The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 08:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

NBA Considering Significant Rule Change ...

The NBA is always tweaking and changing its rulebook. A new rule change that is reportedly under consideration would likely draw the ire of several star players if it is passed.

According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the league’s competition committee met today to look into changing the rules to “restrict unnatural motions on jump shots players use to draw fouls.” As Woj notes, this proposal would have a large effect on James Harden and Trae Young, in particular.

Both Harden and Young make a living out of drawing fouls by getting their defender in the air or on their hip and leaning into them to initiate contact. It is a practice that drives opposing players, coaches and fans crazy but is very effective for both players.

If this rule change gets implemented, they will arguably be the two players most impacted. While Young and Harden will be particularly affected, Wojnarowski says that behind the scenes, this is seen as a league-wide issue.

The plan for the competition committee is to speak with league executives about specific ways to enforce this new rule, and then bring it to the Board of Governors for a vote later this summer. If the resolution is passed, it will go into effect for the 2021-22 season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Isn't that already charging?
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

I think there is a philosophy about these plays but probably not specific in the rulebook. I know the same is the case at the NCAA level, there is not much in the rulebook that addresses these actions, but the NCAA has stated we should not call fouls on shooters that stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled. But certainly, there is some rules support, just not specific.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 01:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

On, Wisconsin! ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... we should not call fouls on shooters that stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled.
No big deal, but does this mean no offensive "fouls on shooters that stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled", or no defensive fouls "when" shooters stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled?

I know more about Euclidean geometry than I know about NCAA rules, but I'm assuming it's the later.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 15, 2021 at 01:40pm.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No big deal, but does this mean no offensive "fouls on shooters that stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled", or no defensive fouls "when" shooters stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled?

I know more about Euclidean geometry than I know about NCAA rules, but I'm assuming it's the later.
The rules are the same at both the NCAA and NF levels, but the NCAA specifically addresses these kinds of actions. It means you could have a foul, it could mean you do not have a foul. Really depends on the end result of the contact. But again the NCAA addresses changes in their game, the NF does not even though the rules are the same here.

I am sure you will go back and forth with yourself trying to answer your own questions.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

See You Later, Alligator (Bill Haley and His Comets, 1956) ...

One of my late Dad's favorite phrases. Which always had to be responded to by, "In a while crocodile".

Quote:
The rules are the same at both the NCAA and NF levels ...
Then it's the later.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 15, 2021 at 01:58pm.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
One of my late Dad's favorite phrases.

Then it's the later.
Actually no.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rain In Spain (My Fair Lady, 1956) ...

Quote:
Actually no.
I think I get it now.

So it's both.

The NCAA doesn't want offensive fouls called on shooters that stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled, and it also doesn't want defensive fouls called when shooters stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 15, 2021 at 02:06pm.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think I get it now.

So it's both.

The NCAA doesn't want offensive fouls called on shooters that stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled, and it also doesn't want defensive fouls called when shooters stick legs out or make themselves appear to be fouled.
It is not as simple without video honestly. There are situations they want a PC foul on the shooter. And they definitely do not want a foul on the defender when the defender in no way would have contacted the shooter without the shooter extending themselves in some way. Several NCAA videos have addressed this.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 02:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Foul On Defender ...

Quote:
... they definitely do not want a foul on the defender when the defender in no way would have contacted the shooter without the shooter extending themselves in some way.
Thanks.

Nor would I (nor any of my NFHS colleagues).