The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 02:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2021-22 Basketball Rules Interpretations ...

2021-22 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: Team A members are wearing white jerseys which have (a) a manufacturer’s logo in the apex of the neckline; (b) a paw print in the apex of the neckline. RULING: (a) Illegal – technical foul charged directly to the head coach; (b) legal. COMMENT: Manufacturer’s logos are allowed to be placed no more than 5 inches below the shoulder seam on the front of the jersey. The apex of the neckline is reserved for a school or conference logo/ mascot. (3-4-2a, d; 10-6-4)

SITUATION 2: A player from Team A is wearing a religious head covering (a) secured around the head/face with no added fasteners or abrasive materials; (b) secured with bobby pins; (c) tied together in a knot behind the head. RULING: (a) Legal; (b) and (c) illegal. COMMENT: Players may wear head coverings for religious reasons that fit securely and are free from abrasive materials. There is no longer a need for state association approval. Bobby pins, barrettes and extensions that tie in a knot are not permitted. (3-5-4d, e)

SITUATION 3: A1 sets a stationary screen within the lateral field of vision of a stationary opponent (B1) without leaving space for B1 to avoid the screen. RULING: Legal screen. COMMENT: If the screener is set within the field of vision of the stationary opponent, the screener may establish a screen as close to the opponent as desired. (4-40-3)

SITUATION 4: A1 sets a stationary screen on a stationary B1 from behind. B1 takes one step backwards before making contact with the screener. RULING: Legal screen. COMMENT: If the screener is set outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent, the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward before contact is made. (4-40-4)

SITUATION 5: A1 attempts to set a screen on B1 who is moving laterally. A1 establishes a stationary screening position which does not allow B1 to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction and contact is made. RULING: Illegal screen. COMMENT: When screening a moving opponent, the screener shall allow the opponent both time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take position, which will vary between one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent. (4-40-5)

SITUATION 6: Player A1 is moving in the same path and direction as B1 who is attempting to set a screen on A1. A1 stops to legally guard B2. B1 overruns A1 and makes contact before establishing position for the screen. RULING: Illegal screen. COMMENT: When screening an opponent who is moving the same path and direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his/her opponent. (4-40-6)

SITUATION 7: A1 sets a legal screen outside of the visual field of B1. B1 attempts to avoid contact by stopping – due to B1’s speed, contact is made with the screener. B1 continues by moving around the screen after contact. RULING: Incidental contact. COMMENT: In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact and moves around the screen. (4-40-7)

SITUATION 8: A1 sets a legal screen on B1. B1 grabs A1 by the arm in order to pull through the screen and maintain defensive positioning on the other side of the screen. RULING: Illegal use of hands. COMMENT: A player may not use the arms, hands, hips or shoulders to force through a screen or to hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain a guarding position on an opponent. (4-40-8).

Corrections:
Rules Book: Page 72, Shot Clock – State Association Adoption: The Shot Clock Operator Shall: 6b(vii); After a held ball occurs during after an unsuccessful try…
Case Book: Page 4, Rule 1, Game Ball 1.12.3 Situation: Ruling: Yes, the home team shall…
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 02:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Past Interpretations Archive ...

Moderator: Please add the 2021-22 Basketball Rules Interpretations to the NFHS Past Interpretations Archive Sticky. Thank you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 02:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Straight From The Horse's Mouth ...

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource...tions-2021-22/

Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Syklar Diggins Headbands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... extensions that tie in a knot are not permitted.
Rest in peace Syklar Diggins headbands?

At our local meeting last night, we (Connecticut officials) were told to no longer allow the extensions to be tucked into the headband.

Not sure how that will affect the girls that use underwrap tied in the back as a headband.

Still baffled by the NFHS ruling a few years ago to not allow a simple ribbon tied in a simple knot as a hair control device, the NFHS called it "decorative".

I'm all for Fashion Police rules for safety, uniformity, and ease of identification, but the NFHS should be moving toward simplification and making our job (and the job of players, coaches, and parents) easier, not more complex and difficult to enforce.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 21, 2021 at 04:34pm.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

They got rid of those things years ago. At least they did here, maybe there were places across the country allowing them, but we were told they were illegal for some time.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reluctance To Enforce ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They got rid of those things years ago. At least they did here, maybe there were places across the country allowing them, but we were told they were illegal for some time.
Agree.

The NFHS clearly made headbands with extensions illegal several years ago, but through ignorance, ineptitude, laziness, not caring (not even looking), or reluctance to enforce, many Connecticut officials have been either ignoring, and thus, allowing, headbands with extensions; or have advised players to tuck in the extensions.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 21, 2021 at 03:21pm.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throw Myself On The Mercy Of The Court ...

Quote:
... advised players to tuck in the extensions.
Guilty as charged.

Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 03:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

SITUATION 7: A1 sets a legal screen outside of the visual field of B1. B1 attempts to avoid contact by stopping – due to B1’s speed, contact is made with the screener. B1 continues by moving around the screen after contact. RULING: Incidental contact. COMMENT: In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact and moves around the screen. (4-40-7)

I've had this debate a few times, I believe even on this site, that you can have severe contact on screens. Glad the NFHS put out a POE, I mean interpretation, to address this.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 03:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Severe Contact ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... you can have severe contact on screens.
At our first local meeting last night, we were shown a video co-produced by the NFHS and IAABO that went over rule changes, and points of emphasis, including screens.

We were shown a video of a legal screen with violent incidental contact. Screener was set in stone for a few seconds near the division line. Screened player was running with the player he was defending from backcourt to frontcourt and had no idea that there was screen. Train wreck. Screened player went down like a broken marionette. He had to be peeled off the floor like the coyote in a roadrunner cartoon. All legal.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 21, 2021 at 04:36pm.