The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 11:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Both Feet And The Ball …

IAABO Make The Call Video

Is this a backcourt violation? Did the dribbler establish frontcourt status before handing the ball to a teammate in the backcourt?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...Cim0tKyQ%3D%3D

Three choices: This is a backcourt violation. This is not a backcourt violation. Too close to make a ruling; play on!

My comment: This is a backcourt violation. Black #10 was holding (not dribbling) the ball when she achieved frontcourt status (both feet and holding the ball) and thus her handoff to Black #5 was a backcourt violation. However, if one deems Black #10 to be dribbling (not holding) when the handoff to Black #5 was made, then Black #10 did not achieve frontcourt status (ball and both feet) and this is not a backcourt violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 09, 2021 at 11:24am.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

BC violation.

I don't know how you can "hand off" the ball while you are dribbling.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 11:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Handoff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
BC violation. I don't know how you can "hand off" the ball while you are dribbling.
Agree. Her hand was under the ball (carry/palm) so she wasn't dribbling. Ball and both feet doesn't apply (only for dribbler). Backcourt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

dribble ended when ball touched with both hands. front court status. Ball handed to player clearly in back court. Violation
Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only Applies To Dribbler ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
However, if one deems Black #10 to be dribbling (not holding) when the handoff to Black #5 was made, then Black #10 did not achieve frontcourt status (ball and both feet) and this is not a backcourt violation.
I address this because I'm sure that some IAABO members will comment with something about the ball and both feet, not realizing that the ball and both feet only applies to a dribbler, not to a player holding the ball.

Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Easy BC Violation.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 09, 2021, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

It took me a few looks to confirm the ball actually was handed off and not just obtained incidentally by the teammate before the dribble ended.

So I agree, BC violation, but I don’t think it’s necessarily an easy call. Especially with the angle. Did you see how T flinched? She knew she didn’t get a good look. Probably would have needed help from C here and as C you have to be 110% on this. So if I’m the assignor I don’t think I’d get too upset with a NCI here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Apr 10, 2021, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Obtained Incidentally ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't know how you can "hand off" the ball while you are dribbling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It took me a few looks to confirm the ball actually was handed off and not just obtained incidentally by the teammate before the dribble ended.
Exactly my concern. Agree that it took a few looks to confirm that the dribble had ended.

Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...Cim0tKyQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is a backcourt violation.

This is an interesting play that comes down to understanding the rules regarding ball location and player status.

A few respondents ruled this a legal play because the ball handler never dribbled the ball in the frontcourt and therefore ruled frontcourt status was never achieved. This is an interesting point, but this provision only applies if the ball handler continues the dribble across the division line. Because the ball handler ended the dribble, this provision is not a factor on this play. (4-4-6)

Once the dribble ended, the player had two feet in the frontcourt, and therefore the player and the ball now have frontcourt status. (4-4-2) When the ball handler handed the ball to a teammate with backcourt status, a backcourt violation was committed. (9-9-1)

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a backcourt violation 47%. This is a backcourt violation 44% (including me). Too close to make a ruling; play on 9%.!

Old Mon Apr 12, 2021, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, this is a violation for the reasons mentioned...the dribble ended when the dribbler caught the ball to hand it off and the dribbler's exception evaporated at that instant.

That said, the trail, who generally had excellent position, had no hope of being able to see the status of the ball at the key moment due to looking through the back of of Black #5. With a single defender and a simple hand-off that, while it was a screen, it wasn't a traditional screen, I wouldn't have expected the C to be helping on that play.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2021, 10:15am
Do not give a damn!!

The Center could have pulled up and made this call as it was facing him directly. And it was rather obvious. Still pressure that was kind of in a helping position. What if a screen took place there, he would need to help there as well.

I just think this was not very good play awareness. But it happens.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 13, 2021, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Touchdown ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just think this was not very good play awareness ...
It was hard to predict that this would happen exactly as it did. It surprised me. It was more like a football play, quarterback handing off to a running back, than a basketball play. Of course with his football officiating background, for JRutledge this play would have been just another "day at the office".

Old Tue Apr 13, 2021, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was hard to predict that this would happen exactly as it did. It surprised me. It was more like a football play, quarterback handing off to a running back, than a basketball play. Of course with his football officiating background, for JRutledge this play would have been just another "day at the office".
It is not about predicting, but if I am the Center and there is a play near the division line, you know that could be hard for some situations for the Trail. In this play, the ball handler started down his side of the court and move to just the middle. It is having worked the system enough that something can blow up right there and you have to come and get it. Nothing was going on down the court that he had to be on top of at that moment. Again of course game situations can dictate this coverage, but this is also not unusual. Also, look at his head, he is looking back at the ball anyway. He should have been able to see this, but it would have been better if he was a few feet in the FC near the division line and caught this. And he would never be on the play shown by IAABO for likely missing the call. And this is a basic help play for the center in transition.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 13, 2021, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Severely Burned By Hot Lava And Hot Coals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... there is a play near the division line ... that something can blow up right there and you have to come and get it.
It certainly did "blow up". When will players learn to not stop dribbling near the division line, or to not "hang out" anywhere near the division line hoping to catch a passed ball?

Back when I was coaching middle school basketball, I would teach my players that the division line was covered with a long linear stream of hot lava, and that the offensive lane was covered in hot coals.

One could momentarily touch those areas, but touch them more than a few seconds and one would get severely burned.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 13, 2021 at 12:49pm.