The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 26, 2020, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request - KU vs Gonzaga - Blarge

Just under 45 seconds to play in the first half. KU Guard Garrett drives the lane. Double whistle. L(opposite)and C both crack. One has a block and one has a charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 26, 2020, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
Just under 45 seconds to play in the first half. KU Guard Garrett drives the lane. Double whistle. L(opposite)and C both crack. One has a block and one has a charge.

This is not what happened. The C started to signal block before realizing the L had a whistle. The L gave the play to the C and then C called a PCF. L never gave a prelim.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2020, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I don’t know what happened and don’t really care. I just think it’s great that we have an actual real-life non-NBA play to talk about for the first time in eight months.

Small victories.

Old Thu Nov 26, 2020, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I didn’t see Slot give a blocking signal, but I do know Lead never signaled. Secondary defender — Slot should have never had a whistle.
I need to see the play again but I thought C started raising his left hand to pound his hips before realizing L had a whistle, too. I do agree that this play 100 percent belongs to the L. No need for a double whistle.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2020, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I need to see the play again but I thought C started raising his left hand to pound his hips before realizing L had a whistle, too. I do agree that this play 100 percent belongs to the L. No need for a double whistle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I didn’t see Slot give a blocking signal, but I do know Lead never signaled. Secondary defender — Slot should have never had a whistle.
I was watching at a bar (outside seating) so I was unable to hear the whistle cadence on this play. It would be informative to hear the timing of each official's whistle.

It looked like there bodies on the floor and the L had yet to blow his whistle; the C finally blew when he believed the L was not going to blow on this crash in the key. IMO the C should blow a foul as a secondary call of assistance if the L does not call an obvious foul; it should not be quick or happen on contact but the C can make a call when needed.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2020, 08:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play (Video)

Peace
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 12:02am
Courageous When Prudent

If anybody wants to know why NCAA-Men's wants their officials to put their hand behind the head for player control fouls, you just saw why.

The Center official is calling a PCF, but the announcers think he is counting the basket.

As far as who should take the call, where the contact occurred I can understand the Center having a whistle on this play. It is a secondary defender, but I believe he only has one foot in the paint when the contact occurs.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Nov 28, 2020 at 08:52am.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 12:36am
Do not give a damn!!

The announcer also was accusing the lead (Doug Sirmons) of calling a "block." Well unless they heard his voice or he said something that was by the contrary, there was no such signal from Sirmons. It might have been the wrong signal (NCAA changed it this year) from the Center, but certainly not a blarge by all accounts.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Seems like a correct call to me. Why do those of you who say "L's call" or "C should never have a whistle"say that?

IF it was really L's call, shouldn't he have taken it instead of giving it up to C?
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I retract my earlier post. That far up the lane, partially outside, I have no issues with C taking this play.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I retract my earlier post. That far up the lane, partially outside, I have no issues with C taking this play.
Thank you JRut for posting this play for good discussion.

The C should certainly stay engaged with this play and the offensive contact.
The contact happened way up the lane line, the defender had one foot outside the key, and the action happened far above the RA.

The C's mechanics could have been better by using the "hand behind the head" signal; I have no problem with the C taking this call and the L giving it up.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On the other hand, what else is the L looking at besides the secondary defender?
If I’m on the crew, I’m disappointed if my L isn’t tracking this secondary defender and doesn’t have a quality opinion on this action.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Doesn’t NCAA-W punch on all offensive fouls? And yet, the “it can be confused for scoring the goal” mantra has clearly never been an issue for them. Maybe men’s officials just have sloppy signals? If your offensive foul signal is confused for an “and-1” you need to get in front of the mirror.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
On the other hand, what else is the L looking at besides the secondary defender?
If I’m on the crew, I’m disappointed if my L isn’t tracking this secondary defender and doesn’t have a quality opinion on this action.
Well it looked like L did have an opinion on the play but gave it up when he noticed C was starting to signal something with his left hand. I have no issue with giving this play to C and if I was Sirmons I likely would have done the same thing.
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doesn’t NCAA-W punch on all offensive fouls? And yet, the “it can be confused for scoring the goal” mantra has clearly never been an issue for them. Maybe men’s officials just have sloppy signals? If your offensive foul signal is confused for an “and-1” you need to get in front of the mirror.
Yes, NCAAW has the punch signal. And, yes, sometimes it can be confusing.

On this play, imo, it wasn't a "surprise" play -- that it, the dribbler beat the primary defender quite a while before the contact with the secondary defender, so C can get a good look at it.