The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 02:52am
This IS My Social Life

2019-20 NFHS Interpretations

Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2019-20
By NFHS on October 09, 2019

(Underlining shows additions; strikethrough shows deletions.)

RULES BOOK CORRECTIONS: 4-41-7 (Page 41): Remove “or try for field goal;” 10-6-1 NOTE (Page 66): Add “and any number of assistant coaches” after “head coach.”

CASE BOOK CORRECTIONS: 3.5.4 SITUATION B (Page 23): Ruling for (c) should be Illegal Legal.

OFFICIALS MANUAL CORRECTIONS: 4.4.3B Held Ball (Page 53): Replace “for a held ball immediately. There is no need to raise a hand for the stopclock signal” so that it reads “Give the signal to stop the clock for a violation followed by the signal for a held ball;” 5.4.3B Held Ball (Page 89): Replace “for a held ball immediately” so that it reads “Give the signal to stop the clock for a violation followed by the signal for a held ball.”

SITUATION 1: A1 is waiting at the table to substitute into the game. The official recognizes the substitute is wearing pre-wrap tied in the back as a headband. RULING: The substitute is permitted to enter the game wearing the pre-wrap as a headband provided it meets all the guidelines for a headband. (3-5-4b)

SITUATION 2: A1 is wearing a ribbon to control her hair. RULING: Illegal. Ribbons are considered decorations and the athlete should not be allowed to enter the contest while wearing a ribbon in the hair. (3-5-4e)

SITUATION 3: Members on Team A are wearing headbands that have two manufacturers’ logos. RULING: Team A members wearing headbands with two manufacturers’ logos should not be allowed to enter the contest until the headbands are removed. Headbands with one manufacturer’s logo should meet the headband requirements. (3-5- 4, 3-6)

SITUATION 4: Team A is wearing a patch on its uniforms to honor one of its teammates who was injured in an accident. The patch is the school logo with his/her number on it. RULING: This is not legal. A commemorative/memorial patch may be worn on the jersey, provided it is not a logo or number, and must be worn above the neckline or in the side insert. Such patches shall not exceed 4 square inches. (3-4-2c)

SITUATION 5: B1 is observed wearing a mouthguard, but no other member of Team B is wearing this type of equipment. RULING: This is legal (personal choice), but is not mandatory. (3-8)

SITUATION 6: During the pre-game warm-up period, an official notices that A1 is wearing a religious medal on the end of a chain. RULING: The player shall be instructed that in order to wear the religious medal, the medal must be taped to the body and worn under the uniform. (3-5-4 EXCEPTION b)

SITUATION 7: A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts or warmups instead of shorts? RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be “shorts.” Wearing tights below the uniform shorts would be legal. The player has the option of wearing long pants as the uniform “bottom” to be in compliance with NFHS rules as well. (3-4-5, 3-5-3)

SITUATION 8: During the pre-game warm-up, the officials observe that A4 is wearing a ring with tape covering it. The officials notify A’s head coach that A4 must remove the ring in order to participate in the pre-game warm-up and the game. The coach and A4 respond that the ring cannot physically be removed. RULING: The referee informs A’s head coach that A4 cannot participate while wearing a ring, even with the tape covering it. (3-5-7)

SITUATION 9: A1, while dribbling the ball in the frontcourt near the midcourt line, has the ball strike the midcourt line and as the ball comes up from the dribble, A1 touches the ball and continues to dribble. RULING: Backcourt violation. A1 may not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt, before it went to the backcourt. (9-9-1)

SITUATION 10: At halftime, Team A is leading the game. A1, A2 and A3 are passing the ball among themselves to run time off the clock while not allowing Team B to gain control of the ball. B1 goes out and pushes A1 to stop the clock. The official calls a personal foul. RULING: Incorrect call. The foul was deliberate and should have been called an intentional foul. A1 should shoot two free throws and Team A should be awarded the ball for a throw-in at the spot nearest the foul. (4-19-3c)
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Freddy's Not Dead ...

Thanks Freddy.

Could somebody in authority please add these to the interpretations "sticky".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:17am
Courageous When Prudent

"CASE BOOK CORRECTIONS: 3.5.4 SITUATION B (Page 23): Ruling for (c) should be Illegal Legal."
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tights, Long Pants ...

SITUATION 7: A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts or warmups instead of shorts? RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be “shorts.” Wearing tights below the uniform shorts would be legal. The player has the option of wearing long pants as the uniform “bottom” to be in compliance with NFHS rules as well. (3-4-5, 3-5-3)

Long pants can be any color. Correct?

Tights worn below the uniform shorts must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey. Correct?

I'm surprised the NFHS didn't make this distinction in the interpretation.

A lost teachable moment.

Must be a paper shortage at the NFHS.

Maybe they're running out of ink in their printers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 10, 2019 at 08:58am.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

If It's Not Legal It's Illegal ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

"CASE BOOK CORRECTIONS: 3.5.4 SITUATION B (Page 23): Ruling for (c) should be Illegal Legal."
I was also initially confused, until I remembered that in previous posts Freddy told us that strikethroughs and underlining don't carry over from the NFHS website to the Forum.

Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Billy, didn't we have a long discussion about this play or something similar?

"SITUATION 9: A1, while dribbling the ball in the frontcourt near the midcourt line, has the ball strike the midcourt line and as the ball comes up from the dribble, A1 touches the ball and continues to dribble. RULING: Backcourt violation. A1 may not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt, before it went to the backcourt. (9-9-1)"
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was also initially confused, until I remembered that in previous posts Freddy told us that strikethroughs and underlining don't carry over from the NFHS website to the Forum.
Looks like Freddy has some work to do then.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

8/10 interps are fashion police. That might be a new record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
SITUATION 10: At halftime, Team A is leading the game. A1, A2 and A3 are passing the ball among themselves to run time off the clock while not allowing Team B to gain control of the ball. B1 goes out and pushes A1 to stop the clock. The official calls a personal foul. RULING: Incorrect call. The foul was deliberate and should have been called an intentional foul. A1 should shoot two free throws and Team A should be awarded the ball for a throw-in at the spot nearest the foul. (4-19-3c)
At the risk of being pedantic (and beating a dead horse), does no one who knows proper terminology review these interps?

Also, "at halftime" implies that the first half is over.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fool Me Once, Shame On You ...

... Fool me twice, shame on me.

SITUATION 8: During the pre-game warm-up, the officials observe that A4 is wearing a ring with tape covering it. The officials notify A’s head coach that A4 must remove the ring in order to participate in the pre-game warm-up and the game. The coach and A4 respond that the ring cannot physically be removed. RULING: The referee informs A’s head coach that A4 cannot participate while wearing a ring, even with the tape covering it. (3-5-7)

During my foolish years as a young adult, on two occasions I wore my wedding ring while playing basketball that resulted in major injuries (ring caught in outdoor metal net resulting in the ring cutting my finger to the bone, finger jammed that became swollen overnight with ring acting as a tourniquet).

Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
"at halftime" implies that the first half is over.
Agree. So it must be a dead ball intentional contact technical foul.

Does anybody at the NFHS read these before publishing?

Shouldn't they have an editor? Wait ... I'm being told ... Who ... Theresia Wynns ... Never mind.

Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 08:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree ...

(Tony Orlando and Dawn, 1973)

SITUATION 2: A1 is wearing a ribbon to control her hair. RULING: Illegal. Ribbons are considered decorations and the athlete should not be allowed to enter the contest while wearing a ribbon in the hair. (3-5-4e)

3-5-D: Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair.

I've been screwing this up for forty years. Ribbons are made of cloth. Cloth is a legal material for hair control devices. How does one use a cloth ribbon to control hair? By tying it in a knot.

I've always allowed cloth ribbons tied in a simple knot, or simple bow (as used to tie one's shoes) to be used to control hair.

I guess that I was wrong. Not the first time, won't be the last time.

I'll be sure to rule this situation correctly for the next forty years.

Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 09:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Close, But No Cigar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Billy, didn't we have a long discussion about this play or something similar?
Great memory Raymond.

When I first started reading the interpretation, I said to myself, "Finally, a citation for that weird situation that we discussed many months ago on the Forum".

But after checking my notes, I determined that this was not the same situation we discussed.

SITUATION 9: A1, while dribbling the ball in the frontcourt near the midcourt line, has the ball strike the midcourt line and as the ball comes up from the dribble, A1 touches the ball and continues to dribble. RULING: Backcourt violation. A1 may not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt, before it went to the backcourt. (9-9-1)

The situation that we discussed many months ago was when a dribbler in the frontcourt puts a foot into the backcourt even though the dribbler isn't touching the ball at the time (Violation. Why? Because my mother said so.).

The earlier discussion dealt with the foot touching the division line, the recent interpretation deals with the ball touching the division line.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 10, 2019 at 10:52am.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 09:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Division Line ...

Quote:
Does anybody at the NFHS read these before publishing? Shouldn't they have an editor? Wait ... I'm being told ... Who ... Theresia Wynns ... Never mind.

In ancient times the midcourt (twenty-eight foot) line separated the midcourt from the forecourt, and among other things, was used to allow a new five second closely guarded count when the dribbler crossed the midcourt line moving forward.

Doesn't anybody at the NFHS read their own stuff?

2018-19 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis
Officiating Professionalism And Use Of Proper Terminology
Division Line (Not Center, Mid-Court, or Time Line)

Silly monkeys (In Memoriam, Jurassic Referee).

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 10, 2019 at 09:27am.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Tony Orlando and Dawn, 1973)

3-5-D: Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair.

I've been screwing this up for forty years. Ribbons are made of cloth. Cloth is a legal material for hair control devices. How does one use a cloth ribbon to control hair? By tying it in a knot.

I've always allowed cloth ribbons tied in a simple knot, or simple bow (as used to tie one's shoes) to be used to control hair.

I guess that I was wrong. Not the first time, won't be the last time.

I'll be sure to rule this situation correctly for the next forty years.
You are mis-reading the rule.

It's NOT:
the following may be used:
a. rubber
b. cloth
c. elastic bands

It's "a band made of rubber or cloth or elastic may be used ...", or "A rubber band, a cloth band or an elastic band may be used ..."
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 09:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You are mis-reading the rule. It's NOT: the following may be used: a. rubber b. cloth c. elastic bands. It's "a band made of rubber or cloth or elastic may be used ...", or "A rubber band, a cloth band or an elastic band may be used ..."
I actually thought about that (for the first time in forty years) before my recent post.

Makes sense. Thanks bob jenkins.

Nitpicking here. Prewrap used as a hair control device is not in the form of a band, but is tied in a knot. So would it be legal as a headband, but not legal as a hair control device? (Note: The recent interpretation is regarding prewrap used as a headband)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 10, 2019 at 11:31am.