The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 09:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Make Up Calls ...

It's hockey, not basketball, but could make for an interesting discussion.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-fires-v...142601591.html
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

That was dumb to say anywhere but in your car on the way home.

And that is hockey, we have too many things we can call in a basketball game. The minute you make up something, you will have another player to judge that will be judged on its own. What a dumbass, he deserved to be fired.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Can't say stuff like that on mic and keep your job. But I know a lot of us who know teams and coaches have privately said to our peers "If so and so gets our of line we need to T him early" or "this game is going to be real physical so lets clean it up early and get a whistle on it"

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Can't say stuff like that on mic and keep your job. But I know a lot of us who know teams and coaches have privately said to our peers "If so and so gets our of line we need to T him early" or "this game is going to be real physical so lets clean it up early and get a whistle on it"
Apples and oranges. Those aren't make up calls.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Those are not the same things. And not what a lot of us say. I know I have said in pregame if we know something about the behavior of teams or individuals and we need to address their behavior. But most of the time we do not have to do anything because the people involved behave. But that is not the same thing in any way.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 01:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right ...

While I can honestly say that in forty years I've never deliberately made a make up call, I can say that on several occasions, if and when my next call after a possibly blown call went the other way, I've said to myself, "Good".

Getting the next call their way will sometimes calm down irate coaches.

Some coaches may foolishly think that they're getting a make up call, but they're not. They're getting an honest call from me.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 24, 2021 at 02:23pm.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Watching enough video of myself calling the game, I am never completely confident if I have missed or made a bad call at the time of the game. I might have not made a call I love because of other factors. But rarely do I walk away knowing what mistake I made. I tend to make note of those plays and then go look at them when I get the chance. Then when I see it on video, I can make a better assessment of the quality of the call. So if I get crap for something, I keep focused and do what I feel I should do. Saying all of that, I tend to not feel I need to make up anything. I might make note of something that took place and make sure I do not miss it again but not where one team is screwed and then I go help the other team out on the floor. I might miss an illegal screen and say to myself, "Gotta get the next one...." and then I call the game accordingly. But never deliberately call something to make a coach or player happy because of a previous missed call. I think it is a bad practice to try to do, even if you do not say you are doing that.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 24, 2021, 02:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Straighten Things Out To Make The Game Fair ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I tend to not feel I need to make up anything. I might make note of something that took place and make sure I do not miss it again but not where one team is screwed and then I go help the other team out on the floor. I might miss an illegal screen and say to myself, "Gotta get the next one ..." and then I call the game accordingly. But never deliberately call something to make a coach or player happy because of a previous missed call.
Well put.

I'm pretty sure that there are officials out there who create make up calls, not to please coaches, but because of a sincere desire to "straighten things out to make the game fair".

In my opinion, that's not the way to "straighten things out to make the game fair".

The proper way, as JRutledge so well stated, is to work harder, get in the best position, be prepared, concentrate, and avoid further mistakes ("Gotta get the next one ...")

Whether it's a creating a make up call, or having a second blown call, either way, a second wrong still don't make a right.

An official makes it right, and straightens things out to make the game fair, by trying one's best to avoid a second possible blown call.

That being said, there certainly are officials out there who create make up calls to please coaches.

Connecticut coaches "vote" officials into the state tournament.

What some Connecticut officials don't realize is that by pleasing one "voting" coach, one is probably pissing off another "voting" coach.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 25, 2021 at 11:24am.