The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Basketball probably isn't the sport officiate in if you're have a more than average worry about getting sick. We just came off the worst flu season probably since I was in highschool sophomore year and that was 20 years ago. Every other school was being closed because of student absences to flu, won't be surprised if some of those get relabeled covid cases of they get antibody tested.

I'll be out there this winter. Might not be as many grandparents in the stands or calling games though.
As will I.

Can't legislate germs out of sports. Unfortunately some people are hellbent on controlling everyone else's lives.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well, my wife is a medical field worker, nothing has changed in that situation and she works in a major city (where there were mass protests all over the city and suburbs) that I think we will still see influences from this virus based on what is done or not done by youth and pro leagues in the coming weeks. I just had two camps completely canceled that were postponed a few months ago in the last 48 hours. One was originally scheduled for the end of June, the other was from April but looking for a date in July. The school and the shoe company were scrapping their events for I am sure safety reasons and probably a complete lack of commitment from the participants. If schools are still out and kids are not having any school activity now, then it is probably not going to be advantageous for teams to travel to a place that was near the hotbed of a virus outbreak. Also, are travel teams going to take the risk as well?

As a football official, that is what seems to be driving what happens with schools. Right now there is no activity in high school with any sports as there would be basically starting today. So if schools are still in jeopardy of starting, that will influence the fall seasons and then might run into the winter season. So I am not so sure that everything will be back to normal if schools all over the country are not finding a good path to come back in the same form they normally do.

The media covering protests and riots across the country has not changed those facts of what the threat might be. I guess we will see if pro sports even can come back because that is really what started this entire situation in the first place.

Peace
I agree that the protests haven't changed coronavirus facts, it's just interesting that all of a sudden the same media that lectured everyone doesn't seem to be too concerned anymore.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 11:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
We must be, because all the doomsdayers I heard lecture us with the "if it saves even one life" nonsense don't seem to care anymore about social distancing.

You are free to choose how to live your life, and I respect you for considering your father. Not going to hear me tell you otherwise.
Washington Post, New York Times, National Review, NBC News, Boston.com, CNN, and Fox News have addressed it so far. Those appear to be media organizations on both sides of the aisle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree that the protests haven't changed coronavirus facts, it's just interesting that all of a sudden the same media that lectured everyone doesn't seem to be too concerned anymore.
I am like Raymond, I have heard and read and seen things about the virus and the protests and sometimes the stories combined about how we might have a second wave. So we will see what happens. My point is that other things are not changing because of the protests. When we cannot play even summer stuff still because of concerns by organizations and schools, we still are living with the reality of the pandemic. I agree the protests have taken over most of the coverage, but still see people talking about the virus and the affects of things opening. Also many states have opened and many business have opened with conditions. So it is still a wait and see position.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Peaceful ...

Quote:
Not many of the "reopen" protesters were setting fire to their cities and destroying businesses ... Also, if you do your research you can clearly see how the importance of masks (especially porous cloth ones) is overstated ... Touching your mask and putting it back on all day long would seem to defeat the purpose according to common sense.
I don't believe that any of them were, which is specifically why I referred to them as "peaceful" and never even considered the possibility that some of them could be considered "rioters". Here in Connecticut, the worst they did was to slow down response times of some fire trucks and ambulances by blocking traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... Not many peaceful, long gun carrying "reopen" protesters wore face masks ...
Surgical face masks will never stop the inhaling of the virus, especially any fine airborne aerosolized particles, but it will definitely stop the larger droplets from being sprayed several feet when the wearer is talking, singing (Connecticut Catholics are going back to church next week, but no singing), breathing deeply, coughing, or sneezing.

I wear my mask to protect others, especially others that may be at a greater risk than most of the population. I also know how to put my mask on and take my mask off properly (only touching the straps), and to only wear my mask for one day before laundering. I also believe that my mask has the added benefit that it reminds me not to, and makes it more difficult for me to, touch my face (mouth or nose).

I've named my mask Charleen (reference to Full Metal Jacket).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 01, 2020 at 01:09pm.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tell Him That BillyMac Said So ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I plan on visiting my father's for Father's Day, so I'll be getting tested and self-quarantining the week before I go b/c I can't afford to be asymptomatic and give my diabetic and cancer surviving father the virus.
You're a good son, and your Dad should be proud to have raised a son like you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's Scared ???

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 01, 2020 at 12:34pm.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Was That Masked Black Man ???

Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 12:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You're a good son, and your Dad should be proud to have raised a son like you.
Thanks... He's also showing some signs of dementia so he probably won't even remember it a month afterwards (no joke).

Back to the subject at hand, I know this upcoming high School season things are going have to be done differently as far as pre-game expectations for venues that don't have proper locker rooms for us. There are way too many unsanitary, cramped, and poorly ventilated changing rooms we are expected to utilize. I know I'll be advocating for 30 minutes prior showtime for varsity games, already dressed except for sneakers, and not going back to a cramp space breathing on each other at halftime.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thoughtful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are way too many unsanitary, cramped, and poorly ventilated changing rooms we are expected to utilize. I know I'll be advocating for 30 minutes prior showtime for varsity games, already dressed except for sneakers, and not going back to a cramp space breathing on each other at halftime.
Sounds reasonable.

I'm a big advocate of showing a "professional look" for interscholastic games, especially for games at the high school level, but under these corona virus circumstances, I'm 100% all in for get in, get out, and get paid.

Also, no pregame coaches captains meetings.

Quote:
... several years ago, during a really nasty flu season, I had a partner who, after coaches and captains hand-shaking, took a small bottle of hand sanitizer out of his warm-up jacket pocket and cleaned his hands. I guess he was years ahead of his time.
It sure would be nice if we had a vaccine by then.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 01, 2020 at 12:57pm.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's On First Eating A Turkey Drumstick ...

Quote:
... switch baseball and football seasons. Have baseball, an easy sport for social distancing, this coming fall, and have football in the spring of 2021 when we may have a vaccine. Football goes with tulips and daffodils? Right?
We can start a new tradition, Thanksgiving baseball. Big-time rival high schools playing a game of rounders in front of alumni, students, cheerleaders, mascots, teachers, family, and friends, followed by traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinners.

Pass me the gravy and the dressing. Can I have seconds on the mashed potatoes and the turnips? Can't wait for the pumpkin pie for dessert. How about that exciting bases loaded walk in the bottom of the seventh? The home crowd went wild.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 01, 2020 at 01:25pm.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, no pregame coaches captains meetings.
Might be the best thing to come out of this.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 01:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Just Part Of The Way Around ...

Quote:
Might be the best thing to come out of this.
What? How can we play the game without shaking hands with both head coaches and all eight quad-captains, telling coaches to be sure that their players know how to tuck their jerseys in, and without asking who the speaking captains are, what their numbers are, and if they're starting? And I almost forgot, how will they know that it's the black line all the way around? Dr. Naismith will be rolling over in his grave.

Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 03:35pm
beware big brother

Wearing a mask is pretty much useless. The coronavirus has a diameter somewhere between 60-140 nanometers. The pores in the material of the masks people are using are much bigger, meaning the virus can pass right through. In fact, the pore size on the N95 medical mask can filter 99% of particles between 0.1 - 0.3 microns. Sounds impressive, except that converts to 100 - 300 nanometers, again meaning much of the virus can get through the filter.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Useless ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Wearing a mask is pretty much useless. The coronavirus has a diameter somewhere between 60-140 nanometers. .
Surgical masks are not stopping the tiny corona virus particles, they're stopping the larger diameter respiratory droplets (that contain tremendous numbers of the much smaller diameter corona virus) from being exhaled or spit out by those that have COVID-19, especially from those that are asymptomatic for COVID-19 and who don't know that they're sick (and may not be socially distancing, or can't socially distance, like at work).

A mask, be it a surgical mask, or an N-95 mask, doesn't have to be 100% effective to be better than no mask at all.

I'm sure that many of us have seen slow motion video of respiratory droplets been coughed or sneezed out of one's nose or mouth and how far they can travel.

How are surgical masks useless?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 01, 2020 at 05:42pm.
Closed Thread