The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   IL Test Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105549-il-test-question.html)

bob jenkins Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:30am

IL Test Question

49. Team A violates during the game's opening jump ball. Which of the following is true?

A. The AP arrow is set to team B's basket when the throw-in is completed.

B. The AP arrow is set to team A's basket when the throw-in is completed.

C. The AP arrow is set to team B's basket when the ball is placed at team B's disposal for the throw-in.

D. None of the above.

BillyMac Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:40am

Nevermore ...

When they first invented the alternating possession arrow, the rule used to be (paraphrased), "Lose the ball. Lose the arrow".

https://tse2.explicit.bing.net/th?id...=0&w=300&h=300

BillyMac Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:46pm

None Of The Above ...

My guess:

E) The AP arrow is set to team A's basket when the ball is placed at team B's disposal for the throw-in.

4-3: Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent’s basket when:
ART. 3 The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.

ilyazhito Thu Nov 04, 2021 01:34pm

I would say D. The arrow is set to A's basket when B has the ball at their disposal for the throw-in. It's a strange rule, because the throw-in is not an AP throw-in. This is because possession was already determined by awarding the free throws. Under any other rule set, this discussion would be moot, because we would shoot free throws and return to the point of interruption, the opening jump ball.

BillyMac Thu Nov 04, 2021 01:43pm

Possession And Control ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1045399)
When they first invented the alternating possession arrow, the rule used to be (paraphrased), "Lose the ball. Lose the arrow"

On a play where the jumper illegally catches the ball, the rationale was it's a possession (an illegal possession) and control, and thus non-violating team should get the ball for the violation and non-violating team get the arrow because the violating team had control first.

Quoth the Raven, “Nevermore.”

I can't remember how other jump ball violations were handled.

How about a little help Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.? Make yourself useful.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 04, 2021 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1045402)
This is because possession was already determined by awarding the free throws.

What FTs?

BillyMac Thu Nov 04, 2021 01:57pm

Got Our Backs ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1045400)
4-3: Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent’s basket when: ART. 3 The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.

Tip o' the hat to Raymond, who in another recent thread reminded us of this rule.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.B...=0&w=307&h=173

Matt S. Thu Nov 04, 2021 02:44pm

D

D.

todd66 Thu Nov 04, 2021 04:25pm

D. Rule 4-3-3A

bob jenkins Thu Nov 04, 2021 07:25pm

Thanks. I also had D, with the correct administration being as indicated.

Raymond Thu Nov 04, 2021 08:01pm

Since we just had a thread about jump balls and the AP arrow, everybody here should get this question right with no doubts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:00pm

The answer that I have is B. That is what we agreed on tonight at least.

I can verify that one, but that is what we had.

Peace

bob jenkins Fri Nov 05, 2021 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1045412)
The answer that I have is B. That is what we agreed on tonight at least.

I can verify that one, but that is what we had.

Peace

And, thus, why I asked -- to see if I missed something, or mis-read the question or if I just disagree with the apparently official answer.

ilyazhito Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:03am

I had a similar question on my test, but my example included free throws for a pre-game technical foul. I was surprised why they would say that the arrow should be set at the throw-in, and not when the free throws are awarded, because, at least in high school basketball, technical fouls include awarding possession.

Raymond Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1045414)
I had a similar question on my test, but my example included free throws for a pre-game technical foul. I was surprised why they would say that the arrow should be set at the throw-in, and not when the free throws are awarded, because, at least in high school basketball, technical fouls include awarding possession.

The penalty for a technical foul is free throws followed by a throw-in. You don't set the initial arrow until you fully penalize, which is when the ball is live for the throw-in. Based on your logic, if Team A were shooting the free throws and Team A then got a technical prior to the throw-in, Team B would then shoot free throws, then get a throw-in, plus have the AP Arrow based on it being set when Team A shot its free throws.