Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Let me give some background.

4th year official - 3 years varsity experience

Was working a 7th and 8th grade boys game. Home team had never been beat on their home court (2 or 3 years). Home team was ahead 5 at the half. Visitors made a run in the third to take the lead. It seemed that every call in the 4th qtr was right in my lap and went against the home team. Home team fouled lots late to try to get back into the game. Had a loose ball that was eventually tied up and had a jump ball but a home team player dove in late (after the whistle) and very aggressive. Whack T. 5th foul player was disqualified. Crowd was almost out of control at this point.Visitors get the W by about 10 after converting all there free throws late.

On my way out, I am verbally abused by the home folks...no big deal, I keep walking w/ my partner out the door where we are met by a mob of angry parents/fans. We keep heading for the exit sign and keep our mouths shut. A lady then grabs me by the arm and gives me an ear full. I keep walking she keeps walking too. Once outside she then starts hitting me 3-4 times in the upper arm, I keep walking, telling her she needs to go back inside. A man, her husband maybe, also is following us telling us our jurisdiction is over and what are we gonna do now. The whole situation looked very grim until I saw a law enforcement officer parked right beside our vehicle. I asked him to give us a hand and he got the lady off of me, the guy coninued to bager us until we got in the car and left. I called my assignor on the way home and let him know the scoop. He said he would call the school and take care of it.

My question is, should I press any sort of charges against this lady? I mean, she didn't hurt me, but she was trying. I just wanted to get the heck out of there last night but the more I think of it the more I want something done about this. No administrators helped us at all. My fear is that another official will go there and the same thing will happen to them. Thoughts and comments are welcome.