks to displace the defender who is attempting to move around the screen.

4. The screener extends the legs beyond legal width and trips a defender who is attempting to move around the screen.

5. The screener sets a “blind” screen (outside the visual field) on a stationary defender that doesn’t allow the defender a normal step to move.

6. The screener sets a “blind” screen (outside the visual field) on a moving defender and doesn’t allow ample time to stop or change directions; usually one to two strides.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thanks, all this info from everyone is great. On balance I feel like I see more illegal screen calls in situations where the defender is moving, the screener is not blind, and he gives more than a step. In other words, it seems like I see it called wrong more often than an illegal one allowed with no whistle.

It also seems like the language is a little sloppy in that if you need to give a step or 2 for a blind screen, doesn't that imply that something less than that, whatever that would be, must be given in the case of a seen screen on a moving defender.

I also think that it makes sense that at least a step must be given on all screens on moving players if they are supposed to have a reasonable opportunity to avoid contact, because if the defender is in mid-step, i.e. less than a full step, it is very difficult if not impossible to change direction at that point.

Thanks all, interesting info. JD Collins, blast from the past, must have retired a decade or so ago? Used to see him do quite a few games I watched.