LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2020, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Are Correct Sir ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
We know that won't stop you.

Came across this during a different casebook search:

6.1.1 COMMENT: Unless a technical foul occurs or a player violates during the dead ball which precedes the start of the game or each extra period, the game and each extra period is started with a jump ball in the center restraining circle. A rejump may be necessary between the jumpers or if the alternating-possession procedure has not been established, a jump ball will take place between the two players involved at the center restraining circle
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 06, 2020, 01:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Came across this during a different casebook search:

6.1.1 COMMENT: Unless a technical foul occurs or a player violates during the dead ball which precedes the start of the game or each extra period, the game and each extra period is started with a jump ball in the center restraining circle. A rejump may be necessary between the jumpers or if the alternating-possession procedure has not been established, a jump ball will take place between the two players involved at the center restraining circle

So my logic still fits.

There are designated jumpers in the rulebook only in situations where two players cause a held ball prior to possession being established for the purposes of setting the AP arrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 06, 2020, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are designated jumpers in the rulebook only in situations where two players cause a held ball prior to possession being established for the purposes of setting the AP arrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1985 ... The NFHS wanted to simply get rid of all real jump balls except start/overtime. Sounds simple enough right, and then they put a ton of effort into explaining how the new alternating possession arrow and procedures would work, figuring that they could just leave start/overtime jump ball language pretty much as it already existed with little change. They figured that the start/overtime jump ball would be the same, unchanged, as it was in the past. Of course, the use of the alternating possession arrow (as opposed to a real jump ball) never requires any "designated" players. In getting rid of all non-start/non-overtime jump balls from the rulebook and casebook, they inadvertently got rid of some non-start/non-overtime situations that could actually occur in a start/overtime jump ball, for example, two jumpers simultaneously tapping the jump ball of bounds. Previous to 1985 we all knew exactly how to handle this very simple situation, whether it occurred at start/overtime, or in the middle of the game, even between two players who were not jumpers. These situations were handled with a jump ball between the two players involved, in other words "designated jumpers", who couldn't be substituted for, or replaced. For those of us old enough to have officiated before 1985, we remember[ those pre-1985 situations, and how to handle them, with lots (although not all, i.e., flange/backboard) of situations with "designated jumpers", and very strict interpretations of not allowing substitutes/replacements for "designated jumpers". Younger officials can only look at the current rulebook and casebook language, and see only two very specific situations regarding "designated jumpers", and far less strict interpretations regarding substitutes/replacements for "designated jumpers".

I find it very hard to believe that the NFHS intended (as in "intent and purpose") for only two very specific situations regarding "designated jumpers" with very strict limits on substitution/replacement of "designated jumpers":

6.4.1 SITUATION C: Following the jump between A1 and B1 to start the first quarter, the jump ball: (b) is touched simultaneously by A2 and B2 and it then goes out of bounds; (c) is simultaneously controlled by A2 and B2; In (b) and (c), A2 and B2 will jump in the center restraining circle regardless of where the ball went out or where the held ball occurred.(4-12-1; 4-28-1)
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)