The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Hey Ohio guys...whats your take

Went to the State Clinic last night. For the non Buckeyes, Ohio has a modified coaches box rather than using NF's rule. It basically says that the box is the length of team's occupied bench. So if a team has 19 people on the bench, the box is that long however, both boxes shall be the same size.

Last night, they added they want us to "cause the boxes to be marked" before the game if it has not already been marked. My question is this...if the box isnt marked, the proceedure would be: (I'm asking)

1. find roll of tape
2. hand said tape to someone from game management
3. figure out which team has more folks on the pine
4. ask game management person to mark said box
5. measure said box and apply tape for the other box at approx the same distance

??

Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Can't speak for Ohio but when the "X" was required last year one of us would ask game management to do it. Tape could always be found.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I'm not from Ohio but I play a doctor on tv...and it seems to me the procedure would be to tell the guy who lets you into the locker room to make sure the bench area gets marked before game time.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Can't speak for Ohio but when the "X" was required last year one of us would ask game management to do it. Tape could always be found.
I saw your cap at one meeting. Sure you don't want to speak for Ohio?
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 10:16am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I'd carry a can of fluorescent green spray paint and mark the boundaries directly on the wooden floor. I bet you'd only have to do it once.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Hey Ohio guys...whats your take

Went to the State Clinic last night. For the non Buckeyes, Ohio has a modified coaches box rather than using NF's rule. It basically says that the box is the length of team's occupied bench. So if a team has 19 people on the bench, the box is that long however, both boxes shall be the same size.

Last night, they added they want us to "cause the boxes to be marked" before the game if it has not already been marked. My question is this...if the box isnt marked, the proceedure would be: (I'm asking)

1. find roll of tape
2. hand said tape to someone from game management
3. figure out which team has more folks on the pine
4. ask game management person to mark said box
5. measure said box and apply tape for the other box at approx the same distance

??

Larks,
I was at Princeton as well. After it was explained, the guy from Columbus didn't recommend that we put tape down ourselves because if someone tripped and fell they could sue you. That tells me that he wants the schools to be proactive and do it. Most of them will. But If you don't have a roll of masking tape JIC, you're bound to walk into a gym and it doesn't conform.

Another item that was a POE, was only the head coach is allowed to stand and coach. And he emphasized "tag-team" coaching is not allowed. But Larks, how many times have you done a game in SW Ohio (GCL, GMC, whatever) and the assistants were as active as the head? If you have games in December (I don't until Jan.), you're bound to get some grief about that.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]

Larks,
I was at Princeton as well. After it was explained, the guy from Columbus didn't recommend that we put tape down ourselves because if someone tripped and fell they could sue you. That tells me that he wants the schools to be proactive and do it. Most of them will. But If you don't have a roll of masking tape JIC, you're bound to walk into a gym and it doesn't conform.

Another item that was a POE, was only the head coach is allowed to stand and coach. And he emphasized "tag-team" coaching is not allowed. But Larks, how many times have you done a game in SW Ohio (GCL, GMC, whatever) and the assistants were as active as the head? If you have games in December (I don't until Jan.), you're bound to get some grief about that.
[/QUOTE]

Wiz,

Great point on tag teams. I dont do too much in the GMC yet but in the GCL, those guys coach hard. I've kind of always taken the approach if they are coaching, I dont pay too much attention to them. If they are on me...especially if two of them are on me...thats different. I start in December so we'll see how it goes.

Hmm...nothing like stoking the fire by going over and warning them they are tag teaming. Cant wait to pull that one in a GCL game against the home team. Here fire....have some GAS!

Marking the box: I guess I'll toss a roll of tape in my bag but this seems like its not very well thought out. Why not call it a set distance for both teams and be done with it?

Which assoc are you in Wiz?

Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Larks,
I'm with Greater Cincinnati. I get a few F & JV games in the GCL as well. The toughest doubleheader in the state! (Or I have been told by many other officials.)
My guess is all the GCL teams will have their floors marked. And all will have benches 20+ people long!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:

Marking the box: I guess I'll toss a roll of tape in my bag but this seems like its not very well thought out. Why not call it a set distance for both teams and be done with it?
A few years ago when this was a hot topic in IN, a few times I jokingly said:

"Coach (or Mr. AD), I see you don't have coach's boxes marked. Well, I guess neither of the head coaches can get off the bench since we can't tell if you're going to be in or out of the box."

Sometimes it would work, and instantaneously game management quickly got out some tape and took care of the problem.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
Larks,
I'm with Greater Cincinnati. I get a few F & JV games in the GCL as well. The toughest doubleheader in the state! (Or I have been told by many other officials.)
My guess is all the GCL teams will have their floors marked. And all will have benches 20+ people long!
I am in the Ohio Valley.

Yeah, I've been told plenty of times...GCL FR / JV league double headers are as tough to officiate as any varsity game in town that night.

Ha, one time, the head coach from Kings said to me mid game..."You must work in the GCL". Not sure if that was a compliment or a smack. Maybe both. I think it's because I let em play a little.

[Edited by Larks on Oct 22nd, 2003 at 01:43 PM]
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[Ha, one time, the head coach from Kings said to me mid game..."You must work in the GCL". Not sure if that was a compliment or a smack. Maybe both. I think it's because I let em play a little.
OK, that leads me to one of the POE at the state meeting about "hands". If you called it the way it was explained, how do you think that will go over on Glenway Ave., Montgomery Rd. or North Bend Rd.? Not too well, is my guess.

BTW, if Kings was winning, I'd take it as a compliment!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
A few years ago when this was a hot topic in IN, a few times I jokingly said:

"Coach (or Mr. AD), I see you don't have coach's boxes marked. Well, I guess neither of the head coaches can get off the bench since we can't tell if you're going to be in or out of the box."

Sometimes it would work, and instantaneously game management quickly got out some tape and took care of the problem.
Indy,
Great response. I'll have to remember it.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I saw your cap at one meeting. Sure you don't want to speak for Ohio?
Oh that hat! My hats tend to be the college of the month club. Three sons and 6 colleges and who knows how many more to go. The oldest boy, 29 yrs, being the forever grad student is at Miami U of Ohio.