Thread: Referee The D
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Two things from this week

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
This week I had a fast break and was transitioning to Lead. As we passed the three point line toward the near basket the defender was between the player and the basket. I focused on reffing the defense and saw that indeed, the defender had established position prior to the offensive player leaving their feet and crashing into him.

Later in the game, as Lead, I watched the defender in the block challenge a shot by a player driving toward the basket. He jumped straight up and kept both arms straight and did not swat at the ball. There was a little contact on the chest (initiated by the offense) but nothing serious. When the offensive guy wanted a foul after the shot missed I simply told him that the defender was allowed to jump within his vertical plane.

So Triangle, my wise elders on this forum have helped me to ref the defense by focusing my eyes and mind on the defensive position while the play is developing. I'm training my eyes to move away from the ball a bit to see the defenders feet and space.
I'm with Lep. This board has helped tremendously, and that's why I can give the advice above with confidence. Like Lep, once you get it right about twice, it just clicks, and you can say with great self-assurance, "I nailed that one!" Nothing feels better. Except the evaluation that says, "Wow, great block/charge calls!"