The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2021, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Free Throw By Player Not Entitled …

Disclaimer: For IAABO Eyes Only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

No quiz. Just an IAABO International word of caution.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...0MxJ2Li6vX.mp4

Who is the shooter? The Crew should be aware and communicate the bonus situation to ensure shooters are identified at the spot of the foul. (IAABO Manual p. 182 Section D.8). In this play, the crew is not bonus aware and the shooter is not identified at spot of foul. White #5 (a 45% free throw shooter) is fouled during rebound activity. White #4 (a 79% free throw shooter) makes his way to the free throw line to accept the free throws.

This did not occur by accident or confusion. White #4 was not near the rebound contact. This is unsporting technical foul for knowingly attempting a free throw to which the player was not entitled. (10-4-6f)

Hopefully, this clip can serve as a reminder to all officials of the importance of knowing the bonus situation. The ruling official should verbally identify the shooter at the spot of the foul. (Manual p. 180 Section A..9) The non-ruling officials should then have that information and help ensure the correct shooter is at the free throw line.

Unsporting technical foul? Been around basketball for over fifty years as a player, fan, coach, and official. Never observed this called. Never. Ever.

Thoughts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 12, 2021 at 01:30pm.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2021, 01:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm close with an NBA ref who always says, "Know the consequence of your whistle". He means that every time we blow our whistle for a foul, we need to know what that whistle will lead to--i.e.: will there be free throws and who will be shooting.

If you blow your whistle on a rebounding foul you need to already know if the team is in the bonus, and if so, you need to be communicating the shooter with your partners before going to report.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2021, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Preliminary Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... you need to be communicating the shooter with your partners before going to report.
Great advice.

In the past, many years ago, I tried to remember both the fouler's number and the shooter's number, with little success (my brain doesn't work well with two numbers, I often reversed them after getting to the reporting area).

Now, as part of my preliminary signal, I will get my partner's attention (eye contact), point to the shooter, say "Shooter" loudly (also letting the players know that we know), and also try to remember what the shooter looks like (but no number).

Even though it's late in my career, I've started letting my partners know when were at six fouls (or nine) and we'll be shooting bonus free throws (one and one, or two) on the next foul (to avoid correctable errors).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 12, 2021 at 04:17pm.