The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ten Second Free Throw Violation ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105436-ten-second-free-throw-violation.html)

BillyMac Wed Jun 09, 2021 09:48am

Ten Second Free Throw Violation ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-nets-to...131128201.html

As a basketball player, coach, and official for over fifty years, I've never called this violation, nor have I ever observed it being called.

Has anybody ever called this violation, or ever observed it being called?

ilyazhito Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:12am

Dwight Howard was called for it in an NBA game when he was playing with the Lakers.

There was one time I called a 10-second violation on a free thrower. I believe it was in a JV game, but it is still a very rare call.

sdoebler Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:31am

Made this call in a summer league running clock game. There was about 18 seconds left in the first half when player recieved the ball at the line and the coach told him to wait. Ticked to 8 seconds and I blew it. Only time I have ever made the call and can confirm my 10 second counts was accurate.

BillyMac Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:26pm

Advantage ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1043550)
Made this call in a summer league running clock game. There was about 18 seconds left in the first half when player recieved the ball at the line and the coach told him to wait. Ticked to 8 seconds and I blew it.

Running clock. Illegal advantage. I'd do the same.

Note: I've been fortunate not to have to work more than handful of running clock games in my forty years. Hated every single one. I always felt rushed.

Rushing (or just not taking one's time) through dead ball, clock not running situations is a recipe for a disaster.

Mike Goodwin Wed Jun 09, 2021 04:50pm

get thee a metronome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043547)
As a basketball player, coach, and official for over fifty years, I've never called this violation, nor have I ever observed it being called.

Yes, I had one in March this past season. When I reviewed the video, it turned out my 10-second count actually took 14 seconds. The free thrower was a football-player-turned-basketball-player to help fill out the team's roster, so that might have had something to do with it

I might have called it one other time and that would have been in the early '90s.

Camron Rust Wed Jun 09, 2021 05:24pm

Quote:

Made this call in a summer league running clock game. There was about 18 seconds left in the first half when player recieved the ball at the line and the coach told him to wait. Ticked to 8 seconds and I blew it. Only time I have ever made the call and can confirm my 10 second counts was accurate.

That is why, with any running clock league where I have a say, we stop the clock in the last 30 seconds of the first half. That avoids any of those shenanigans that are not in the spirit of the game and doing it for the last 30 seconds doesn't meaningfully impact the duration of the game.

BillyMac Wed Jun 09, 2021 06:19pm

Feels Like The First Time (Foreigner, 1977) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin (Post 1043553)
14 seconds.

I've gotten up to eleven, or twelve, with my slow hand flick count, so it was probably a little higher on a clock. At eleven, or twelve, I'm saying to myself, "Please shoot the damn ball", and later, if I have to opportunity, I will privately say to the player. "Hey, you do know that you only have ten seconds to shoot a free throw and that I am counting. Right?".

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I ever got up to a thirteen, or fourteen, hand flick count with a player who wasn't obviously and purposely trying to be a knucklehead. I guess that I would have to call the violation. There's always a first time for everything.

If I did ever call it, I can 100% guarantee that my referee buddies would give me hard time at the local watering hole after the game. Probably get stuck buying a few beers.

ilyazhito Wed Jun 09, 2021 06:44pm

Quote:

That is why I hate running clock games. First, it encourages clock shenanigans that would not happen in regular games where the clock stops by rule, such as in the above post. Second, it leads to bad habits by officials (not signalling to stop the clock when the rules would otherwise require, e.g. on violations).

so cal lurker Thu Jun 10, 2021 01:23pm

I was called for it once--while the ball was in the air on the shot. My Dad (who reffed a bit) said he was counting and it was 7-8 seconds and he was watching the ref who did not have a visible count. It was middle school; sometimes you just get what you get. But still, many years later, that really annoys me.

BillyMac Thu Jun 10, 2021 01:28pm

Got'cha ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1043563)
I was called for it once--while the ball was in the air on the shot. My Dad said he was counting and it was 7-8 seconds and he was watching the ref who did not have a visible count. It was middle school; sometimes you just get what you get. But still, many years later, that really annoys me.

While I'm sure that many veteran officials have good reasons to make this call (running time, knuckleheads, etc.), I'm also sure that there are a few officials out there, probably mostly rookies, who make this call as a "Got'cha" call, as in, "Hey. Look at me. I know lots of basketball rules".

Hey so cal lurker, you weren't a middle school knucklehead, were you?

Robert Goodman Thu Jun 10, 2021 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043551)
Running clock. Illegal advantage. I'd do the same.

Note: I've been fortunate not to have to work more than handful of running clock games in my forty years. Hated every single one. I always felt rushed.

Rushing (or just not taking one's time) through dead ball, clock not running situations is a recipe for a disaster.

But the alternative is probably delaying the next game. Which may not even be basketball. It's a situation where authority over the space supersedes the rules of the game.

so cal lurker Thu Jun 10, 2021 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043564)
Hey so cal lurker, you weren't a middle school knucklehead, were you?

No, I was the quiet tall guy being double teamed off the ball all game.

(OK, I did get T'd up that game (deservedly) for my only outburst of the season--but that was much later in the game when the two guys doubling me were holding hands around me to prevent me from moving and I got called for a foul trying to go through their arms . . . it was just one of those days. . . .)

BillyMac Thu Jun 10, 2021 05:44pm

The Running Man (Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1987) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1043565)
But the alternative is probably delaying the next game.

Agree, but a third alternative would be shorter periods, which is already legal under NFHS 5-5-3, even without state association authorization (fully realizing that most running time games are probably not interscholastic games under NFHS rules).

Also agree that the site director (not the officials) runs the show in most non-interscholastic games.

BillyMac Thu Jun 10, 2021 05:53pm

The Truth Always Comes Out ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1043566)
OK, I did get T'd up that game (deservedly) for my only outburst of the season--but that was much later in the game when the two guys doubling me were holding hands around me to prevent me from moving and I got called for a foul trying to go through their arms . . . it was just one of those days. . . .

https://tse3.explicit.bing.net/th?id...=0&w=300&h=300

Nevadaref Thu Jun 10, 2021 07:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043547)
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-nets-to...131128201.html

It was just called in the Brooklyn at Milwaukee NBA playoff game with 7:29 left in the 2nd quarter.