The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Shot Clock Violation Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104984-ncaa-shot-clock-violation-question.html)

bob jenkins Sat Feb 15, 2020 09:52pm

Play similar to OP (as described) happens with 13.x to go in Loyola - Northern IA game. Officials correctly called the violation, then went to the monitor to put 14.6 on the clock.

JRutledge Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:25pm

Here is the play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6pGZkn_t6Tk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Feb 16, 2020 09:01am

Missed call.

BillyMac Sun Feb 16, 2020 01:09pm

Get Smart ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1037651)
Missed call.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oPwrodxghrw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

so cal lurker Sun Feb 16, 2020 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1037639)
Play similar to OP (as described) happens with 13.x to go in Loyola - Northern IA game. Officials correctly called the violation, then went to the monitor to put 14.6 on the clock.

Query: when does the violation occur? Is at the expiration of the shot clock? Or, if a shot is in the air, is it when it is apparent the ball will not hit the rim?

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2020 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1037667)
Query: when does the violation occur? Is at the expiration of the shot clock? Or, if a shot is in the air, is it when it is apparent the ball will not hit the rim?

By rule we can put the game clock at the exact time the shot clock expired.

Possession starts at 44.6, game clock at 14.6 if violation is whistled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Sun Feb 16, 2020 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1037667)

In NCAAW, it's the time the whistle blows. Theer's some case play on this -- I think back in either the violations section or in the replay section.

In this NCAAM game, replays showed that the time as the ball passed below the level of the rim was 14.6

Robert Goodman Mon Feb 17, 2020 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1037629)
I'd like to see that be a rule. If the defense gains control during a shot clock violation, then play on. Get rid of the game disruption.

Ex. Offense shoots, shot clock signals, airball shot is caught by defense. = play on.

The only way that change would affect strategy is that sometimes that team would prefer a throw-in with the clock stopped. And of course sometimes they'd prefer not.

bucky Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1037679)
The only way that change would affect strategy is that sometimes that team would prefer a throw-in with the clock stopped. And of course sometimes they'd prefer not.

For sure, good point. I was trying to think of other strategic reasons too. I can see a defense getting the ball and immediately being trapped by the new "defense". In that case, the violation would have benefited the new offense and penalized the shooting team. However, I prefer that there is no game disruption over those other rare situations. Lesser of two evils I guess, plus my preferences are also irrelevant. ;)

bucky Thu Feb 20, 2020 08:37pm

So, just saw another case of this. With 10:38 to go in the Ohio State/Iowa game, there is an Ohio State shot attempt that is deflected high in the air. An Iowa player jumps, secures control of the ball in the air and lands. The shot clock horn sounds right about when the Iowa player touches the floor. Play continued for a split second and then Wymer blew his whistle indicating a shot clock violation. Here is a case where it would be nice, even if a violation, to ignore it. Also, not sure why Wymer called it a hair late.

Video would be nice but only if it is easy.

Nevadaref Thu Feb 20, 2020 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1037746)
So, just saw another case of this. With 10:38 to go in the Ohio State/Iowa game, there is an Ohio State shot attempt that is deflected high in the air. An Iowa player jumps, secures control of the ball in the air and lands. The shot clock horn sounds right about when the Iowa player touches the floor. Play continued for a split second and then Wymer blew his whistle indicating a shot clock violation. Here is a case where it would be nice, even if a violation, to ignore it. Also, not sure why Wymer called it a hair late.

Video would be nice but only if it is easy.

By rule, that play should not have been stopped as the Iowa player secured control of the ball prior to the shot clock horn sounding.

bucky Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1037748)
By rule, that play should not have been stopped as the Iowa player secured control of the ball prior to the shot clock horn sounding.

Exactly! It was very strange to see someone of that caliber (Wymer) make that call. And he did it as if he "caught" something by rule and was ensuring doing things the correct way.

JRutledge Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32pm

I think from his angle he probably felt there was a chance of the ball not being secured. But the Iowa player clearly had possession.

Peace

JRutledge Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09pm

Here the play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AlvlLh6xF0Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

SC Official Fri Feb 21, 2020 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1037749)
Exactly! It was very strange to see someone of that caliber (Wymer) make that call. And he did it as if he "caught" something by rule and was ensuring doing things the correct way.

OMFG, a national championship official potentially made a mistake in judgment!!

Yawn.

It must be almost March.