The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Purdue v Michigan - Travel Missed? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104907-purdue-v-michigan-travel-missed.html)

RefsNCoaches Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53am

Purdue v Michigan - Travel Missed?

Michigan player Xavier Simpson receives a pass with both feet on the floor...he then takes a small "hop" where both feet hit the floor at the same time, then raises to take shot...releases the ball and returns to the floor.

No call was made by the C....did they get it right or kick it? I'm trying to understand it. Either foot can be the pivot foot...I want to say they kicked this?

Thoughts...

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28455496

Edit to put up ESPN video

BillyMac Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32am

The Bunny Hop (The Ray Anthony Orchestra, 1952) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 1036633)
... receives a pass with both feet on the floor...he then takes a small "hop" where both feet hit the floor at the same time, then raises to take shot...releases the ball and returns to the floor.

I had the exact play yesterday. Of course my game wasn't on national television but was a middle school girls game. A grandmother was recording the game on her cell phone but she wouldn't let me use the video on the Forum (she hit me with her purse). Girl receives a pass on the wing, outside the three point arc, with both feet on the floor. She takes a bunny hop forward a few inches, both feet simultaneously coming off the floor, both feet coming back down simultaneously to contact the floor, still outside the three point arc, and shoots the ball. I sounded my whistle for a travel and sure enough the ball goes in. Wiped off the basket. Coach wasn't too happy with me. Was I wrong?

RefsNCoaches Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1036634)
I had the exact play yesterday. Of course my game wasn't on national television but was a middle school girls game. Girl receives a pass on the wing, outside the three point arc, with both feet on the floor. She takes a bunny hop forward a few inches, both feet simultaneously coming off the floor, both feet coming back down simultaneously to contact the floor, and shoots the ball. I sounded my whistle for a travel and sure enough the ball goes in. Wiped off the basket. Coach wan't too happy with me. Was I wrong?

Billy...I don't think you're wrong in your call...I would call it as well...

This is why I posted it...I may be over thinking it based on the fact that catching the ball with both feet, either may become the pivot foot. I'm sure there is more specific wording in the rule book (that I don't have in front of me at work) pertaining to moving both feet......With that said, this is the classic old school playground rule "up and down" :p

I'm trying to find rationale for NOT calling it (as the C official in that game passed on it) but without rule or case book in front of me, along with massive head cold that has me looped up on cold meds...I may just be off my rocker today. :D

BillyMac Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:43am

Actually, It's Up 'N Down ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 1036635)
"up and down"

Signal chart citation please.

sdoebler Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:49am

Yes it is a travel. Also I believe that exact play (bunny hop) is a POE.

RefsNCoaches Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1036636)
Signal chart citation please.

HAHAHA...Maybe you missed my qualifier...PLAYGROUND... :p

Reminds me of Marques Johnson's line in White Men Can't Jump...."I'mma go to my car....get my gun...and shoot all you M***** F****!"

BillyMac Fri Jan 10, 2020 01:26pm

Do The Bunny Hop, Hop, Hop, Hop ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1036637)
... (bunny hop) is a POE.

NFHS Basketball 2009-10 Points Of Emphasis
Traveling.
The traveling rule has not changed; however, the committee is still concerned that the rule is not being properly enforced. Consequently, offensive players are gaining a tremendous advantage. Areas of specific concern are: the spin move, the step-through move, the jump stop, perimeter shooters taking an extra “hop” prior to releasing the try and ball handlers lifting the pivot foot prior to releasing the ball on the dribble. The key to determining the legality of those moves is to first find the pivot foot. Then, if the player moves a foot or the feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits, a traveling violation has occurred. Officials must know the rule, find the pivot foot and improve call accuracy; coaches must demand that players execute this skill properly, especially in practice; players must continue to develop this basic skill and practice performing legal moves.
Guidelines for Teaching and Officiating
A. Determine the pivot foot immediately.
B. At the start of the dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted.
C. After the dribble has ended, the player may lift pivot foot, but must release the ball on a pass or shot before the pivot foot returns to floor.
D. A player may never take two steps while in possession of the ball.

BigT Fri Jan 10, 2020 02:07pm

Bunny Hop isnt called in this state at any level. Most travels are not called in this state. Very few call the extra step that allows the offensive player to get past good defense.

His bunny hop helped the defense get closer and block the shot. It only hurts the shooter and gives them no advantage. I am not going to be that guy cuz in Rome they do not call it. I am ok not calling it. If they jump to the left or right to avoid a defender thats the easiest call in the world to make. If we are telling ourselves that we call every travel we see by rule every game every night.. Id like the game film.

If also bet if you watched the entire game or other college games you would see this is passed on a lot more than it is called.

Just my two cents.

I love this forum.

Zoochy Fri Jan 10, 2020 02:37pm

Rocky Horror

Let's do the Time Warp again.
At one time it was a violation. Not any more????
Are we now following the Rule, if it is a smooth athletic move then it must be legal?

RefsNCoaches Fri Jan 10, 2020 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1036654)
NFHS Basketball 2009-10 Points Of Emphasis
Traveling.
The traveling rule has not changed; however, the committee is still concerned that the rule is not being properly enforced. Consequently, offensive players are gaining a tremendous advantage. Areas of specific concern are: the spin move, the step-through move, the jump stop, [B][COLOR="Red"]perimeter shooters taking an extra “hop” prior to releasing the try and ball handlers lifting the pivot foot prior to releasing the ball on the dribble. The key to determining the legality of those moves is to first find the pivot foot. Then, if the player moves a foot or the feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits, a traveling violation has occurred. Officials must know the rule, find the pivot foot and improve call accuracy; coaches must demand that players execute this skill properly, especially in practice; players must continue to develop this basic skill and practice performing legal moves.
Guidelines for Teaching and Officiating
A. Determine the pivot foot immediately.
B. At the start of the dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted.
C. After the dribble has ended, the player may lift pivot foot, but must release the ball on a pass or shot before the pivot foot returns to floor.
D. A player may never take two steps while in possession of the ball.

Playing devils advocate... ;)

Raymond Fri Jan 10, 2020 03:34pm

Technically, a bunny hop is no different than a jump shooter who never releases the try and comes back down to the court with the ball.

RefsNCoaches Fri Jan 10, 2020 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1036665)
Technically, a bunny hop is no different that a jump shooter who never releases the try and comes back down to the court with the ball.

I know...I'm picking at the wording of the rule at this point.
I had some guys at work going because I am a Michigan fan and they are IU guys....I keyed in on/argued about establishing a pivot foot to determine travel and got them thinking :D

Technically, I guess 44-1 where it says A Player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor may pivot using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot.

44-4 does say one or both may be lifted but not returned to the floor before ball is released....but it also is preceded by After coming to stop and neither foot can be a pivot

Camron Rust Fri Jan 10, 2020 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 1036668)
I know...I'm picking at the wording of the rule at this point.
I had some guys at work going because I am a Michigan fan and they are IU guys....I keyed in on/argued about establishing a pivot foot to determine travel and got them thinking :D

Technically, I guess 44-1 where it says A Player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor may pivot using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot.

44-4 does say one or both may be lifted but not returned to the floor before ball is released....but it also is preceded by After coming to stop and neither foot can be a pivot

The beginning of 4-44 establishes that foot movement, while holding the ball, outside the prescribed limits is a travel. If a player does something with his/her feet while holding the ball that is not described, it is, by definition, a travel.

BillyMac Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:36am

Why Not ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 1036656)
Bunny Hop isn't called in this state at any level.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.l...=0&w=191&h=180

By official interpretation (by interpreters, assigners, evaluators, trainers, camp clinicians, trained observers, etc.)?

Is this how your rookies are trained?

Is this how you answer questions on written exams?

Or by younger officials who have observed veteran officials who have observed older veteran officials, etc., making the same call incorrectly over and over and over again?

Quote:

... gives them no advantage.

If it didn't give an advantage, they wouldn't do it.

The extra step allows the shooter to get his timing and balance down and allows him to more comfortably make the shot.

Maybe the shooter believes that the closer (even a little) one is to the basket, the higher one's shooting percentage is going to be.

Maybe the shooter believes that the extra forward momentum gives a little more distance to his shot, making it easier to reach the basket?

These are all advantages that are definitely not intended by rule.

Maybe he expected to release the ball before he landed and made a mistake, creating a violation?

Maybe he mistakenly thought he caught the ball while airborne, creating a violation?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now could somebody please help me down from this soapbox, I'm getting dizzy up here.

And of course, as usual for any basketball rules interpretation, mechanic, etc., when in Rome (or Salt Lake City) ...

BillyMac Sat Jan 11, 2020 02:54pm

When I See It, I Call It ...

Quote:

If we are telling ourselves that we call every travel we see by rule every game every night ...

I do. If I see it, I call it.

Every game. Every night. Consistently. Never ignore. Never pass. Never consider advantage/disadvantage on a travel.

Sometimes I make a mistake by calling it.

Sometimes I make a mistake by not calling it.

But when I see it, I call it.

And when I don't see it, I don't call it.

If I'm unsure, I don't call it.