The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 07:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree, but there is some relevance (even a small amount) between the excessive contact with the word hard, however there is absolutely no relevance in using premeditation, or no premeditation, with respect to intentional fouls (it says so right in the rule).

Hard: Done with a great deal of force or strength.
c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting.

Sounds like intent to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 07:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Agree, but there is some relevance (even a small amount) between the excessive contact with the word hard, however there is absolutely no relevance in using premeditation, or no premeditation, with respect to intentional fouls (it says so right in the rule).

Hard: Done with a great deal of force or strength.
The rule doesn't say there's no relevance to premeditation. It just says it may or may not be premeditated. Just like it says the severity of the act is not the sole determiner.

Your statement about hard fouls is a local/personal practice or interpretation. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't try to sell it as if your interpretation is rules based while somebody else's which uses intent or premeditation is not.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Sep 04, 2021 at 07:45am.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The rule doesn't say there's no relevance to premeditation. It just says it may or may not be premeditated. Just like it says the severity of the act is not the sole determiner.

Your statement about hard fouls is a local/personal practice or interpretation. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't try to sell it as if your interpretation is rules based while somebody else's who uses intent or premeditation is not.

Agree. Intent or lack thereof can be a factor but it isn't necessarily a factor.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 08:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Isn't Necessarily A Factor ...

Quote:
Sounds like intent to me.
Quote:
The rule doesn't say there's no relevance to premeditation. It just says it may or may not be premeditated ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Intent or lack thereof can be a factor but it isn't necessarily a factor.
Get it. Thanks.

Quote:
Your statement about hard fouls is a local/personal practice or interpretation. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't try to sell it as if your interpretation is rules based while somebody else's which uses intent or premeditation is not
Well stated. As a stand-alone statement, I still believe that there is some room for "hard" contact (as long as it's illegal contact) fouls in a rule based discussion regarding one type of intentional foul (excessive contact intentional foul).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 04, 2021 at 08:50am.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 08:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Get it. Thanks.

Well stated. As a stand-alone statement, I still believe that there is some room for "hard" contact (as long as it's illegal contact) fouls in a rule based discussion regarding one type of intentional foul (excessive contact intentional foul).
Not saying there isn't. I'm saying there's also room to talk about intent and premeditation, which you discounted as not rules-based.

Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 09:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lesson Learned ...

Quote:
Not saying there isn't. I'm saying there's also room to talk about intent and premeditation, which you discounted as not rules-based.
Exactly.

I used to (incorrectly) think of excessive contact intentional fouls as a completely separate category of intentional fouls, but they're not, all intentional fouls still fall under the heading: Personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act.

Raymond's posts forced me to read the actual rule, as written, more carefully and in a new light.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 04, 2021 at 09:32am.
Old Mon Sep 06, 2021, 04:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...9E%2Fh4Q%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a personal foul.

As the shooter becomes airborne to attempt a try, the defender also becomes airborne and makes a legitimate attempt to play the ball when contact causes the shooter to go to the floor. In plays such as these develop, officials should always consider the possibility of an intentional foul. The shooter is airborne and vulnerable. An intentional foul may be warranted if defensive players contact these airborne shooters and drive them to the floor.

In this play, the defender does appear to have a legitimate chance to block the shot. The contact he commits on the shooter is torso to torso contact due to the momentum by the defender moving toward the shooter. The defender does not push or drag the shooter down with the arms or appear to do anything excessive. This is a normal basketball play, and the rules support a common foul being assessed on this play. (86% of respondents would rule this a common foul).

If defenders have no reasonable chance at playing the ball and cause excessive contact on airborne shooters officials should rule an intentional foul. What makes this rule challenging is there are times when defenders make a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player and cause excessive contact and be charged with an intentional foul. Officials should master this rule and be willing to rule on excessive contact when it occurs.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a personal foul 86%. This is an intentional foul 12% (including me). This is not a foul 2%.

Quote:
Of course this is entirely subjective and everyone has slightly different parameters for calling an intentional foul
I guess that I've been working too many freshman games and middle school games the past three years. Losing a sense of what the "big boys" can, and cannot, safely do.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 06, 2021 at 04:09pm.
Old Mon Sep 06, 2021, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nit-picking. No offense intended to bob jenkins, Camron Rust, and Kansas Ref. Act of shooting isn't a common foul.
"common" in the sense of it being a generic, happens all the time, average, basic foul. Not the officially defined "Common" foul.
Old Mon Sep 06, 2021, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Uncommon Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
"common" in the sense of it being a generic, happens all the time, average, basic foul. Not the officially defined "Common" foul.
Already understood. Also liked JRutledge's description of a "normal" foul.