Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 09:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Jump Stop …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...4OywpvAQ%3D%3D

Is this a legal jump stop? Should a traveling violation be ruled on this play?

Two choices: This is a legal move. This is a traveling violation.

My comment: This is a legal move. After Black #13 landed simultaneously on both feet neither foot can be a pivot. After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot, one or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 21, 2021 at 03:19pm.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Looks legal to me given the angle we have.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Aug 21, 2021 at 10:20pm.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Legal.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 01:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Make The Call Video

Is this a legal jump stop? Should a traveling violation be ruled on this play?

Two choices: This is a legal move. This is a traveling violation.

My comment: This is a legal move. After Black #13 landed simultaneously on both feet neither foot can be a pivot. After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot, one or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
When one foot is lifted doesn't that make the other foot the pivot?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Off topic, but can't imagine the fire marshall would be too happy about that gym.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 03:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Difficult Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Raymond may be correct.

In my opinion, traveling is the most difficult rule for officials (including me) to understand and correctly enforce, both in the heat of a real game, in real time, and on a written exam.

4-44: Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:
ART. 1 A player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor may pivot using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.
ART. 2 A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
b. If one foot is on the floor:
It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both.
Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
ART. 3 After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.
ART. 4 After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 21, 2021 at 03:23pm.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 03:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Behind Basket Lane Line To Lane Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Off topic, but can't imagine the fire marshal would be too happy about that gym.
Thank you for bringing it up. I didn't want to bring it up and appear to be nit-picking.

While officials have no control over the total occupancy of the site, officials do have full authority to control the area behind the basket from lane line to lane line.

1-20: Non-playing personnel must be located outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 21, 2021 at 03:22pm.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thank you for bringing it up. I didn't want to bring it up and appear to be nit-picking.

While officials have no control over the total occupancy of the site, officials do have full authority to control the area behind the basket from lane line to lane line.

1-20: Non-playing personnel must be located outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

Yeah, but if there's literally no other place for those individuals to go (as appears to be the case here), I'm not going to get into a debate with the game administrator. Just write a report afterwards.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yeah, but if there's literally no other place for those individuals to go (as appears to be the case here), I'm not going to get into a debate with the game administrator. Just write a report afterwards.
The problem is that the rule is in the NFHS book because it is a safety issue.
I’m not going to play while a safety rule is being violated. Sorry, but there is no compromising on player safety.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 05:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Safety Is Number One Priority ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The problem is that the rule is in the NFHS book because it is a safety issue. I’m not going to play while a safety rule is being violated. Sorry, but there is no compromising on player safety.
Agree. Including the side of the court we can't see, it's probably about twenty fans that have to be moved (maybe into the corners). If they don't move when I politely tell them, I'll approach the site director and tell him that it's up to him, possibly with the help of the police officer in the corner, to get them moved. We're not playing until they're moved.

Those mats on the walls are there for a reason, and they are not to be blocked. Gross negligence. Liability. Anybody can sue anybody for any reason at any time. I like my house. I like my car. I like my bank account. I want to keep them. Even if they don't have a good case, I would still have to pay an attorney for billable hours, and billable hours aren't cheap.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 21, 2021 at 05:15pm.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Only if the ball is caught with both feet on the floor or by an airborne player who then lands on both feet together. Not so when the ball was caught on one foot followed by a jump to two feet (the jump stop).
Old Sun Aug 22, 2021, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Classic jump stop.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 23, 2021, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Risk Minimization ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The problem is that the rule is in the NFHS book because it is a safety issue.
The Intent And Purpose Of The Rules: … to provide reasonable risk minimization …

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 23, 2021 at 11:52am.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2021, 08:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO Make The Call Video Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a legal move.

Black #13 dribbles the ball into the lane area, ends his dribble on his right foot, then jumps and lands on both feet simultaneously before jumping again to attempt a try for goal.

This is a legal play and correctly ruled as such by the officials. By rule, a player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. It should be noted that if the player stops after landing simultaneously, neither foot can be a pivot foot. (4-44-2.b.2) Even though neither foot is considered the pivot foot, either foot may be lifted (but not returned to the floor before the ball is released) on a pass or try for goal. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal. It would be a traveling violation if either foot (or both feet) were lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble. (4-44-3)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a legal move 91% (including me). This is a traveling violation 9%.