The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Personal stare down experience

Coach had a been a pain the entire second half. Late in the game one of his players fouled out. Instead of sending the sub to the table, he had the sub stand next to him while he stared me down. I stood patiently looking back at him waiting for the player to report. Finally, seconds before the horn he told the sub, "go ahead" and the sub ran right out on the floor. I turned to the table and innocently asked, "Did he ever report in?" Of course the answer was "no." Whack. Technical on the coach for not replacing a player as required. Should have seen his jaw drop. Priceless!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Waited A Little Too Long ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Coach had a been a pain the entire second half. Late in the game one of his players fouled out. Instead of sending the sub to the table, he had the sub stand next to him while he stared me down. I stood patiently looking back at him waiting for the player to report.
Similar story. But the coach waited a little too long and and my partner, a grizzled "old school" veteran, whacked him the split second the second horn sounded with no substitute reporting. The coach picked the wrong grizzled "old school" veteran to play "chicken" with that night.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Coach had a been a pain the entire second half. Late in the game one of his players fouled out. Instead of sending the sub to the table, he had the sub stand next to him while he stared me down. I stood patiently looking back at him waiting for the player to report. Finally, seconds before the horn he told the sub, "go ahead" and the sub ran right out on the floor. I turned to the table and innocently asked, "Did he ever report in?" Of course the answer was "no." Whack. Technical on the coach for not replacing a player as required. Should have seen his jaw drop. Priceless!
For that matter, you could have tagged the player for running onto the court without reporting AND the coach for failing to provide a sub before the replacement interval expired....that would have really stung.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Barrel Action ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
For that matter, you could have tagged the player for running onto the court without reporting AND the coach for failing to provide a sub before the replacement interval expired....that would have really stung.
Ouch. In Kill Bill, remember Beatrix (Uma Thurman) getting shot in the chest with rock salt by Budd (Michael Madsen)? Now double that. Ouch.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...dOutByBudd.jpg
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 12:58pm.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Jeff:

I agree with you. There are many times we would just love to whack a Coach on general principles but staring at you is just not one of those things that would be looked upon favorably by the powers that be.

MTD, Sr.
Honestly, the verbal accusation of of a lack of integrity is the biggest violation. But, the first one of those would probably result in a quiet unofficial warning. But being out of the coaching box? good excuse for a T. Nice of him to give that to you.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Now that would have been nasty, Cameron. I like it! I know I was a veteran official at the time but apparently hadn't yet reached the category of "old school grizzled veteran" mentioned in a previous post.