The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 02:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Lodged Ball ...

Observe the free throw attempt and discuss the procedure to restart the game after the ball gets lodged.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...lZJ4UqL691.mp4

My comment: The ball becomes dead when the ball lodges between the backboard and ring. An alternating possession throw-in must result when a live ball lodges between the backboard and ring unless a free throw or throw-in follows.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
the procedure to restart the game after the ball gets lodged.
Get one of the players to throw a separate ball up to dislodge. Don't try and embarrass yourself by doing yourself and missing 5 times...not that I haven't done that...

After that, use the arrow.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 02:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Do the same thing you do for any other Held Ball situation?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Held Ball ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Do the same thing you do for any other Held Ball situation?
While true, it's not a actually held ball:

4-25: A held ball occurs when:
ART. 1 Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.
ART. 2 An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

While this video is the first of a one and one, it could be more complicated, and not treated as a "held ball", if it were the first of two, or the first or second of three shots.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Experienced Means Old ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Get one of the players to throw a separate ball up to dislodge. Don't try and embarrass yourself by doing yourself and missing 5 times ...
Great point. Especially for us "more experienced" guys.

Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Get one of the players to throw a separate ball up to dislodge. Don't try and embarrass yourself by doing yourself and missing 5 times...not that I haven't done that...

After that, use the arrow.
Once, many years ago, I decided to jump up to knock the ball free. About half way up, it occurred to me that I'd look really foolish if I didn't knock it free. Luckily, I knocked it free. But, I never did that again.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 03:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jump For My Love (Pointer Sisters, 1984) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Once, many years ago, I decided to jump up to knock the ball free. About half way up, it occurred to me that I'd look really foolish if I didn't knock it free. Luckily, I knocked it free. But, I never did that again.
I haven't been able to jump to grab a net (or a ball stuck between the ring and the backboard, or a ball up in the supports) in many years. In most boys high school games, a player will offer assistance. In a girls high school game, or a middle school game, I'm asking the site director, or the coach, to get someone to get the net unstuck, or the ball down.

Over four decades, I've seen nets become so tangled that no amount of jumping and grabbing (the grabbing often makes the tangle much worse) can get them untangled. It sometimes takes someone on a stepladder to get the job done, not often, but it happens, more than once, but not much more.

We have a school in our area that has a gym with basket supports that so often get balls stuck in them behind the backboards that there is always a long pole available behind the bleachers to be used to "punch" the ball out of the supports.

Many years ago, back in the 20th century, when I was a young junior varsity official, I stayed to watch a great varsity game between two conference arch-rivals in a packed gym. Although one of the varsity officials was one of the best on our local board, with a resume that included many conference playoffs, and state tournament games, the crowd seemed to be getting on him most of the game. This official also happens to be one of the shortest officials on our board. Early in the third period, a net becomes hung up on a rim. Here comes this official, running as fast as he can, from midcourt, jumping as high as he can, to dislodge the net, missing the net by more then a foot. Every one in the crowd laughed at his effort. But you know what, the crowd was on his side the rest of the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 09, 2021 at 04:16pm.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2021, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Great point. Especially for us "more experienced" guys.
I usually just jump up and tap it with my hand to dislodge a stuck ball, its not all that hard to do.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2021, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Kansas Jayhawk ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I usually just jump up and tap it with my hand to dislodge a stuck ball, its not all that hard to do.
Thanks for the comment Wilt.

Old Thu Feb 11, 2021, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Nice vintage photo-- thanks for sharing!
Old Thu Feb 11, 2021, 12:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

100 Points ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Nice vintage photo-- thanks for sharing!
“Everybody pulls for David, nobody roots for Goliath.” (Wilt Chamberlain)