The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 05:26pm
Ok is the new good

Who is Working?

Curious, what states have HS basketball being played now? In California we are scheduled to start in March.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 06:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

In Virginia, some private schools have already started. Public schools are scheduled to start Dec. 21st, however, there have been school districts who have stated they will not have Winter sports.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Illinois was supposed to start November 30. That got moved to at least the first of the year, but no actual announced plan if that will take place.

Indiana started as normal, but several games not played based on cancelations. I have a game Thursday and Friday and so far they are on.

Worked college ball since October, but had the worst week or so having a game canceled last Thursday, then another game after that cancelation on Saturday, then when that was canceled I was supposed to work tonight but that got canceled. Three different games, three cancelations, and only scheduled to me after each game was canceled. I have no scheduled college ball at this time as the supervisors for the most part are doing a week or so out as they have so many cancelations and those are the ones that are actually playing right now. Most are waiting until January to start like all my Division 2 leagues and a couple of Division 3 leagues at this point.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Curious, what states have HS basketball being played now? In California we are scheduled to start in March.
NV is slated to start in January, but I doubt that will happen. Las Vegas has already called off their season. My CA association held its opening meeting last night via the Internet. The word is that even the Section office and ADs have no idea if there will be a delayed season come March.

So nothing as of now.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Holidays ...

Decisions regarding Connecticut interscholastic basketball will be made on January 19, 2020.

The future doesn't look good here. Connecticut's positivity rate jumped up to over 8% today. It's being blamed on Thanksgiving celebrations. Things will only get worse after Christmas and New Years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

My county's schools just suspended winter sports till mid-january as they just went to online school only.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 07:41pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Michigan was tentatively scheduled to begin HS basketball January 4, but that's likely on hold with our "pause" orders extended 12 more days through 20-Dec.

This means that there's no chance for me to work a game on my anniversary of 18-Dec.

At the local middle school level, boy's basketball and girls swimming would normally run from November through January. I have a feeling neither will have a season this year, especially after the local MS league cancelled all of its fall sports.

Local CYO basketball was supposed to begin last week only to have it postponed to January. I have no idea if or when those games might be played.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Tue Dec 08, 2020 at 07:44pm.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 07:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Who is Working?

I've worked 4 HS varsity games in the last 5 days.

Next games are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

I opted out of the fall season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Dec 08, 2020, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Oregon just postponed basketball until May....yes May. If we play at all, we'll start on May 17th for a 5 week season and 1 week post-season.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2020, 09:55am
wife loves the goatee...

NC seems to be committed to playing starting January 5th. We are currently playing Volleyball (everybody masked) and the same guidelines are being emphasized for BB.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2020, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

PA is a big state, geographically, so I don't know what is going on outside of my immediate region, but the mega-league here, just north of Philadelphia, is starting basketball on December 22. Everyone--players, coaches, table officials and referees--will be masked, per an order from the state. The policy for admission of spectators--yes or no, home team only, how many--will be up to the individual school districts.

Hot off the press, this just in: I got an email from a friend who is currently working middle school, which is underway. Despite the governor's order, some schools' players and coaches are masking, some are not.

Last edited by LRZ; Wed Dec 09, 2020 at 03:56pm.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2020, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Well I found out today that we are back on in the county, everyone else locally is on. My schedule is a mess. Had a feeling something like this was going to happen as only one game this week on the county was taken off arbiter, last night was postponed but nothing done on arbiter for it or some other level games at that school.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2020, 02:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I am a conference commissioner for 24 schools. We've agreed on 2 spectators per rostered person. Everyone must be masked the entire season, no exceptions. Schools can choose to be more restrictive.

Schools statewide have been given an additional 30-second timeout each half, a use-or-lose one that does not carry to the second half or any extra period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Dec 09, 2020, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, what is the reason for the additional timeout?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2020, 04:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Who is Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Rich, what is the reason for the additional timeout?

Additional breaks for having to breathe through masks. We play 18-minute halves in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro