The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Nba lakers game -- anyone see the correctable error

They took two points away from Lakers minutes later in the game 2 min to go in 4Q for unwarranted free throws.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
They took two points away from Lakers minutes later in the game 2 min to go in 4Q for unwarranted free throws.
And....?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Limit ...

Best I can do without additional information.

1) NBA correctable error rules may be different than NFHS correctable error rules.

2) There are no time limits on NFHS correctable errors. Both teams can go up and down the court, missing shots, rebounding, balls getting stolen, no out of bounds, no whistles for fouls, or violations, no time outs, for several minutes (up to eight minutes) and correctable errors can still be corrected without the statute of limitations (dead ball/live ball) being exceeded.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 11:48am.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Best I can do without additional information.

1) NBA correctable error rules may be different than NFHS correctable error rules.

2) There are no time limits on NFHS correctable errors. Both teams can go up and down the court, missing shots, rebounding, balls getting stolen, no out of bounds, no whistles for fouls, or violations, no time outs, for several minutes (up to eight minutes) and correctable errors can still be corrected without the statute of limitations (dead ball/live ball) being exceeded.
There is actually a time limit, but that time limit is based on when you have a live ball and a dead ball period (with the clock actually running). Not based on the physical time of the clock running off the clock for a specific number of seconds or minutes. Just so people do not get confused.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I did not see it and am not familiar with the NBA rules on this issue and how they rule on things like this.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eight Minutes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is actually a time limit ...
Quote:
... minutes later ...
Could be up to eight minutes until one hits that dead ball followed by a live ball too late to correct situation.

Maybe even longer if one counts a one minute (or ten minute) dead ball (clock not running) intermission before the ball becomes live to start a new period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not based on the physical time of the clock running off the clock for a specific number of seconds or minutes.
Agree. I was just looking at extremes to respond to JMUplayer's "minutes later" comment.

"Minutes later", although certainly interesting, has nothing to do with the actual NFHS rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 12:33pm.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Very Interesting ...

Quote:
"Minutes later", although certainly interesting ...
Quote:
Both teams can go up and down the court, missing shots, rebounding, balls getting stolen, no out of bounds, no whistles for fouls, or violations, no time outs, for several minutes (up to eight minutes) and correctable errors can still be corrected without the statute of limitations (dead ball/live ball) being exceeded.
Imagine a correctable error happening at 7:30 p.m. (at beginning of second period) and not being recognized and corrected until 7:48 p.m. (dead ball immediately following halftime intermission)

That would certainly raise a lot of eyebrows, and maybe some voices.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 03:09pm.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 01:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't understand what happened based on the OP's description.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Any Laker's Fans ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And....?
Quote:
... without additional information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I don't understand what happened based on the OP's description.
Hopefully JMUplayer will come moseying back to the Forum to either give us more information, or to ask if any of us were watching the game and know what happened.

Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seek, And Ye Shall Find (Matthew 7:7) ...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1455770515193356288

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...ets/ar-AAQhoap

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...re-free-throws

Being unfamiliar with NBA correctable error rules, I'm having trouble following this, but I do know that under certain circumstances, some NFHS corrected errors, especially after a change of possession, may sometimes seen illogical, unfair, and irrational, like when the same team gets corrected free throws, with no rebounders, and then gets the ball back.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 03:10pm.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/11/03...-unusual-step/
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 10:38am
Do not give a damn!!

I still do not appear to have the bigger picture. Maybe I need to read the article again, but it appears that the issue was that they gave free throws too early and should not have shot the free throws as a result. But what is not clear is when was the situation was discovered. That is what I am not seeing, because as it relates to NF or even NCAA, the timing of that discovery matters. Not sure what the NBA procedure is or how it works to correct such a mistake.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 11:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
... Play continued with the Lakers thinking they were up 10, then the Rockets’ Christian Wood went on a personal 5-0 run to cut the lead ...

Sounds like at least one dead ball followed by a live ball, but NBA correctable error rules are probably different than NFHS correctable error rules.

... But once that goes away, you can’t take the points away and not give us a possession back ...

This can happen (within the statute of limitations) in NFHS rules (unmerited free throw, change of team possession, error corrected, point of interruption).

... the officials said they looked up at the scoreboard, which said four team fouls because the Porter Jr. foul was put up quickly, so quickly the officials thought the foul had to be the fifth ...

Happens a few times each season in my scholastic games, scorekeepers who record the foul in the book and on the scoreboard based on preliminary signals. A few times every season I have to ask the table, "How many team fouls RIGHT NOW?". I can certainly see how this can cause a correctable error situation, especially if one is not paying close attention to team fouls on the scoreboard previous to the bonus.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 04, 2021 at 12:44pm.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I read the article as the coach saying "the rule is unfair" not as saying "the rule was misapplied." And, as we've pointed out before, "unfairness" seems to be part of the rule -- and, perhaps, there's a reason for that.

The 2019-2020 NBA rule book is available on-line. This seems like the relevant section:

Section VI—Correcting Errors

A. FREE THROWS

Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in the following:

A team not shooting a merited free throw that will remain in play.
EXCEPTION: If the offensive team scores or shoots earned free throws as a result of a personal foul prior to possession by the defensive team the error shall be ignored if more than 24 seconds has expired.
A team not shooting a merited free throw that will not remain in play. The error shall be corrected, all play shall stand and play will resume from the point of interruption with the clocks remaining the same.
A team shooting an unmerited free throw.
Permitting the wrong player to attempt a free throw.

Officials shall be notified of a possible error at the first dead ball.
Errors which occur in the first or third periods must be discovered and rectified prior to the start of the next period.
Errors which occur in the second period must be discovered and the scorer’s table notified prior to the officials leaving the floor at the end of the The error(s) must be rectified prior to the start of the third period.
Errors which occur in the fourth period or overtime(s) must be discovered and rectified prior to the end of the period.
The ball is not in play on corrected free throw attempt(s). Play is resumed at the same spot and under the same conditions as would have prevailed had the error not been discovered.
All play that occurs is to be nullified if the error is discovered within a 24-second time The game clock shall be reset to the time that the error occurred.
EXCEPTION (1): Acts of unsportsmanlike conduct and all flagrant fouls, and points scored therefrom, shall not be nullified.
EXCEPTION (2): If the error to be corrected is for a free throw attempt where there is to be no line-up of players on the free throw lane (technical foul, defensive three seconds, flagrant foul, clear path-to-the-basket foul, punching foul, away-from-the-play foul) the error shall be corrected, all play shall stand and play shall resume from the point of interruption with the clocks remaining the same.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

The old "let's punish the offended team when an entire table and floor crew screw up" philosophy.

IMO, the opposing coach should have spoken up, and since they didn't, their punishment is 2 unearned points for the opponent.