The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fmkjrunc
a referee said the other day, i cannot make every call, we would be here all day, im a caretaker of 22 acres, my boss said time to cut the grass, i cut all the grass, not just certain areas, is their a difference in the way any job should be done, do it all the way or not at all, i think the referee that chooses what to call is showing favortism to a team and not doing his job, do you think if he starts off by making calls, it will police the game, comments please
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating basketball is not cutting grass. Should a police officer ticket every single driver that...

...goes 1 mile over the speed limit?
...changes lanes without giving a signal?
...had his license plate expire 2 days ago?

You do not want to go to a game where every single infraction of the rules is called. For example, by rule, every time a coach complains about a call, we are suppose to give him a technical foul. Is that what you think we should do? We make calls based on advantage-disadvantage, not based on which team we like or which team we want to win. We couldn't care less who wins.

Call "everything?" No. No basketball game has ever been called that way and never will be.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Oct 23rd, 2005 at 05:55 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

You have a lot to learn about officiating. Good officials call the obvious infractions, the minor ones or the infractions that do not affect the play. There are things we could call every time down the floor if you really wanted to. Every time a coach or player complains, we can give a technical foul every single time. Not only would the game not be fun to watch, it would not make any since to do so. We always pass on things that did not put anyone at a disadvantage. Now that takes time to come to the conclusion when those times are. But if we called every contact as a foul or every hardly seen violation, you would stop watching the game. Our job is to get the big calls. It is obvious you do not know much about officiating or any thing where decisions are made.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
For example, by rule, every time a coach complains about a call, we are suppose to give him a technical foul. Is that what you think we should do?
Hmmmmm.....there's something strangely alluring about that
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fmkjrunc
a referee said the other day, i cannot make every call, we would be here all day, im a caretaker of 22 acres, my boss said time to cut the grass, i cut all the grass, not just certain areas, is their a difference in the way any job should be done, do it all the way or not at all, i think the referee that chooses what to call is showing favortism to a team and not doing his job, do you think if he starts off by making calls, it will police the game, comments please
Are you a referee? What philosophy do you use when you officiate?
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Crystal clear!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Are you a referee? What philosophy do you use when you officiate?
I think it's clear that he doesn't officiate.

"Crystal."

Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

If we officiated the way you think we should, We would be there all night. I couldn't imagine calling every 3 second, travel and foul. I agree with the previous posts. There is no way that any basketball game will ever be officiated by the "letter" of the rule!
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

can a referee make all the calls

rutledge, you said our job is to get the big calls, not to much knowledge about refing there, you probally are a showboat and dont hardly blow your whistle, its not about the big call or you, so i dont think you know much
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: can a referee make all the calls

Quote:
rutledge, you said our job is to get the big calls, not to much knowledge about refing there, you probally are a showboat and dont hardly blow your whistle, its not about the big call or you, so i dont think you know much
There is always one guy on here that is all cracked out. They usually show up before the season or after. Maybe we will be so lucky as to have this joker and no others! LAy off the pipe fmkjrunc!
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 07:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What I talk about the "big calls," I mean the calls that are obvious to everyone. That is what most good officials do. Not to say all calls are going to be so obvious, but you better not make a habit of calling things no one understands.

Here is another reason I can tell you are not a real official. You do not understand that the "big calls" have little or nothing to do with the outcome of the game. A big call might be the first call of the game within the first 10 seconds of the game. When something "big happens" it will affect your game if you are not on top of it. A "big call" might be a time when you do not blow your whistle at all. But you would have to actually be an official to know the difference. I think we all know the answer to what you are.

Oh well, I guess I will have to give back all my games because you think I do not know much.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Oct 23rd, 2005 at 08:30 PM]
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

is walking a big call? i think every call is as important as every other call, but you said i dont know much, so i guess ill be seeing you on tv(NBA,NCAA,MLB), i just asked a question and, you got smart, so good luck on your refereeing professionally
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 07:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
is walking a big call?
Walking is legal, traveling is not.

Traveling can be a big call if called the right way.

Quote:
i think every call is as important as every other call, but you said i dont know much, so i guess ill be seeing you on tv(NBA,NCAA,MLB), i just asked a question and, you got smart, so good luck on your refereeing professionally
Of course you think that way. That is why you are on an internet site trying to convince "real officials" that your officiating philosophy is the way to go. Good luck in your Junior High Career. Lord knows you are going to need it.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Oct 23rd, 2005 at 09:42 PM]
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

i was not trying to convince real officials, im talking to you, t-ball ump, and thanks for wishing me good luck for my junior high girls and boys basketball teams, but you will never ref that high, so good luck to you in peewee football, and spendiong your life on the internet site pretending to be a REAL official
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 08:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
i was not trying to convince real officials, im talking to you, t-ball ump, and thanks for wishing me good luck for my junior high girls and boys basketball teams, but you will never ref that high, so good luck to you in peewee football, and spendiong your life on the internet site pretending to be a REAL official
LOL!!! Now that is funny.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

get rid of jmkjrunc

Mods, can't you get rid of this idiot?