The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Assignor Pay

I made a joke about becoming the assignor for our local HS group, and apparently some people thought that was a great idea. So I figured I'd ask y'all what the pay is for such a gig, and what are the pitfalls of such an activity.

Relevant facts: 16 Public HS, roughly 15 MS, 15 Private HS. No rec ball.

Questions:
What pay should I request? What is the minimum you'd take?
Main issues you people face?
Anything you'd care to share?

I've until after the season to accept the position, because quite frankly the current assigning system is a damn goat rodeo and I want my name no where near it until the following year.

Last edited by Player989random; Mon Jan 13, 2020 at 03:47pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

It will vary widely between organizations. And by widely, I mean WIDELY.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 04:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There are a lot of variables.

How many levels? How many slots to fill? What happens with rescheduled games?

You probably need to figure out what makes the gig worth it.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are a lot of variables.

How many levels? How many slots to fill? What happens with rescheduled games?

You probably need to figure out what makes the gig worth it.
There are a lot variables to this, but the following is simplified. 3 man for all varsity games, 2 man for all MS and JV games. Rescheduled games get pushed to another free date around here, anywhere from next day to 2 weeks.

16 Public HS, Roughly 15 MS, 15 Private HS

Assume JV & V for every school, B&G

Public HS: 32 V teams, 32 JV
Public MS: 60 teams (7th Grade is JV & 8th Varsity)
Private HS: 30 V teams, 30 JV

Assume 24 games per team, assume 9 games aren't assigned by us, leaves us with 15 games per team. And MS plays roughly 10 games.

930 Varsity Games, 2790 slots
930 JV Games, 1860 slots
600 MS Games, 1200 slots

2460 Games, 5850 assignments

There are other factors, such as all-girl schools, schools with no Girl's JV teams, some freshman teams. Playoffs, reschedules.

If I'm leaving anything out, please tell me. I have no idea what I might be walking into. Any thoughts on what you'd expect to paid for such a task?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Assignment Commissioner ...

My local board pays our assignment commissioner $31,920.00.

He assigns for about seventy high schools (boys, girls, varsity, junior varsity, freshman), and a few dozen middle schools (boys, girls).

We have about 320 officials on my local board.

We have an assistant assignment commissioner who assigns preseason scrimmages. His pay is $3,000.00 (he's also in charge of our evaluation process).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 14, 2020 at 11:07am.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 07:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Our HS assignor is paid a game fee for each team's schedule that he assigns.

So if a school has boys and girls Varsity, JV, and Freshman teams, the assignor gets $88 + $88 + $67 + $67+ $67 + $67 to do all the games for that school.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 06:47am
This IS My Social Life

Non-$$$ Considerations

One intangible or two that you might want to think about go beyond monetary renumeration. Does there exist an adequate pool of officials to assign to the games you'd be responsible for. If not, your role as assigner will be a frustrating experience from the start. Or whether, for the amount that you'd be receiving, you'd be able to evaluate and remain in touch with the levels of proficiency of the individuals in your assigning pool in order to match the most challenging games with the most proficient officials. Nowadays, some assigners are jumping into the business concerned only about gobbling up schools and conferences, then "filling slots", regardless of these concerns, and it's disbenefiting our vocation as a whole. Other assigners are going so far as hiring a trainer or training staff to enhance the skills of his/her assignees and identifying personally who's able and who's unable to do what.
Not disuading you. Only expressing some considerations that might come into play about which you might already be well aware.
Hopefully, important considerations like these will play a part in your decision whether or not to become an assigner.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 09:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Observations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... you'd be able to evaluate and remain in touch with the levels of proficiency of the individuals in your assigning pool in order to match the most challenging games with the most proficient officials.
Our local assigner is out every night observing officials (as well as using peer evaluations, and evaluations by trained observers). A few seasons ago he missed only one night, his grandson's birthday.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Our assigner gets 6% of every game fee. Regular season has about 2200 games.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
One intangible or two that you might want to think about go beyond monetary renumeration. Does there exist an adequate pool of officials to assign to the games you'd be responsible for. If not, your role as assigner will be a frustrating experience from the start. Or whether, for the amount that you'd be receiving, you'd be able to evaluate and remain in touch with the levels of proficiency of the individuals in your assigning pool in order to match the most challenging games with the most proficient officials. Nowadays, some assigners are jumping into the business concerned only about gobbling up schools and conferences, then "filling slots", regardless of these concerns, and it's disbenefiting our vocation as a whole. Other assigners are going so far as hiring a trainer or training staff to enhance the skills of his/her assignees and identifying personally who's able and who's unable to do what.
Not disuading you. Only expressing some considerations that might come into play about which you might already be well aware.
Hopefully, important considerations like these will play a part in your decision whether or not to become an assigner.
Full story:

Our assignments are coming to us with anywhere from 72-24 hours notice. All assignments. This is frustrating the hell out of our refs, and we're starting to lose people.

We lack development, and our top talent is either old or electing a college-only schedule. We could keep the latter if we got our act together, but I'd say inside 5 years we won't be able to provide quality officiating to games that need them. I'm also one of the top officials, and taking this role might take me off the HS court, and that's a big hit as I work a lot of games for this group.

It's a multi-level problem that starts from the bottom, and we'd need several key reforms starting at recruitment, development, and retention. Something that the entire nation is struggling with. But if schedules got better, we could hold on to enough people to allow us to "bring up the bench".
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

'Nough Said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Our assignments are coming to us with anywhere from 72-24 hours notice. All assignments. This is frustrating the hell out of our refs, and we're starting to lose people. We lack development, and our top talent is either old or electing a college-only schedule ... I'd say inside 5 years we won't be able to provide quality officiating to games that need them.
It's a multi-level problem that starts from the bottom, and we'd need several key reforms starting at recruitment, development, and retention.

Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Here we have some JV assignors who were paid a few dollars a game. Then to cut costs it was dropped to 2000 per season. I think you are insane to do less than $5 a game.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Yeah, yeah I know. The ship is full of holes, but it isn't sinking. Not yet anyway.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Abandon Ship ...

Quote:
Yeah, yeah I know. The ship is full of holes, but it isn't sinking. Not yet anyway.

Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Full story:

Our assignments are coming to us with anywhere from 72-24 hours notice. All assignments. This is frustrating the hell out of our refs, and we're starting to lose people.
I assume you mean your current assignor is giving out the assignments at that time. Or, do you mean your current assignor is getting the games from the schools less than a week before and then assigns them. That is...is it all on him or are there bigger problems?

Assigning is a lot more work than some may realize. Don't underestimate the work required.