The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...ize=1200%2C750

Teams show up for Tournament. One has Yellow shirts the other has Black.
What do you do?

Last edited by Zoochy; Mon Dec 30, 2019 at 04:52pm.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 05:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post

What do you do?

We play. I can tell those apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 05:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

You play the game because there's no problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Play and send report to state.

However, I would require #52 to take the white undershirt off to play.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 05:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kick The Can ...

I'd play the game (after all, we do this for the kids), possibly mentioning it to the site dictator (or gold coach) on the way out, and definitely sending an email to my assigner when I get home.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

What’s the rule set you’re playing under?? And if it’s NFHS where home team should wear white, because it’s a tourney, has there been a waiver granted by the TD??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yellow and Black should be OK, because the teams clearly contrast. Under NCAA, light colors are A-OK. NFHS, I'd allow them to play, but write a report to my assigner and state association, and remind the team that home team must wear white, unless there is a waiver for the tournament, or in place from the state association.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you do?
Per NFHS rules the yellow jerseys of the home team are illegal as they are not the required color of white. The head coach is to be penalized with a direct technical foul to start the game.

Whether officials take this course of action or a different path will depend upon what is expected of them by the assignor of the contest and its governing authority.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Per NFHS rules the yellow jerseys of the home team are illegal as they are not the required color of white. The head coach is to be penalized with a direct technical foul to start the game.

Whether officials take this course of action or a different path will depend upon what is expected of them by the assignor of the contest and its governing authority.
Agreed. This was recently (12/18) published in IL:

a. When schools request to wear an alternate color home jersey on a ‘special’ night, schools may request, in writing, to wear a non-white jersey for a given home game. Again, this can occur ONLY if permission has been granted in advance, and the school/coach has the letter of permission at the game.

b. With the growing interest in having these special nights has grown, the IHSA has generally allowed schools one time per year to wear the non-conforming colored jersey. When approval is granted, however, the away team must wear white that night, even though they are not the home team.

c. The host school must let the officials know and ensure the visiting team will be wearing white.

d. If an official shows up and works a game where the home team wears a jersey that is a color other than white, and the school can't provide an approval letter from the IHSA, the officials should penalize the offending team in accordance with rule 10 in the NFHS Basketball Rules Book and complete a Special Report following the contest.

e. Officials and players are expected to follow the established rules during contests.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Yup. This is a “check your local listings” kind of thing.
I worked in Rhode Island last year and there was a poor urban startup school that ordered uniforms with illegal numbers. The RIIL stepped in and asked officials not to penalize it for their first season in order to allow them time to raise some new funds to correct their mistake.
Moved back to Virginia this year and encountered a charter school in a similar predicament. Only there was no league or state guidance this time around. Compounding this, the HC up and quit a week before and the interim HC was in over his head. We noticed the illegal numbers as they took their warmups off (my R partner should have noticed when he checked the book but didn’t), but no team member had yet participated, so knowing that applying 10-6 would result in the coach being seatbelted, we all got creative. Long story short, about four minutes later #17 checked in as #10 (they tape-jobbed the numeral), we looked at the coach and he said with a smile, “I know, go ahead and get it over with.” So we changed the number in the book, assessed the Admin T under 10-1, and the coach didn’t have to sit. Life went on and everyone was satisfied. HC also had a #7 who never participated. Could have changed that number too without penalty because of the one-T maximum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Basketball ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... also had a #7
Mickey Mantle? Let him play.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 31, 2019 at 12:13pm.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 10:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Sense And Discretion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... ‘special’ night' ...
Over the past few years, many basketball teams have held “Cancer Awareness Nights”. This often involves the wearing of special uniforms and equipment, often involving, but not limited to, players wearing the color pink. Officials should utilize common sense and discretion when dealing with these special circumstances.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm

I don't think they were wearing yellow uniforms in recognition for Cancer awareness.
So.....
If they are wearing 'PINK' uniforms, for cancer awareness, then do undershirts have to be Pink?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 06:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rainbow Connection ...

Quote:
I don't think they were wearing yellow uniforms in recognition for Cancer awareness.
You don't?

Old Tue Dec 31, 2019, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Empathy ...

Quote:
If they are wearing 'PINK' uniforms, for cancer awareness, then do undershirts have to be Pink?
I'm the most hard ass fashion policeman out there, but I still say, in regard to "Special" nights (disease awareness, memorials, etc.), utilize common sense, discretion, and a little sincere empathy.