The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 29, 2020, 02:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dark Winter ...

Private prep schools have cancelled all winter sports here in Connecticut due to COVID-19

The CIAC, our state interscholastic sports governing body, expects to make decisions regarding public and Catholic school winter sports by November 17 or sooner. Much will depend on decisions/guidelines from our governor, Ned Lamont, and our State Department of Public Health.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 03:03pm.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2020, 07:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Write Them Off ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Private prep schools have cancelled all winter sports here in Connecticut due to COVID-19. The CIAC, our state interscholastic sports governing body, expects to make decisions regarding public and Catholic school winter sports by November 17 or sooner. Much will depend on decisions/guidelines from our governor, Ned Lamont, and our State Department of Public Health.
I just bought a Windsor Three Tone Electronic Whistle and two Smitty Whistle Pockets (in case our local board or the CIAC doesn't allow electronic whistles). I'm on our training committee and trainings sessions start next week.

I'll keep the receipts for tax purposes.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 30, 2020 at 01:58pm.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2020, 03:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dark Times Lie Ahead Of Us (Albus Dumbledore) ...

The CIAC, our Connecticut state interscholastic sports governing body, is postponing the November 21st winter sports start date.

The CIAC Board of Control will consider a new start date for winter sports at its November 17th board meeting.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 05, 2020 at 06:09pm.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2020, 03:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Was That Masked Basketball Player ???

Quote:
The CIAC, our Connecticut state interscholastic sports governing body, is postponing the November 21st winter sports start date. The CIAC Board of Control will consider a new start date for winter sports at its November 17th board meeting.
While we still don't know if there will be a 2020-21 interscholastic winter sports season Connecticut, we do know that if there is a winter sports season both basketball players and ice hockey players will be playing while wearing cloth masks, or face shields.

Also no traveling outside Connecticut for ice hockey games, or basketball games, and no hosting teams from outside Connecticut.

Our State Department of Public Health is particularly concerned about ice hockey (we've already had some major problems with non-scholastic off season hockey). Apparently, due to the cold conditions in ice hockey rinks, a temperature inversion forms that keeps exhaled air droplets from dispersing and they stay in a layer of air near the ice surface.

There will be no interscholastic winter wrestling.

Girls volleyball was the only indoor fall sport in Connecticut. The girls played while wearing cloth masks.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 08, 2020 at 03:21pm.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2020, 07:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Just received notification from a very reliable and connected source that two major cities hear in Virginia have canceled all winter sports, Richmond and Norfolk.

I haven't checked the news yet to see if it is true.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 12, 2020, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Richmond City yes that came out MON. However touching counties have insisted they are playing.

Who knows?????
Old Fri Nov 13, 2020, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Arlington Public Schools initially would have cancelled, but reversed its stance after outcry by parents and other concerned parties. Fairfax County Public Schools will resume play on the stated VHSL start date. The MPSSAA moved their start date for basketball up to January 4th, so that now matches the DCSAA start date.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2020, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I think a larger question is how many refs are going to be available in VA. I'm currently in between associations, but I'm telling you right now, I wouldn't work even if I was still employed, and I've spoken to several guys from my old group who are sitting the season out.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 11:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Daylight Follows A Dark Night (Maasai Proverb) …

The CIAC Board of Control acted to postpone all winter sports to January 19, 2021.

This time may be dark, but all regrowth starts in the darkness of a seed. (Daris LaPointe)

Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

still doing it

To my fellow hoop officials who are taking Off the season, I sincerely hope that you will be safe and sane. Your expertise, cultural knowledge, and rich experience base will be sorely missed. I for one plan to work as normal; just got my new schedule Monday, then turnt around this morning and got an arbiter text msg saying that a set of games I was to work for this Monday has been cancelled already. But the Assignor told us to expect sudden cancellations--and since he already knows you are free on that day, then New games replacements will be added to my schedule in quick fashion. In fact, as I'm writing this post I just got an arbitermessenger saying "new games...".
To all of you refs who are taking the season off, I will surely miss your valuable insights, comments, and advice on the resolution of "wonky-type" plays that will inevitably be encountered this season. Please at least be available to respond to our posts because you all are most certainly appreciated by me!
Bless you'all!
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sitting the season out. It's not worth it and with numbers exploding, I don't expect much of a season. If I were single, then maybe I do it. My wife is scared to death about what is going on and doesn't want me exposed. I don't have a good response to that, so I will be sitting out.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 07:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I'm sitting the season out. It's not worth it and with numbers exploding, I don't expect much of a season. If I were single, then maybe I do it. My wife is scared to death about what is going on and doesn't want me exposed. I don't have a good response to that, so I will be sitting out.
That was the initial reason I wasn't going to work this season. Now that we have both had it, I just don't want deal with all the disruptions and uncertainties, necessary protocols, and lack of fellowship/socializing.

Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 07:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
To my fellow hoop officials who are taking Off the season, I sincerely hope that you will be safe and sane. Your expertise, cultural knowledge, and rich experience base will be sorely missed...
What are your testing requirements and protocols?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Nov 17, 2020 at 10:12pm.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2020, 09:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mask Timeouts ...

Quote:
The CIAC Board of Control acted to postpone all winter sports to January 19, 2021.
If interscholastic basketball is played here, there will be extra "mask timeouts" four minutes into each period.

Old Wed Nov 18, 2020, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I'm joining the ranks of officials sitting out this season. At my age, I'm in a high-risk category, and, like SD Referee, I have to think of my partner, who is adamant that I not referee this season.

Yesterday, I received the latest COVID-19 update from the local hospital, where I volunteer. Over the past month, not only have the numbers risen steadily, but they have skyrocketed. A month ago, there were 17 positive tests (reflecting a 1.7% rate); this past week, that number had grown to 135 (8.0%), an 800% increase. The hospital thinks this spike is the result of social gatherings where people ignored essential precautions.

I was hoping things would not come to this, but the hospital report was the proverbial last straw.