The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 29, 2020, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Pickleball In Connecticut ...

Our governor, Ned Lamont, and our State Department of Public Health have canceled all team sports (except for collegiate and professional) in Connecticut until January 19, 2020.

This includes interscholastic (including Christian schools, which were prepared to start December 1, 2020), recreation, travel, adult, AAU, etc., even team sports in school physical education classes, and pick-up-games, are prohibited.

Team Sports on Pause through 1/19/2021
Pause affects all sporting activities except for Collegiate and Professional.
Masks now required in Gyms and Fitness Centers, no exceptions.
“Team” is defined as a group of more than 4 people jointly engaged in an organized or recreational athletic activity on a court, field, etc.

What is prohibited during Team Sports on Pause:
Participation in High Risk Sports (other than conditioning/non-contact drills)
All Team scrimmages, competitions, camps, clinics and tournaments (including all interscholastic, “pick-up” games, and other informal athletic activities)
Participation in any out-of-state Team practices (including conditioning), competitions, camps, clinics and tournaments by CT residents
Participation in competitions, camps, clinics, tournaments in CT by out-of-state Teams
Teams are not able to break up into smaller groups to practice or compete (e.g. a 20 person team practicing or competing in groups of 4 or less at the same time and location is not allowed)

What is allowed during Team Sports on Pause:
Outdoor Recreation activities
Individual and small group training (4 people or fewer)
Individual and small group Moderate and Low Risk Sports (4 people or fewer)
Gyms (masks now required, no exceptions, minimum 6 foot spacing and other Sector Rule Safeguards)
Group Fitness Classes & Dance Studios, Yoga, Martial Arts Instruction, etc.
Reduced to 25% capacity (from 50%)
Masks now required, no exceptions
Subject to minimum 6 foot spacing and other Sector Rule Safeguards
School Gym Classes (No Team sports subject to Pause to be played)

Risk Categorizations with Associated Sports, National Federation of State High School Associations, Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, May 2020

Higher Risk
Sports that involve close, sustained contact between participants, lack of significant protective barriers, and high probability that respiratory particles will be transmitted between participants.
Wrestling, Martial Arts, 11-on-11 Football, Rugby, Boys Lacrosse, Boxing, Competitive Cheer, Competitive Dance Teams

Moderate Risk
Sports that involve close, sustained contact, but with protective equipment in place that may reduce the likelihood of respiratory particle transmission between participants OR intermittent close contact OR group sports OR sports that use equipment that can’t be cleaned between participants.
Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, Swimming relays, Soccer, Water polo, Gymnastics, Ice hockey, Field hockey, 7-on-7 football, Girls lacrosse, Pole vault, High jump, Long jump
Rowing/Crew (with two or more rowers in shell), Tennis (doubles), Racquet sports (squash, pickleball, racquetball)

Lower Risk
Sports that can be done with social distancing or individually with no sharing of equipment or the ability to clean the equipment between use by competitors.
Individual running events, Throwing events (javelin, shot put, discus), Running/Cross Country (staggered starts), Individual swimming, Golf, Weightlifting, Alpine skiing/ snowboarding, Sideline cheer
Rowing/Crew (single sculling), Tennis (singles), Fencing

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 29, 2020 at 01:21pm.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2020, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Santa Clara County in California just shut down athletics at all levels, including professional. Even the SF 49ers are not allowed to practice or play within that county for the next three weeks.
Old Sun Nov 29, 2020, 05:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Beep Beep ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our governor, Ned Lamont, and our State Department of Public Health have canceled all team sports (except for collegiate and professional) in Connecticut until January 19, 2020.
He also cancelled all non-virtual road races.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Dec 03, 2020, 08:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

College Players Wear Masks ...

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp...cka-story.html

Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I have been wearing my black neck gaiter actually while I am reffing games this season. It's not as cumbersome as I thought it would be. No problems with blowing my whistle nor communicati g with the Table personnel. During between quarter break s I just do a quick wipe dry off my sweat. During FT administration I keep whistle tucked between my cheek and gaiter fabric. Yesterday one of the players said "hay ref you look like a ninja", it was amusing.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Fri Dec 04, 2020 at 09:21am. Reason: Grammar
Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Las Vegas has announced the cancelation of all HS Winter sports.
The decision was made by the Clark County School District administration on Tuesday morning. The plan from the state office was to begin the basketball season belatedly in early January, but that is now not going to happen for southern Nevada.
A decision for the northern part of the state should come on 12/8.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Just received notification from a very reliable and connected source that two major cities hear in Virginia have canceled all winter sports, Richmond and Norfolk.

I haven't checked the news yet to see if it is true.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
AND, Henrico County has joined RCPS in cancellation of all winter sports. This leaves Chesterfield and Hanover Counties yet to be heard from. Chesterfield has returned all of its schools to all-virtual learning until the end of the second grading period which ends on 1/29/21. If/when all the dominoes fall, then it'll be a season of dark gyms here in the RVA.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2020, 05:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Indoor Sports ???

https://news.yahoo.com/risky-indoor-...162913543.html

Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That was the initial reason I wasn't going to work this season. Now that we have both had it, I just don't want deal with all the disruptions and uncertainties, necessary protocols, and lack of fellowship/socializing.

Funny you mention that. I recently had it too, but now I'm over it so I'm back in to honor my contracts. I'm not looking forward to it and it's going to be a crappy year.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 02:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Active Naturally Acquired Immunity ...

Quote:
My wife and I both had COVID and neither one of us ever had a fever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I recently had it too, but now I'm over it ...
Once one has COVID-19, is one immune, as with some childhood diseases (chicken pox and measles)?

And if so how long does the immunity last?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 07, 2020 at 03:43pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 03:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Once one has COVID-19, is one immune, as with some childhood diseases (chicken pox and measles)?

And if so how long do the immunity last?
So far, research indicates that immunity should last for years. Of course, at the moment, there's no way to verify that. My wife and I are operating under the assumption that we are safe enough to go to the end of the line for vaccinations.

Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 03:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How Safe ???

Quote:
So far, research indicates that immunity should last for years. Of course, at the moment, there's no way to verify that. My wife and I are operating under the assumption that we are safe enough to go to the end of the line for vaccinations.
Thanks.

Do you both feel safe enough to not wear a mask and to not socially distance when you come into contact with high risk individuals (elderly, chemotherapy, etc.)?

Do you both feel safe enough to not wear a mask and to not socially distance when you come in contact with strangers outside of your immediate household (cohort) who may, or may not, have COVID, either symptomatic, or asymptomatic?

Even if you are immune to COVID and can't get sick (long term or short term), can you still be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus and infect others?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 07, 2020 at 03:51pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 03:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks.

Do you both feel safe enough to not wear a mask and to not socially distance when you come into contact with high risk individuals (elderly, chemotherapy, etc.)?

Do you both feel safe enough to not wear a mask and to not socially distance when you come in contact with strangers outside of your immediate household (cohort) who may, or may not, have COVID, either symptomatic, or asymptomatic?
Yes, we feel safe enough. However we respect that people who do not know us have no idea that we've had Covid and that we are safe. Even if people trust us, if they prefer that we stay masked up, that's what we do.

Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Of course, at the moment, there's no way to verify that."

In the current phase of the disease's progression, where official guidelines still change, and the race for a vaccine continues, I would not take immunity for granted.

At the risk of encouraging BillyMac to dig up an Hill Street Blues clip, be careful out there.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2020, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And if so how long does the immunity last?

Does anybody really know????

I've been told anywhere from 90-150 days of being "immune". My wife was doing some research the other day and read the number of days may be incorrect as there could be different strains out there.