The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Admin Tech on a Foul shot

TEAM B is fouled in the act of shoot is going to the line to shoot 2 FT. Team A does not have a player in the book and is given an Admin Tech You would administer the two fouls shots then the Techs. Here is my question do you give the ball to team A after all shots have been taken or do you go to the arrow? Keep in mind this is an admin Tech.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrucks1 View Post
TEAM B is fouled in the act of shoot is going to the line to shoot 2 FT. Team A does not have a player in the book and is given an Admin Tech You would administer the two fouls shots then the Techs. Here is my question do you give the ball to team A after all shots have been taken or do you go to the arrow? Keep in mind this is an admin Tech.
HS or college rules?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hs
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Administer the fouls in the order they occurred.
The Team B player that was fouled will have 2 throws for the personal foul w/o anyone lined up.
Then any member(s) from Team B will shoot the Technical foul.
Team B will have a Throw-in at the division line opposite the table.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Order of occurrence in HS. Which foul was called first? Which foul was called second? Penalize them in that order!
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Administer the fouls in the order they occurred.
The Team B player that was fouled will have 2 throws for the personal foul w/o anyone lined up.
Then any member(s) from Team B will shoot the Technical foul.
Team B will have a Throw-in at the division line opposite the table.
Team B gets it even on a admin tech? I have seen it administered where Team A got the ball.

So on any Tech the team shooting the tech automatically gets the ball back regardless of the type of tech??
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team B gets it even on a admin tech? I have seen it administered where Team A got the ball.

So on any Tech the team shooting the tech automatically gets the ball back regardless of the type of tech??
In HS part of the penalty for a technical foul is possession of the ball by way of a throw-in at the division line opposite the table.

So, yes, the offended team gets the ball in HS, with a couple of rare exceptions.
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In HS part of the penalty for a technical foul is possession of the ball by way of a throw-in at the division line opposite the table.

So, yes, the offended team gets the ball in HS, with a couple of rare exceptions.
Got it do you know what the rare instances are? This was really the only one I could think of because it was administrative. Not to the coach or team. Also I have read that it is a one shot in HS is that correct or no?
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Under NFHS rules, yes, assuming we’re not talking about a Double Technical or other rare scenario where a bunch of Ts happen to offset somehow (like in a fight scenario). Ts are very simple to administer in HS (easy for officials to learn and apply consistently) and weighted heavily so would-be offending teams take them seriously (two shots and the ball for even the most banal types).

NCAA is a different story, with a variety of T types carrying different penalty weights and play often resumed at the point it was interrupted. In other words, shoot the foul shot(s), then go back to what you were doing, even if it means the offending team keeping the ball. Some severe Ts (like Flagrant 2 Ts, for example), are administered more severely and include possession.

That would be a lot of permutation types for the average Joe High School JV Official to learn, memorize, and apply, which I believe is part of the reason NFHS keeps their T penalty administration consistent and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also I have read that it is a one shot in HS is that correct or no?

All Ts in HS (except doubles/offsetting) are two shots each. Also, they all count as team fouls toward the bonus, administrative or otherwise.

That is not always the case in college. For example, in NCAAM, a Class B technical is one shot and doesn’t count as a team foul toward the bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got it do you know what the rare instances are? This was really the only one I could think of because it was administrative. Not to the coach or team. Also I have read that it is a one shot in HS is that correct or no?
All technical fouls warrant two FTs in HS. College and the NBA have one shot penalties.

Two examples in which the throw-in would not be awarded following the FTs for a T are if it occurred after the expiration of time in a quarter, but prior to the related activity of that quarter ending or if the T was followed by another foul prior to the awarding of the throw-in.

My first example would be this scenario: A1 releases a try just prior to the horn at the end of the first quarter and is fouled in the act of shooting. The team B coach doesn’t like the call and argues earning a technical foul. A1 would attempt 2FTs followed by any team A player attempting another 2FTs for the T, but then the quarter would end and the throw-in part of the penalty does not carry over to the next quarter, so the second quarter would start with an AP throw-in.