Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 08:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Block Charge …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...r00aDqZw%3D%3D

Was this correctly ruled a blocking foul? Should this have been a player control foul?

Two choices: This is a blocking foul. This is a player control foul.

My comment: This is a player control foul. Defender Black #2 obtained and maintained legal guarding position: both feet touching the playing court, the front of the defender’s torso facing opponent, did not move toward the opponent, and obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 09:08am
Do not give a damn!!

What did the defender do wrong?

Peace
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

PC.

I did like the finger point right at the defender, and the fact that the official went toward the reporting area, but then stopped when players were between him and the atble.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

In my judgement, the defender moved into the offensive player as he was going airborne. Therefore, he failed to beat the offensive player to the spot, and the ruling of a block is the correct one. I normally like to give the defender the benefit of the doubt and rule a player control foul, but I cannot do so in this case.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 11:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
In my judgement, the defender moved into the offensive player as he was going airborne. Therefore, he failed to beat the offensive player to the spot, and the ruling of a block is the correct one. I normally like to give the defender the benefit of the doubt and rule a player control foul, but I cannot do so in this case.
I think you're being faked out by the fact that he gets on his tip-toes just prior to contact. It's an unnecessary embellishment by the defender that probably cost him the call.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I think you're being faked out by the fact that he gets on his tip-toes just prior to contact. It's an unnecessary embellishment by the defender that probably cost him the call.
Then we have to do better than that IMO. He does not move of any significance. He is not required to be a statue. He just has to be in position. Again we call way too many fouls on defenders for doing really nothing illegal and we allow offensive players to do all kinds of things and it is just fine if they knock someone on their ass.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nit Picking ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I did like the finger point right at the defender, and the fact that the official went toward the reporting area, but then stopped when players were between him and the table.
If I were asked as an observer to nit pick this official's signals according to strict IAABO mechanics.

Nice bird dog (not sure it was needed, bird dog signal is optional, probably better to err toward making the signal). No stop clock signal (unless one counts two fists up). Fists instead of open hands for block at point of foul and while reporting (probably a local thing, I'm guilty of do as I say, not as I do, I almost always use fists at point of foul). Almost (missed by inches) got to the reporting area (which I normally wouldn't have a problem with, except for ...). Didn't quite clear all the players. Was White #15 in his sight-line as he reported to the table? Some walk and talk (but just a few steps, not a big problem for me).

However. This official exudes a ton of confidence in his body language and signals. That has got to count for something.

Of course, as usual, and as always, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 29, 2021 at 03:56pm.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 12:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then we have to do better than that IMO. He does not move of any significance. He is not required to be a statue. He just has to be in position. Again we call way too many fouls on defenders for doing really nothing illegal and we allow offensive players to do all kinds of things and it is just fine if they knock someone on their ass.

Peace
I can see how an official can be faked out. An official who is straight-lined could see both heels coming off the ground and interpret that as the defender moving forward.

Doesn't make the officials call right, but it does explain how these errors can happen when players do things that are not necessary, only to embellish the contact.

In order to correct ourselves as officials, we have to find out why we're making the mistake in the first place.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Sep 29, 2021 at 01:35pm.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2021, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I can see how an official can be faked out. An official who is straight-lined could see both heels coming off the ground and interpret that as the defender moving forward.

Doesn't make the officials call right, but it does explain how these errors can happen when players do things that are not necessary, only to embellish the contact.

In order to correct ourselves as officials, we have to find out why we're making the mistake in the first place.
I do agree with you about being "faked out." I can also see this as well. My point is we do not even give the defenders a slight benefit in many cases. And that is something I try not to do. If I have to split hairs on movement, then I give plays like this to the defense all day long. I think calling charges, in the long run, helps your games. You call this a block, you will have to call many more because not the offensive player never has to think of not getting the call. Call a charge and then they start wondering. So it is more for me than just being "faked out" but what is better for the game. Kind of like calling travel on something that is very hard to tell at full speed.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 02, 2021, 05:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing ...

A little birdie told me that this was a player control foul.

Old Sat Oct 02, 2021, 06:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A little birdie told me that this was a player control foul.
???

Is there some big secret?

The video tells me it's a PC foul.

Old Sat Oct 02, 2021, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hit List ...

Quote:
???
One can never be too careful. I'm on their radar. Black helicopters are circling overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... IAABO Make The Call Videos ... were the copyrighted property of IAABO and could not be reproduced or used without the express written permission of IAABO ... suggested that I stop sharing these and that if I didn't stop that I could be subject to a suspension from the IAABO Make The Call Video email list, or worse, a suspension from IAABO.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 02, 2021 at 06:34pm.
Old Sat Oct 02, 2021, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

It appears that this is a 2 person crew. The lead appears to be standing very stationary under the basket and and looking at the ball as it is in the trails area coming to the basket. Who is watching all the other players? I believe it is a PC foul from the video. I think a wider angle would have afforded him a better view of the defender getting into LGP while allowing him to watch the other players in his primary